TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LucharesuFan619

Playing Nintendo 64 on your computer

From what I understand, this is possible. I downloaded Project 64 and downloaded a winrar file (like 10 MB) of Super Mario 64 and unzipped the file, but Project 64 won't open the .z64 file. Any idea what I need to do? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by "most emulators don't want you to unzip the file?" Like, why would they not want me to be able to unzip the file? I keep getting an error message when I try to open the .z64 file with Project64, saying, "Attempt to open file failed."

How do I know what system requirements are necessary to run it? I have XP.

Thanks for the assistance. I appreciate it very much.

It's probably something with the rom itself. Is the Mario 64 z64 file more than 8.00 MB? It shouldn't be. Try another rom if you haven't. Also check to see if your plugins are configured correctly.

Yeah, that's how Mario 64 starts...

Go to Options and Configure Controller Plugin and set up the controls. I'll tell you though, it's not fun playing N64 games with a keyboard.

If you're going to play N64 games on an emulator, it will make a world of difference if you get an adapter so you can use an actual N64 controller rather than use some other type of controller.

Emulator's are great for playing all the old classics and giving you a chance to 'own' all the old consoles.

Video Game folder?

Most emulators are more than capable of playing ROMs straight from the ZIP file. Project 64 is among them. You can use the game file itself, but ZIPs are more convenient and reduce file size. The bottom line is there's a reason why they work together as well as they do.

Yes. Get a real controller. Finding an N64 controller and a USB adapter is best, but there are also a handful of good controllers for use on the computer that can be had for cheap.