TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/28 - 11/2

And let's get this out of the way, here are your two possible nightmare Big XII South three-way tie scenarios.

1) Texas Tech beats Oklahoma State

2) Oklahoma beats Texas Tech and wins out

Three-way tie: Texas who beat Oklahoma who beat Texas Tech who beat Texas

OR

1) Oklahoma State beats Texas Tech and wins out

2) Texas Tech beats Oklahoma

Three-way tie: Texas who beat Oklahoma State who Texas Tech who beat Texas

Based on the Big XII tiebreak procedures it would end up going to the BCS rankings to decide who advances to the Big XII Championship, which I think most likely in both scenarios it would end up being Texas but still way too far out to predict how that would shake out.

Yeah, but if OU beats Tech and OSU that should probably vault them above Texas in computer rankings and probably in voters. So the 3-way tie really seems to work out best for OU.

Right now I see the BCS as this: 1) 'Bama 2) Penn State 3) Tech 4) Texas 5) OU (or florida, they seem interchangable) 6) Florida (or OU) 7) USC 8) OSU

And what a sad state the OU-Nebraska rivalry has ended up in. Then again, it's nice to hang our most points against them ever tonight.

I think Oklahoma definitely gets it under tiebreak scenario #1. They'll be really close in votes with Texas tomorrow and if Texas Tech holds on to a Top 2 ranking for a month before facing OU and is #1 when they play them, a win by the Sooners should be enough for them to jump one spot over the Horns.

BTW, even though I didn't post my rankings here last week, I still did them, so here is this week's Top 25 with previous week's ranking included. (I didn't do the close spots this week, because there's a huge dropoff after #25 and I feel really shaky trying to rank teams like South Carolina and Maryland.)

1. Penn State 9-0 (3)

2. Texas Tech 9-0 (6)

3. Alabama 9-0 (2)

4. USC 7-1 (4)

5. Florida 7-1 (5)

6. Texas 8-1 (1)

7. Oklahoma 8-1 (7)

8. Oklahoma State 8-1 (8)

9. TCU 9-1 (10)

10. Boise State 8-0 (11)

11. Ohio State 7-2 (13)

12. Utah 8-0 (12)

13. Missouri 7-2 (14)

14. California 6-2 (22)

15. Georgia 7-2 (9)

16. Georgia Tech 7-2 (NR)

17. North Carolina 6-2 (17)

18. Ball State 8-0 (18)

19. Michigan State 8-2 (19)

20. Arizona 5-3 (21)

21. Florida State 6-2 (16)

22. BYU 8-1 (20)

23. LSU 6-2 (23)

24. Northwestern 7-2 (NR)

25. Oregon State 5-3 (24)

I don't agree with Texas falling behind Florida and USC...I think with who Texas has played and and their loss coming to a top 10 Tech team at the last second should be something that keeps them above a USC team that got beat by Oregon State and a Florida team that lost to Ole Miss.

Maybe its my bias...maybe its my hatred for USC and slight hatred towards Florida but no way should either of them get placed above Texas. I don't care about the SEC and how its god's gift to College Football nor do I care about USC and the star-power they bring to games..Texas went 4 weeks in a row playing teams in the Top 10 all with QB's who have been mentioned for the Heisman and 3 of those 4 weeks against the Nation's top WR's..

I can definitely see your point about Texas deserving it more, but USC and Florida have just been so sick lately. Florida's last 4 SEC games (including two against nationally ranked teams), they've won by 31, 30, 58, and 39. In USC's wins this year, they've won every game except the Arizona game by at least 28 points including 2 blowouts over Top 30 teams and 3 shutouts.

Texas meanwhile, has some pretty big holes in the secondary as they rank 80th in pass efficiency defense and 116th in raw passing yards allowed. They've given up more points this season than USC and Florida have combined.

I can definitely see your point about Texas deserving it more, but USC and Florida have just been so sick lately. Florida's last 4 SEC games (including two against nationally ranked teams), they've won by 31, 30, 58, and 39. In USC's wins this year, they've won every game except the Arizona game by at least 28 points including 2 blowouts over Top 30 teams and 3 shutouts.

Texas meanwhile, has some pretty big holes in the secondary as they rank 80th in pass efficiency defense and 116th in raw passing yards allowed. They've given up more points this season than USC and Florida have combined.

