TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Guys who you THOUGHT sucked

Spin-off topic!

I imagine a lot of answers will be about heel wrestlers we just didn't like as kids, but I will say when I was 11 I could not stand Dustin Rhodes in 1992 WCW. Seeing some of that stuff again, he seemed to be in some pretty good tag matches but I was pretty damn happy when Windham turned on him.

Greg Valentine used to bore the hell out me. Mr. Perfect too. Razor Ramon, heel or face, was as dull as dishwater for me, especially how he was pushed to the moon.

I'm ashamed to say I never got what was so interesting about Cactus Jack.

Tito Santana was a guy I was never very interested in watching. I briefly got into the whole El Matador deal, but quickly realized he was still going to lose against any real opponent and therefore didn't really like his matches. Actually, I think El Matador made Tito MORE interesting to me - whenever I rented tapes that had the "old" Tito on them, I didn't care at all. Now I LOVE seeing his old matches on 24/7.

Tito always ruled to me, I was sad that he became a total JTTS later in his career. But then the first match I ever saw was Strike Force vs. two masked jobbers on a Sunday morning show.

As a kid I never understood why Harley Race was supposed to be any good. I thought he was an old man that was fat and didn't do a hell of a lot out there, but this was his later WWF stint as The King. I even knew he was a former NWA world champion and had no idea WHY. That said, he's a guy you have to watch a lot and then you pick up on more of what he does.

I actually agree on Cactus, at least his WCW era work. Until ECW made the whole hardcore thing "cool" I never thought guys who did this style were any good. Just brawlers who couldn't really wrestle in the ring. Cactus fighting all over the building wasn't really good wrestling per se.

I used to hate - HATE, HATE, HATE - Shawn Michaels. I really started watching the WWF in late '97, so HBK was in full-on awesome prick heel mode, but I just caught on that his matches followed a similar format and was like "zzzzzzzzzzzzz." That, and I couldn't understand why he was disrespecting Bret Hart like he was.

Ric Flair, too. The first time I saw Ric Flair was on an episode of WCW Pro Wrestling in '97 after hearing so much about him (even from just friends who loved wrestling), and it was a tag match of Flair/Anderson against 2 jobbers (I think either High Voltage or Disorderly Conduct). So I just thought Flair was an old man who yelled "WOO" a lot while doing very little in the ring.

Not really a guy I thought sucked, but I thought Steve Austin was a part of the DOA for a short while considering he was bald (like Skull and 8-Ball) and wore a leather vest (like they all did). Meh. I also thought Power Rangers Zeo was pretty cool.

I too never got Greg Valentine. My first memories of him are of his feud with Ronnie Garvin in WWF, and I thought Valentine looked like a joke. I couldn't understand why Jimmy Hart was even bothering to manage him.

I also thought Terry Taylor was really boring when I first saw him, as the Red Rooster, which even as a kid I thought was dumb (probably because it was).

Oh yeah...when I first started seeing a little bit of WCW, I thought Lex Luger sucked. Not so much that he was a bad worker...I just saw this guy who looked like a bodybuilder, but seemed like he couldn't hang with Sting, and was destined to lose the strap. Of course, shortly after, he did, and then went to be part of Vince's WBF project.

I loved how when after Valentine turned face, he'd signal for the Figure 4, and do the headbutt to the belly instead. Then he'd give a different signal and drop an elbow or something like that. Then he'd give a 3rd signal, and FINALLY go for the Figure 4. That shit would always throw the announcers off. Tremendous.

Without a doubt Hulk Hogan. I hated him when I was younger, but now I have a much greater appreciating of what he was able to accomplish. He's still not as good as Savage, Dibiase, Steamboat and the like, but he was far better than the Ultimate Warriors of the world. He was the greatest showman of his day.

I'm also in the Tito camp. I thought he was a joke as a kid as I didn't start watching until after his IC Title days, but he was quite talented. I still prefer Martel though even now.

