TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BX

NFL Preliminary Hall of Fame 09 List

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=090...mp;confirm=true

CANTON, Ohio -- Defensive end Bruce Smith, defensive back Rod Woodson and tight end Shannon Sharpe are first-year eligible candidates among the list of 133 players, coaches and contributors who make up the preliminary list of modern-era nominees for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2009.

There are some really good players on the outside, looking in. Of the first year players, Bruce Smith is the only lock, although I'd love to see the Woodsons go in as well.

From the second-years and on, look who's still waiting. Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Dermontti Dawson, Russ Grimm, RANDALL MCFUCKINGDANIEL, Sam Mills, Karl Mecklenburg, Steve Atwater....

So who'll make it this year?

Besides Smith, I think Rod Woodson and Carter will also get in. I mean, Woodson was voted to the NFL's 75th anniversary team after only 7 seasons in the league for Christ's sake. With Carter, I guess they made him wait a year since they made Irvin wait (retarded logic but still...). I'm not sure who else is making it though.

Guest Vitamin X

Randy Gradishar, Andre Reed, Cris Carter, Rod Woodson, and Steve Atwater would be my pick, although I guess that's too many Broncos.

Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, & Shannon Sharpe are going in.

I still don't really understand how NONE of "The Hogs" are in the HOF yet. If anything Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby should be pretty automatic and some of the others like Jim Lachey should be considered.

With that said, Art Monk & Darrell Green BOTH went in last year, The Skins fans took over Canton and the coverage of the event seemed very Redskins-dominated, it was a very cool moment for a Skins fan to experience, so I am pretty much content with a few years going by before a Redskins player gets in. I just don't want them to be forgotten because there were other great O-lines that came after the "Hogs" and the HOF Commission seems to have a habit of comparing performance & stats against future players and not their own peers which seems like bullshit to me.

We've discussed the NFL HOF Wide Reciever issues before.

They don't bother putting in a Reciever (no matter who) unless they have to put in someone else, and then they work off of some mythical list weighing numbers, superbowl wins, and how long you've been waiting.

Randy Gradishar, Andre Reed, Cris Carter, Rod Woodson, and Steve Atwater would be my pick, although I guess that's too many Broncos.

It would help if he made the preliminary list first...

Guest Vitamin X

It would help if he made the preliminary list first...

True, and that's b.s. he's not on there, either. In fact, looking at that prelim list is a bit jaw dropping, like, how the hell are some of these guys still not in?

The seven that head into the Hall should be (in order of importance)

Rod Woodson

Shannon Sharpe

Bruce Smith

Derrick Thomas

Cris Carter

Roger Craig

Randall McDaniel

Truth be told, the NFL HOF needs to increase the number of players who are allowed to be inducted every year to 10.

Here's my votes for the 7 that should make it...

DE Bruce Smith

WR Cris Carter

DE Ed "Too Tall" Jones - Was a key member of the Cowboys D in the 1970's and is underrated compared to modern players

G Russ Grimm

LB Derrick Thomas

P Ray Guy (The guy is arguably touted over and over as the best punter ever by peers... get him in!)

Contributors: Ed or Steve Sabol (The impact that NFL Films has had on the sport is incredibly underrated)

Bruce Smith, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Woodson are no-brainers. You could make a case for each being the best ever at his position. Wouldn't necessarily agree on that for Smith and Sharpe, but they each have some big numbers in their favor.

I totally forgot Cris Carter was eligible last year. It boggles the mind that he wasn't inducted easily. They have to put him in this year, right?

I'd hate to be one of the judges for this thing, because looking over the list, there are so many deserving players, and limiting it to 7 is incredibly tough. Outside of those first four, I think I'd finish with Derrick Thomas, Russ Grimm, and Randall McDaniel. Atwater, Reed, Dawson, and Guy just miss the cut this year, but should all go in soon. It's a tough year to get in when Smith, Sharpe, and Woodson all become eligible at once.

Bruce Smith, Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, Carter & Randall McDaniel should be shoe-ins. All five probably won't get in, but they should. After that there are more options. John Randle probably misses out simply by being on the same team as two guys who are even more worthy. I really think they need to make room for Richard Dent shortly. That guy was an absolute beast during the best playoff run in the history of the NFL and is sixth all-time in sacks (tied with Randle oddly enough). Dawson was the best centre in football for a decade. He should get in at some point, if not now. Steve Tasker has no shot, but he's the best special teams player ever. That should count for something.

Ray Guy should have been in a long time ago.