True, but it could just be a product of the murderous streak of games they just went through, or the fact that their run defense forces opponents to pass. Here's the breakdown in opponent's passing yardage...

v. FAU - (255 on 39 pass attempts, 37 yards on 23 rush attempts)

v. UTEP - (267 on 46 pass attempts, 145 yards on 31 rush attempts)

v. Rice - (301 yards on 48 pass attempts, 17 yards on 24 rush attempts)

v. Arkansas - (180 yards on 28 pass attempts, 26 yards on 11 rush attempts)

v. Colorado - (217 yards on 38 pass attempts, 49 yards on 28 rush attempts)

Up to this point, the most points Texas allowed was 14.

v. Oklahoma (387 on 41 pass attempts, 48 yards on 26 rush attempts)

v. Mizzou (318 on 41 pass attempts, 30 yards on 19 rush attempts)

v. OK State (199 on 27 pass attempts, 217 yards on 37 rush attempts)

v. Tech (474 on 53 pass attempts, 105 yards on 28 rush attempts)

EDIT: Herbstreit has it Bama-Penn-Tech-Florida-USC in the top 5, which I can agree with.

After you made that list, I went and looked through USC's box scores quick. They haven't given up 180 passing yards in a game once all season. While it's true that Texas has faced a lot of good passing teams, I think the fact that USC gave up less passing yards in their worst game than Texas did in their best game speaks volumes.

USC hasn't played anybody except maybe Ohio State. I think they'll stay behind Texas, Florida and OU who all have better wins on their resume. (I don't even have to mention who Texas has played. But Florida has beaten Georgia and LSU while OU has beaten Cincy who turned out to be a decent win and TCU which is looking like a great win right now). Plus OU and Texas have better losses than USC.

The computers are going to kill USC, I don't see how they vault any of those teams in the final BCS rankings. Basically I think everyone needs to lose twice for USC to play for a national title. A one-loss Big XII champion and one-loss SEC champion would play each other in the title game before USC would even sniff it.

BTW I think Florida may be the best one loss team in the country. I'd put them ahead of the Big XII champ if they won the SEC and were going to face Penn State or something in the title game.

Florida's blowouts are more impressive than USC's right now. USC's last two are against Washington State and a winless Washington team. The Trojans would be more impressive putting 80 up against some school like Akron or a I-AA program.

My top 5 would be...

Alabama

Penn State

Texas Tech

Florida

Texas

BTW I think Florida may be the best one loss team in the country. I'd put them ahead of the Big XII champ if they won the SEC and were going to face Penn State or something in the title game.

I could actually see them going with a 1 loss Big 12 team only because of the recent Big 10 / SEC title games and I don't know how many people would like to bare witness to what some would assume to be another slaughter of a storied Big 10 program at the hands of yet another fast and talented SEC team.

Top 5 for the hell of it:

Alabama

Penn State

Texas Tech

Texas

Florida

(Like I said earlier, I put more stock in Texas' loss than I do Florida's and give them a bit of credit for the recent string of games)

OU then USC round out my 7 with USC being a good distance away from the top 5.

Edit: ..and just like I figured, Kirk Bohls (writer for the Austin American Statesman) hopped right back off the Texas bandwagon and lambasted the entire team. :rolleyes:

Honestly, who cares whose blowouts are more impressive? Penn State is going to win out. That takes care of one NC spot, leaving one spot for maybe 5-7 one loss teams to fight out over. Any team that gets it will deserve it.

Do we really know 100% that Penn State is going to win out? They have a road game at Iowa and Michigan St. is the finale, so it's not like they are closing with nothing but the Washingtons of the world.

USC should have zero shot at the title game. The Pac 10 is utter garbage this year, ranking behind even the Mountain West. If there are 1 loss teams from the SEC and Big 12 then those teams have to get it instead.

...and when USC doesn't get it, I expect you to be just as humble about it and not go on some crazy tangent of "USC wuz robbed!!!~1@!" or how they could beat any of those 1-loss teams etc.. etc..

I guess people don't realize that the BCS WILL put USC in if they can. It doesn't matter if they should or not, if there are no undefeated teams to put in, one of the two teams will be USC for sure (assuming they win out, which I doubt). But go ahead, keep trying to convince yourselves that the voters have zero bias towards USC.