It is interesting that there has been some discussion about Greg Valentine, as he's somebody that I always liked. I always had trouble in the late 80s wondering why a guy like the Hammer was hanging around with a goof like the Honkytonk Man.

I'm also in the Tito camp. I thought he was a joke as a kid as I didn't start watching until after his IC Title days, but he was quite talented. I still prefer Martel though even now.

I was always pretty neutral on Tito. As a kid, I kind of liked him and even then knew he was a good wrestler, but even as a young mark knew he'd never be champion or anything.

It's funny you mention Martel...from the moment I saw him as a kid in the WWF, I really liked him...I actually didn't see him until after Strike Force had broken up, but for some reason I thought he was entertaining. I think I liked how he would do jumping jacks and stuff in the ring, and was super arrogant. I even remember play wrestling with my friends and being Rick Martel, when others would be Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan, go figure.

I even marked out when he had a comeback run in WCW, and won the TV Title. Too bad he got injured soon after and was forced into retirement.

I agree on Hogan, as a worker at least.

I mentioned in another thread that I've really come to like Rick Martel lately when I never really thought that much of him when I was younger.

I really thought IRS was terrible as a kid but now I've come to realize that Rotunda was a pretty good if somewhat bland worker saddled with a terrible gimmick. He was also the target of much scorn from my younger brother and I after my mom picked to play as him after we somehow roped her into playing Royal Rumble on the Sega Genesis with me..

I really thought IRS was terrible as a kid but now I've come to realize that Rotunda was a pretty good if somewhat bland worker saddled with a terrible gimmick. He was also the target of much scorn from my younger brother and I after my mom picked to play as him after we somehow roped her into playing Royal Rumble on the Sega Genesis with me..

Let me guess...your mom beat you.

I honestly can't remember who won (thought it's safe to assume it was me!), I was just amused that she picked to play as, who my brothers and I deemed, "the wrestling nerd".

Another guy I thought sucked for the longest time and I'm still not sure why was Billy Kidman. I came around to him around after he left The Flock in '98 but I hated the guy for some reason as a dweeby babyface and in the Flock.

Being a Shawn Michaels fan as a kid, I couldn't stand Bret Hart. He was so boring, using the same spots in every match and attempting to keep the match on the mat at times (which really drove me crazy as a kid.) Owen, however, was a great wrestler in my book. He could work any style and make himself and his opponent look good.

I guess I just really liked heels as a kid, and especially cocky heels. Most of my favorite wrestlers were on the top of their game as heels and I've never really rooted many faces on to victory.

Along those same lines I thought Hulk Hogan sucked big time. I've changed my mind on Bret, but, while I respect Hogan, I don't consider it a pleasure to watch him in the ring or even watch most of his interviews.

Greg Valentine, Tito Santana, Jimmy Snuka, Texas Tornado, Skinner, The Rockers, Haku (before he became a giant badass), and there's a few others I'm sure I just remember right now.

Ronnie Garvin. WWF-era that is. I always used to think he looked incredibly goofy, whether on offence or selling, and that the Garvin Stomp was the dumbest thing I'd seen. I've since gone the other way. To be fair, he does still look kinda goofy, but he doesn't suck.

Also Andre, mainly because I first saw him towards the end of his career, late 80s, when he was becoming less and less mobile.

As a kid, I used to think Ted DiBiase was horrible.

Interesting as i was going to say dibiase but i thought it would of been a dumb arguement due to only being a kid when he was at his peak in wwf. but dibiase in all fact is one of the best workers ever in my opinion

If DiBiase is a great worker, name me a great match the guy ever had. Interesting to hear DiBiase mentioned because he might go in another category with me: Guys who everyone thought was great, but really isn't.

Garvin was actually really bad ass in the NWA, but the problem is he probably shouldn't have beaten Flair for the title since he didn't have the cred.

As far as Snuka goes, he's another guy I find overrated. Maybe it's due to him being washed up by the time I started watching, but I have just never gotten why he was anything great. He was a good high flyer for 25 years ago, but jumping off a cage isn't anything remarkable today. Even for the early 80s WWF there are matches like Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask that blow away Snuka's work.

