TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BruteSquad_BRODY

NFL Week 9

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I have this weird fear that this Sunday is going to be Detroit's Dead Cat Bounce game of the season. All they have to do is pass a lot; the Bears clearly can't stop the pass from any x to any y. It's more likely that the Lions suck again, though. I do know that it will be a very well-dressed game. I fucking hate those orange jerseys, and I'm happy that I won't see them again.

The thing about Singletary is that there's no way he can sustain that fire-and-the-passion thing if the team is irretrievably bad, which I feel the 49ers indeed are. He can yell and scream about teamwork and effort and it won't accomplish a single thing, because the players will just tune him out. There are some reports that he dropped his pants at halftime to most graphically demonstrate how the team was getting fucked up the ass in the first half. Did he learn that from Buddy Ryan? Surprise of surprises, Singletary's rant is probably an even bigger hit in Chicago than it is in San Francisco, where he's now seen as the Anti-Lovie. While I, as a fan, appreciate his forthright demeanor and dedication to old-school football over Lovie's two-bit obfuscation, I'm not sold on this idea that he needs to coach here, because he was on the '85 Bears, and is obviously uniquely qualified to coach the Bears for that reason. You'd think we learned our lesson with John Paxson and Denis Savard. Nah.

We have a winner!

New Orleans Saints choose kicker Hartley and punter Pakulak

Posted by Mike Triplett, The Times-Picayune October 29, 2008 4:32PM

Glann Pakulak, who has signed with seven NFL teams but never played in an NFL game, is the Saints' third punter this season.Kicker Garrett Hartley and punter Glenn Pakulak emerged as the newest Saints on Wednesday after they outshined several other applicants during group tryouts at the team's practice facility.

Neither has appeared in an NFL game. Hartley, a 22-year-old rookie, was with the Denver Broncos this summer as an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma, but he was released before training camp.

Pakulak, a 28-year-old journeyman, has preseason and NFL Europe experience, having bounced around with six other teams since 2003. He earned his first regular-season gig Wednesday.

"I was really hoping if I had a good performance, they would overlook the fact that I'm a rookie and look at the fact that I played at a school like Oklahoma, and I've kicked in big-time situations, " said Hartley, who drilled a 58-yarder through the uprights and into the back wall of the Saints' indoor facility at one point Wednesday, according to Pakulak. "I'm just excited to have the opportunity to go out and kick a football. That's what I've been doing the last eight years, and that's what I know how to do."

Hartley made 32 of 35 field-goal attempts in his final two seasons at Oklahoma, though he did miss five extra-point attempts out of 76 tries as a senior.

The Saints have had a short leash on their kickers this year, most recently cutting rookie Taylor Mehlhaff after three games this week.

The team also tried out veteran Dave Rayner and Arena Football League standout A.J. Haglund on Wednesday. Two weeks ago, they brought in veterans Billy Cundiff and Aaron Elling for workouts.

It's possible the team will use this bye week to give Hartley an extended audition before deciding whether they want to keep him ahead of the more experienced choices.

Hartley said he understands there are no assurances in this league, but he said that pressure will only help him perform at the highest level "day in and day out."

"We were impressed with both Garrett and Glenn throughout the competitive sessions, and we will continue to evaluate the positions closely throughout the remainder of the season, " Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis said in a statement.

Pakulak beat out veterans Josh Miller and Scott Player and rookie Waylon Prather in a tryout Wednesday.

The former Kentucky standout said it was "good to finally be in the right place at the right time, so to speak, " after so many missed opportunities over the years.

He most recently was with Oakland this preseason, where he averaged 45 yards on 15 punts. However, he didn't stand much of a chance against five-time All-Pro punter Shane Lechler.

"It's been a long road. It's probably easier for me to name the teams I haven't been with than the teams I have been with, " said Pakulak, who has spent time with Oakland, Chicago, Tennessee, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Seattle and the Amsterdam Admirals.

He said cattle calls like the one he experienced Wednesday are nothing new to him.

"I just went out there and tried to stay relaxed, " Pakulak said. "I've done this so long where it's gotten to the point that I have nothing to lose. When you feel that way, you do your best."

