TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Gran Torino

Clint Eastwood...check

December release...check

Film no one was aware of....check

Just give the codger the Oscars now.

I don't know, I've heard plenty of this movie. A lot of people speculated it might be a Dirty Harry sequel at first.

Eastwood stays out of the spotlight when he's not promoting a movie, his movie shoots are generally low budget and no frills, and this movie has no name actors besides himself- it's easy to keep a low profile.

I swear, I'm so tired of Clint Eastwood films (I'm a fan of Unforgiven, Mystic River, LOIJ) that are nothing more than Oscar bait. I nearly fell out of my seat laughing when Changeling didnt get the reviews that many expected.

Shut up, CBright.

How is Gran Torino "Oscar bait", just because it stars Clint Eastwood? The reason his movies are considered "Oscar bait" is that they are usually of very high quality so studios release them so they can get the maximum attention from awards voters.

Thats just the way I feel about Clint's movie, and nothing will change that. I respect his work, I like his movies, and I will probably see this movie eventully, but you cant tell me with a straight face that his films are not Oscar bait.

Thats just the way I feel about Clint's movie, and nothing will change that. I respect his work, I like his movies, and I will probably see this movie eventully, but you cant tell me with a straight face that his films are not Oscar bait.

What does that mean though? He's got 3 Oscars, I doubt he needs anymore. He makes movies with stories that are interesting to him, that can motivate him to get behind the camera.

As I said, his movies become "Oscar-bait" because of his previous body of work and the talented that he can get to star in his movies.

How is Gran Torino Oscar bait? Why can't it just be a well-made movie?

I nearly fell out of my seat laughing when Changeling didnt get the reviews that many expected.

Sometimes you make me sad. While the reviews aren't as great as Flags or Letters, it still has a positive rating on metacritic and buzz is very high on Jolie's performance.

Gran Torino was good. I really liked the ending, but I found the editing and pacing to be a bit choppy. Eastwood carried the film fairly effortlessly, but didn't really get a ton of support acting-wise, though I found the sister and brother to be likable despite their awkwardness, as well as the ginger priest despite his gingerness. The trailer had most of the good badass parts in it.

I understand, I think the mods should be more willing to move posts from the comments thread to the actual threads.

It ain't hard!

So, with spoiler tags I assume, can someone explain to me how this isn't supposed to be another Dirty Harry flick?

I was under the impression it actually was until seeing his name was Walt Kowalski (I guess Killer Disney wasn't subtle enough)... and now I'm wondering how this movie that's been promoted with nothing but Eastwood doing Dirty Harry in 3 second clips and the word Oscar thrown around is supposed to be some triumph in film-making that in no way makes a person think of Dirty Harry. Someone enlighten me please.

It's very little like Dirty Harry, actually, although I could see why the trailer would make you think that. The gang and him protecting the family isn't really the main story of the movie.

It's nothing like Dirty Harry at all. The only similarity is that it stars Clint Eastwood. I was watching it thinking "Alright, this is a pretty good movie.", then at the end I was like "Wow! Awsome movie!" So yeah.

Clint Eastwood sez we're a bunch of pussiesvia Film Drunk

I was a shy kid. But a lot of my childhood was spent punching the bullies out.

We live in more of a pussy generation now, where everybody’s become used to saying, “Well, how do we handle it psychologically?” In those days, you just punched the bully back and duked it out. Even if the guy was older and could push you around, at least you were respected for fighting back, and you’d be left alone from then on.

I don’t know if I can tell you exactly when the pussy generation started. Maybe when people started asking about the meaning of life.