TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

The Bush Years Compendium

The gif looks almost like a scene from "Arrested Development."

Yep. Why do you think the first thing that the Iraqi people did when Saddam's statue came down was to stomp on his face?

The best part of the whole shoe-throwing thing is when the Iraqi Prime Minister swats at the second shoe. If he would have somehow managed to catch it out of the air it might have been one of the great moments in history.

Bush's Christmas Pardons

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/23/bus...dons/index.html

Bush pardons man involved in Suffolk real estate scam

Isaac Robert Toussie, the Brooklyn developer who served time in prison for masterminding a massive Suffolk real estate scam, was pardoned by President George W. Bush yesterday, effectively wiping his criminal record clean....

...He and his father, Robert Toussie, were also at the center of an investigation into whether Suffolk County drastically overpaid for a land purchase, sparking lawsuits and an overhaul of the county's land acquisition program...

...Robert Toussie donated $28,500 to the Republican National Committee this year, according to Federal Election Commission filings.

Poll: 75% glad Bush is done

CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll finds broad dissatisfaction with Bush presidency

31 percent say Bush has been good president; 40 percent call his presidency "poor"

28 percent rate Bush the worst president ever

82 percent say he did not unite the country; 17 percent say he did

I'm not at all surprised that that many Americans value the letter R (or, in other cases, a D) over reason, logic, or facts staring them down in the very souls of their eyes. Bush is a Republican, therefor, he "united the country," despite the fact that the opposite was the acknowledged politcal and policy strategy for the entire length of the administration.

On the flip-side, some die-hards think that Barack Obama will actually stand up to the human rights of gay people.

I'd like to hear the reasoning from someone from the 17% who said that he united the country.

Well, the country is pretty united in viewing his presidency as a failure.

On the flip-side, some die-hards think that Barack Obama will actually stand up to the human rights of gay people.

Do you mean for?

I mean, gay marriage is something that's of relatively small importance when you take into account all the issues that George W. has fucked up like education, war in Iraq, economy, budget, etc. To be disappointed and still support him in spite of the fact that he doesn't follow up on gay marriage is one thing, to support GWB through all that he's done is quite another. I don't think you can compare the two.

Yeah, supposed to be 'for.'

It is a big deal. To borrow (and alter) a bit from our old friend, George Wallace: Human rights now, human rights tomorrow, human rights forever. As a country and as people, one of the worst things we can do is deny rights to certain individuals solely because they are different. There can be no exceptions for this, from any political party. In allowing Warren to pray at his inauguration, it allows the rhetoric of hate and oppression to shine brightly. It deserves no place in this country or anywhere else in the world. Period.

Obama hasn't had 8 years to fuck everything up, yet. It will take a considerable amount of effort to top Bush Junior's level of pathetic. Obama, more than likely, won't come close to that. But saying that gay people can't marry (let alone Warren's comparisons to pedophilia and farm-sex) is the exact same thing as not allowing black-white marriages in the past. We are denying rights based on a difference. Human rights is an incredibly important issue and I have no problem saying somebody has violated this tenet, whether I voted for them or not.

Even worse is how "conservatives" (the ones who think the biggest gov't in history is conservative) want a federal law to outlaw this right for these people, and want tax money spent on enforcing this new law.

What human rights are gay people actively being denied in the US, snuffbox?

The right to Marry for one thing.

Yes, absolutely. It is a manufactured right but, then, so are almost all others. Our rights as people, our inalienable rights, did not sprout up from the ground. They have been conceived in the minds of people and have grown up from that conception. Marriage has become one of those rights. Married people find themselves qualified for unique tax structures, the ability to visit each other in hospitals beyond closing time, make joined business decisions, adopt children, etc. Homosexuals, SOLELY because they are different than the majority (and those in power) are denied the right to marry one another and, therefore, are denied all of the attributive rights and benefits.

I don't really care about gay marriage anymore, but...

The right to Marry for one thing.

How's this? I'm a heterosexual and I can't marry a dude either. We're treated as equals in that regard. I find it silly that people really thought Barack Obama was going to stand up for gays. What's in it for him?

Gay rights are never going to be of importance in politics. Most people hate gays. That's just what it is. I don't want to read someone telling me I'm a homophobe because I said it. I don't really give a shit if you feel that way though. I suppose someone needed to say it for what it is, because for some reason internet users fail to understand this. Why's that? I don't know. Politicians who stand up for gay rights won't get anything out of it. Of most importance to politicians is being elected. Unfortunately we never see politicians stand up for what they believe in, but rather what's best for their political capital. Some do that more than most, but that's the #1 priority for all of them.

Being able to get married isn't a human right either. At least I don't think so. That said, I don't think it's fair that gay couples are unable to visit their partner after closing time when they're in the hospital. Things of that nature...are very unfair.

That's easy to say from the distance of the internet. But facts are awfully stubborn. You don't have to be homophobic to be wrong, you just have to be wrong. Laziness and apathy are not reasons to deny rights, either. People will fight for human rights whether it scares the shit out of others or not. The delicacy of people is not nearly as big a concern as the freedom that we ALL deserve.

Abolitionists were not in the majority, either. Not even up to emancipation in 1863, nor after. This is not a game of popularity, this is not high school. It is real life and is the denial of certain aspects of life to certain people.

It is easy as punch and pie to avoid issues like these. They frighten us. They make us feel uncomfortable. We easily talk ourselves into fear and beligerence and inaction. But that does not mean that those who will fight for rights for ALL humans will stop and say, "you know what? those gay people are just too different and its just not cool. im gonna stop now!" When one cares about freedom and rights for all mankind, stopping is not ever an option no matter what direction the zyphyrs of public opinion blow.

How's this? I'm a heterosexual and I can't marry a dude either. We're treated as equals in that regard.

This is casuist bullshit. You have the right to marry the person you love, and you want to deny that to others.

Gay rights are never going to be of importance in politics. Most people hate gays. That's just what it is. I don't want to read someone telling me I'm a homophobe because I said it. I don't really give a shit if you feel that way though. I suppose someone needed to say it for what it is, because for some reason internet users fail to understand this. Why's that? I don't know. Politicians who stand up for gay rights won't get anything out of it. Of most importance to politicians is being elected. Unfortunately we never see politicians stand up for what they believe in, but rather what's best for their political capital. Some do that more than most, but that's the #1 priority for all of them.

African-American rights are never going to be of importance in politics. Most people hate blacks. That's just what it is. I don't want to read someone telling me I'm a racist because I said it. I don't really give a shit if you feel that way though. I suppose someone needed to say it for what it is, because for some reason civil rights activists fail to understand this. Why's that? I don't know. Politicians who stand up for civil rights won't get anything out of it. Of most importance to politicians is being elected. Unfortunately we never see politicians stand up for what they believe in, but rather what's best for their political capital. Some do that more than most, but that's the #1 priority for all of them.

I think it holds up.