If DiBiase is a great worker, name me a great match the guy ever had. Interesting to hear DiBiase mentioned because he might go in another category with me: Guys who everyone thought was great, but really isn't.

Garvin was actually really bad ass in the NWA, but the problem is he probably shouldn't have beaten Flair for the title since he didn't have the cred.

As far as Snuka goes, he's another guy I find overrated. Maybe it's due to him being washed up by the time I started watching, but I have just never gotten why he was anything great. He was a good high flyer for 25 years ago, but jumping off a cage isn't anything remarkable today. Even for the early 80s WWF there are matches like Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask that blow away Snuka's work.

I agree with snuka i have never been a huge fan of his work. and i always ask people to name me great matches he had and they always use the muraco cage match or the backland one which where both nothing special.

As for dibiase go check his work in mid south as a babyface. his matches with hogan where good . he got a good match out of the warrior. You need to look at how great a worker he was before he went to the wwf.

And as for garvin hes the worst choice nwa heavyweight champion ever. and yes i include tommy rich in that. Garvin was the ultimate midcarder whose main thing was a stupid looking stomp

DiBiase was the classic example of a great utility guy. He could never be the guy on top or anything like that, but he could do what was needed to advance a program and such.

I agree with snuka i have never been a huge fan of his work. and i always ask people to name me great matches he had and they always use the muraco cage match or the backland one which where both nothing special.

As for dibiase go check his work in mid south as a babyface. his matches with hogan where good . he got a good match out of the warrior. You need to look at how great a worker he was before he went to the wwf.

And as for garvin hes the worst choice nwa heavyweight champion ever. and yes i include tommy rich in that. Garvin was the ultimate midcarder whose main thing was a stupid looking stomp

At least Rich was super-over at the time they put the belt on him.

As for Snuka, I liken him jumping off the top of the cage to what Foley did in the HITC match with the Undertaker. Snuka is remembered more for the spectacle, which at the time was something people just weren't used to seeing. The same with Foley. The match with the Undertaker is nothing to write home about, but it's the spectacle of Foley nearly killing himself on two separate instances that keeps people talking about how great that match was.

His match against Virgil at Summerslam was terrific. He also had great matches against Randy Savage in 1988. And, as mentioned, his Mid-South work was awesome.

The problem with DiBiase was that he never got to work much with good workers, as was the norm in the WWF at the time. The only other singles guy who was a really good worker was Savage, with Jake Roberts being somewhat above average. You're not going to get to wrestle many classics when you're constantly in there with the likes of Hercules, Ultimate Warrior, Brutus Beefcake, and Dusty Rhodes.

I remember a borderline **** match he had against a Rockers era Shawn Michaels. It's on one of the Coliseum Videos. It must have been taped in San Antonio because it was super competitive and IIRC Michaels may have even gotten a DQ or count out victory.

I won't say DiBiase is one of the greats. But he was one of the pretty damn goods and he had one of the most beloved heel gimmicks (oxymoron?) in WWF history.

dibiase is one of the great workers of the buisness . but true hes not one of the all time greats.

i just thought of a other guy i used to think sucked but really doesnt. ric martel. his awa matches where damn good.

I remember a borderline **** match he had against a Rockers era Shawn Michaels. It's on one of the Coliseum Videos. It must have been taped in San Antonio because it was super competitive and IIRC Michaels may have even gotten a DQ or count out victory.

I won't say DiBiase is one of the greats. But he was one of the pretty damn goods and he had one of the most beloved heel gimmicks (oxymoron?) in WWF history.

Agreed. DiBiase is remembered so fondly because of how well he played the Million Dollar man gimmick.

Agreed. DiBiase is remembered so fondly because of how well he played the Million Dollar man gimmick.

Off topic slightly a second i remember a story i heard that the million dollar man gimmick was meant for someone else but i can not ever remember who it was. History as shown it worked out will as dibiase played the role so well.