Guest Vitamin X
The thing about Singletary is that there's no way he can sustain that fire-and-the-passion thing if the team is irretrievably bad, which I feel the 49ers indeed are. He can yell and scream about teamwork and effort and it won't accomplish a single thing, because the players will just tune him out. There are some reports that he dropped his pants at halftime to most graphically demonstrate how the team was getting fucked up the ass in the first half. Did he learn that from Buddy Ryan? Surprise of surprises, Singletary's rant is probably an even bigger hit in Chicago than it is in San Francisco, where he's now seen as the Anti-Lovie. While I, as a fan, appreciate his forthright demeanor and dedication to old-school football over Lovie's two-bit obfuscation, I'm not sold on this idea that he needs to coach here, because he was on the '85 Bears, and is obviously uniquely qualified to coach the Bears for that reason. You'd think we learned our lesson with John Paxson and Denis Savard. Nah.

So that's why he said whatever they discussed in the locker room stays there in the press conference. Huh.

While I tend to agree with you, Singletary's been coaching for a long time now as a position coach (LBs, naturally) and I think has been Nolan's "assistant head coach" since 2004. He even interviewed for the Cowboys job before Wade Phillips took it, so he is at least somewhat highly thought of in coaching circles and it's not just because he was on the 85 Bears nad is a HOF linebacker.

Also sending star tight end Vernon Davis to the locker room with 10 minutes left because he committed a 15 yard penalty was a pretty bold move. You never see that done these days.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I'm not saying he doesn't have legitimate credentials. I'm saying that there's a certain contingent of fans that want him because he's an '85 Bear. Irony: mediocre loudmouth Jim McMahon lives in relative seclusion, while Super Bowl Shuffle holdouts Dan Hampton and Steve McMichael will never fucking go away. The former stutters through analysis on pretty much every possible media outlet, and the latter is a shill for various strip clubs.

The best part of the Singletary thing is that he didn't immediately pull his pants back up, so long after the rump-oriented metaphor had come and gone, he was still standing there in the locker room yelling at everybody with his pants down around his goddamn ankles. The other best part of the Singletary thing is the outtake of the Fox Sports sideline reporter asking if he called Bill Walsh to tell him about the new gig. If the world of Mike Singletary provides us with half the amusement that we'd hypothetically get from a season of Mike Ditka, then he's a coaching success. We're almost there. He just has to ask a reporter who he's crapping.

The ESPN BottomLine ticker story on this said something like "49ers head coach Mike Singletary pulled down pants during halftime of Sunday's game." Thought that was amusing.

I just saw the AP article today about how Joey Porter is currently leading the NFL in sacks and is "on pace" to break the single season sacks record. I didn't even realize he was having such a good year. I doubt he breaks the record, but good for Joey. He'll always be a favorite of mine and I hated seeing all the talk about how terrible a free agent signing he was last year.

Also, when will the NFL ever stop:

Safety Ryan Clark revealed that he was fined $5,000 by the NFL for wearing eye black with the No. 21 etched into it Sunday. Clark said he did it to honor his late Redskins teammate Sean Taylor, who was murdered in his Florida home last year. Clark, who wears No. 25, wears a No. 21 practice jersey in honor of Taylor. Clark said he will continue to wear the eye black with "21" in it.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Now Singletary is miffed that the pants-drop was leaked, because the locker room should be sacred. So wait, he goes into sacred places and takes his pants off? What is he, a Catholic priest? But seriously, folks, I feel bad for him. His reputation as a talented motivator and cerebral athlete is dead in the water, to say nothing about his coaching career. I compared him to Da Coach, but he deserves better than to be Black Ditka: Singletary has always been considered one of the good guys, not some profiteering embezzling asswipe.

Guest Vitamin X

Well, this is quite the frustrating broadcast so far. Not the game itself, but the fact there's been so many timeouts and other game stoppages that I think 20 or so of the past 30 minutes have been spent in commercial breaks.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Go figure, that's the one time there's not an illega black in the back. The Bears are playing like shit. They were mentally defeated after the interception tourchdown was called back,. Bears can't stop a fucking THING.

Guest Vitamin X
Go figure, that's the one time there's not an illega black in the back.

Black people are allowed to play in the NFL wherever they want!

Late into the 2nd qtr, Houston is down 21-7.

Once again, we're sucking on the road and will more than likely drop to 3-5 and lose what little momentum we gained in these past three games.

Go figure, that's the one time there's not an illegal black in the back.

Black people are allowed to play in the NFL wherever they want!

Put some red pepper and oregano on that, that's good positioning

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Looks like we have our Mike Brown season-ending injury for the year, too. Rains, pours.

Guest Vitamin X

Could we get all the streaks broken today? Tennessee is in a tight game with Green Bay, Cincy's up by 14, and Detroit is beating Chicago right now with THE SEX CANNON coming into the game.