TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Character Moments That Now Make You Cringe or Shudder

OK, going through some old PPVs I have on DVD...watching No Way Out 2004, the Lesnar/Guerrero WWE Title match...

And for some reason, I got a chill-shudder when Lesnar yelled "JUST DIE EDDIE!" during the match.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, where, when, and such.

Jerry Lynn writing "DIE" on his chest in, what I believe was Justin Credible's blood in ECW. I believe it was near the end of their run or so. Guilty as Charged 200 or 2001 may have been the PPV.

Seeing Owen Hart as the Blue Blazer

Yeah, when I rewatched WrestleMania V that made me cringe a bit...and brought a tear to my eye.

...though I still like the Blue Blazer entrance theme.

When Vince McMahon was "killed" in a limo explosion after The '07 Draft on Raw, and on Smackdown that week they had various superstars' cut promos "remembering" Mr. McMahon, just like when Brian Pillman, Owen Hart, and Eddie Gurrero, died in real life. Looking back, it was even more cringe worthy considering what would happen with Benoit and family just a little over a week later.

When Vince McMahon was "killed" in a limo explosion after The '07 Draft on Raw, and on Smackdown that week they had various superstars' cut promos "remembering" Mr. McMahon, just like when Brian Pillman, Owen Hart, and Eddie Gurrero, died in real life. Looking back, it was even more cringe worthy considering what would happen with Benoit and family just a little over a week later.

Ugh...yes.

I was there for the Smackdown/ECW tapings I think the night after that Raw.

The first One Night Stand, the big brawl at the end, and Benoit is getting ready to do a Diving Headbutt to someone, I think its JBL, and SCSA tells him to kill his ass.

The first One Night Stand, the big brawl at the end, and Benoit is getting ready to do a Diving Headbutt to someone, I think its JBL, and SCSA tells him to kill his ass.

Close.

It was Bischoff.

Jerry Lynn writing "DIE" on his chest in, what I believe was Justin Credible's blood in ECW. I believe it was near the end of their run or so. Guilty as Charged 200 or 2001 may have been the PPV.

It was Heatwave '00. This is what I was going to post.

Not a character moment, but I watched No Mercy 05 shortly after Eddie died. While he was making his entrance, he titantron flashed "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie." Of course, the camera zoomed in tight on him, causing the words "DIE, DIE, DIE" to flash behind his head. I thought that was mildly spooky.

Anyway, damn near any of the Eddie explotation stuff after the death.

I'm not very religious, but the McMahon vs. God stuff was way over the line.

It was actually Steve Corino's blood. He did the most blading since that year.

Here's a classic one that involves Eric Bischoff.

*Hogan and Bischoff at backstage and looking into a mirror when the Warrior appears in the mirror*

Hogan: I SEE YOU WARRIOR

Fans: IT'S THE WARRIOR

Announcers: IT'S THE WARRIOR.

Bischoff: What are you looking at Hogan I don't see a damn thing. You're crazy.

It was actually Steve Corino's blood. He did the most blading since that year.

I was going to do the Cornio correction myself. That was a fun match

Not character related, but every match from the first two Survivor Series PPV's has somebody who is deceased. And only one of the five matches from the 3rd annual Survivor Series is comprised completely of performers who are still alive.

Also, you can only watch one Royal Rumble without seeing a participant who is deceased- this year's Rumble.

How about the Intercontinental title match at WM7? Mr. Perfect vs the Big Boss Man, with Joey Marella as the referee, Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary, and featuring a run-in by Andre the Giant.

How about the Intercontinental title match at WM7? Mr. Perfect vs the Big Boss Man, with Joey Marella as the referee, Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary, and featuring a run-in by Andre the Giant.

Actually, there's about four matches in a row at that WrestleMania that has at least one if not two participants that are deceased.

Demolition vs. Tenryu & Kitao: Crush (not sure if either Japanese wrestler has passed)

The afformtentioned IC Title match

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs. Earthquake: Quake

Legion of Doom vs. Power & Glory: both Hawk and Hercules.

Also, the second and third matches on the card

Dino Bravo vs. The Texas Tornado: Both

British Bulldog vs. Warlord: Bulldog.

Anything involving Benoit at One Night Stand 05. The aforementioned "Kill that sumbitch" line, the announcers saying "and for everybody who thought ECW was just about blood and violence" when Benoit came out for his match, and I remember quite a few lines of commentary being cringe-inducing in that context.

Anything involving Benoit at One Night Stand 05. The aforementioned "Kill that sumbitch" line, the announcers saying "and for everybody who thought ECW was just about blood and violence" when Benoit came out for his match, and I remember quite a few lines of commentary being cringe-inducing in that context.

Before the Benoit incident, for me, the cringing came with how many times Joey Styles said Mike Awesome could die and such.

Before the Benoit incident, for me, the cringing came with how many times Joey Styles said Mike Awesome could die and such.

Yes. I'd forgot all about Joey Styles talking about Awesome until I re-watched the show about a month ago.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Complete with Joey Styles lamenting that Mike Awesome's suicide dive didn't really result in him killing himself.

Owen probably found it hard to sell while he was just hanging there like a pinata. It looks like he's trying to convey something, at least.

To contribute, the son of Andre angle they did for The Giant in 1995 always made me feel a little bad inside. Although I think Scott Hall's "Were you really Andre's son, man?" was hilarious. Oh, well. Give and take.