1. Alabama (40) 9-0 1498 2

2. Penn State (14) 9-0 1437 3

3. Texas Tech (6) 9-0 1409 5

4. Oklahoma (1) 8-1 1290 4

5. Florida 7-1 1268 7

6. USC 7-1 1232 6

7. Texas 8-1 1227 1

8. Oklahoma State 8-1 1066 10

9. Utah 9-0 1018 9

10. Boise State 8-0 958 11

11. TCU 9-1 862 12

12. Ohio State 7-2 843 13

13. Missouri 7-2 794 14

14. Georgia 7-2 693 8

15. LSU 6-2 683 15

16. BYU 8-1 591 17

17. Michigan State 8-2 516 21

18. Ball State 8-0 503 19

19. North Carolina 6-2 359 22

20. Georgia Tech 7-2 289 NR

21. Maryland 6-2 243 25

22. California 6-2 192 NR

23. West Virginia 6-2 172 NR

24. Florida State 6-2 150 16

25. Northwestern 7-2 120 NR

Others Receiving Votes

Kansas 101, Tulsa 99, Pittsburgh 91, Minnesota 52, South Carolina 18, Oregon State 9, Connecticut 9, Illinois 8, Cincinnati 8, Arizona 5, Miami 4, South Florida 3, Oregon 3, Kentucky 2

New Coaches poll. Texas behind OU? WTF?!

I guess it's still all about when you lost in the season, not who you lost to.

This leaves OU in good position in the BCS for the possible 3-way tie scenario.

Honestly I don't think OU has a shot at the NC game because Penn State will win out and a 1-loss SEC team will get the other spot (thus giving us 3 straight years of SEC champions and ESPN slobbering over themselves for the SEC).

I just want OU to be ranked high in the BCS so if there is a 3-way tie they would win the south and probably win a 3rd straight Big 12 title. That's really what I'm hoping for here.

Of course it's just now November 2 and November was the month when all the insanity happened last season.

AP Poll

1 Alabama (46) 9-0 1,600 2

2 Texas Tech (12) 9-0 1,528 6

3 Penn State (6) 9-0 1,525 3

4 Florida (1) 7-1 1,398 5

5 Texas 8-1 1,353 1

6 Oklahoma 8-1 1,324 4

7 USC 7-1 1,250 7

8 Oklahoma State 8-1 1,198 9

9 Boise State 8-0 1,030 11

10 Utah 9-0 1,028 10

11 TCU 9-1 958 12

12 Ohio State 7-2 898 13

13 Missouri 7-2 830 14

14 Georgia 7-2 808 8

15 LSU 6-2 746 15

16 Ball State 8-0 594 18

17 Brigham Young 8-1 536 17

18 Michigan State 8-2 456 22

19 North Carolina 6-2 418 21

20 West Virginia 6-2 303 NR

21 California 6-2 288 NR

22 Georgia Tech 7-2 286 NR

23 Maryland 6-2 242 25

24 Florida State 6-2 128 16

25 Pittsburgh 6-2 96 NR

This poll seems to make much more sense than the Coaches poll.

I was saying that because isn't the AP poll no longer part of the equation into the BCS rankings? I mean, its nice to see the AP keep us in the top 5, but if it doesn't figure into the overall rankings, then it doesn't mean much to me.

I was saying that because isn't the AP poll no longer part of the equation into the BCS rankings? I mean, its nice to see the AP keep us in the top 5, but if it doesn't figure into the overall rankings, then it doesn't mean much to me.

I think he's referring to the fact the AP can crown their own national champion just like the BCS.

If you're looking at real quality wins, Oklahoma, USC, and Florida, all have the same number: one.

USC blew out a Top 15 team in Ohio State, Florida blew out a Top 15 team in Georgia, and Oklahoma blew out a Top 15 team in TCU. The next best win actually belongs to USC as they beat a very good Arizona team on the road that should be ranked #12 according to Sagarin predictor. Florida's still getting credit for beating LSU at home, but the Tigers are absolute garbage this year. They're 1-2 vs. teams with a pulse and are still getting credit for their national title win last year with completely different players. I'd take Cal or Arizona over LSU in a heartbeat on a neutral field.

Also, the fact that the bottom of the Pac-Ten is really weak this year is completely cancelled out by the fact that USC doesn't play any cupcakes at all in non-conference. Their non conference schedule this year was: at Virginia, Ohio State, Notre Dame. Just think of that WSU game as their cupcake for the season like Florida playing the Citadel or Oklahoma playing Chattanooga. Oklahoma at least has the good loss argument, but Florida doesn't even have that as losing to Mississippi at home is way, way worse than losing to Oregon State on the road.

BCS Rankings

1. Alabama

2. Texas Tech .9372

3. Penn State .9286

4. Texas

5. Florida

6. Oklahoma

7. USC

8. Utah

9. Oklahoma State

10. Boise State

11. Ohio State