CANTON, Ohio -- Four first-year eligible players, John Randle, Shannon Sharpe, Bruce Smith, and Rod Woodson, are among the 25 semifinalists being considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2009. The Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors chose the 25 semifinalists from the recently announced list of 133 preliminary nominees.

Although he has been eligible since 1999, this is first time that Roger Craig has been a semifinalist. Each of the remaining 20 nominees has been on the semifinalist list at least once prior to this year. Although no coaches are among the semifinalists, the list includes three contributors, Art Modell, Paul Tagliabue and Ralph Wilson.

The complete list of 25 modern-era semifinalists is as follows:

» Cris Carter, WR - 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

» Roger Craig, RB - 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings,

» Terrell Davis, RB - 1995-2001 Denver Broncos

» Dermontti Dawson, C - 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

» Richard Dent, DE - 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

» Chris Doleman, DE/LB - 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers

» Kevin Greene, LB/DE - 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers

» Russ Grimm, G - 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

» Ray Guy, P - 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

» Charles Haley, DE/LB - 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

» Lester Hayes, CB - 1977-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

» Cortez Kennedy, DT - 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

» Bob Kuechenberg, G - 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins

» Randall McDaniel, G - 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-01 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

» Art Modell, Owner - 1961-1995 Cleveland Browns, 1996-2003 Baltimore Ravens

» John Randle, DT - 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks

» Andre Reed, WR - 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

» Shannon Sharpe, TE - 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens

» Bruce Smith, DE - 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000-03 Washington Redskins

» Ken Stabler, QB - 1970-79 Oakland Raiders, 1980-81 Houston Oilers, 1982-84 New Orleans Saints

» Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner - 1989-2006 National Football League

» Steve Tasker, Special Teams/WR - 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills

» Derrick Thomas, LB - 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

» Ralph Wilson, Owner - 1960-current Buffalo Bills

» Rod Woodson, CB/S - 1987-1996 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers, 1998-2001 Baltimore Ravens, 2002-03 Oakland Raiders

The list of 25 semifinalists will be reduced by mail ballot to 15 modern-era candidates. That list increases to 17 finalist nominees with the inclusion of the two recommended candidates of the Hall of Fame's Seniors Committee. The Seniors Committee nominees, who were announced in August, are Bob Hayes and Claude Humphrey. Hayes, a three-time All-NFL pick spent 11 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys (1965-1974) and one season with the San Francisco 49ers (1975).

Humphrey, a five-time first-team All-Pro defensive end, played with the Atlanta Falcons (1968-1978) and Philadelphia Eagles (1979-1981).

The results of the modern-era reduction vote to 15 finalists will be announced in early January.

To be considered for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a nominated player or coach must have been retired at least five years. A contributor, who is a nominee who has made outstanding contributions to pro football in capacities other than playing and coaching, may still be active in his pro football career.

Although there is no set number for any class of enshrinees, the Pro Football Hall of Fame's current ground rules do stipulate that between four and seven new members will be selected each year. No more than five modern-era nominees can be elected in a given year and a class of seven enshrinees can only be achieved if both senior nominees are elected.

The Class of 2009 will be determined at the Selection Committee's annual meeting on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009, in Tampa, Fla. the day before Super Bowl XLIII. The election results are announced immediately following the meeting at a press conference at the Super Bowl media headquarters.

Link

Hm. Well, Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith and Shannon Sharpe should be locks. I would put Cris Carter, Randall McDaniel, Derrick Thomas and Roger Craig as my other four.

I think this might be the year Tagliabue makes it in, though, which would leave us with 6.

Maybe it shouldn't have taken as long as it did to get Monk in, but Carter's better than him in just about every area, including nearly doubling him in career TDs.

I'd like to see Ralph Wilson go in this year, not because I like him in any way shape or form, but because he's guaranteed to go in at some point and I'm a believer that when possible, vote someone in when they're still alive to enjoy & appreciate it.

Also that'd be a great time for him to announce the debut of the Toronto Bills, just to be a dick.

Maybe it shouldn't have taken as long as it did to get Monk in, but Carter's better than him in just about every area, including nearly doubling him in career TDs.

Well I'd attribute that to the offensive schemes of the teams they played for. When I think Washington Redskins of the 80s, I don't think Greatest Show on Turf. But the 1998 Vikings? That was as explosive an offense as any. The advantage cannot be denied.

Well I'd attribute that to the offensive schemes of the teams they played for. When I think Washington Redskins of the 80s, I don't think Greatest Show on Turf. But the 1998 Vikings? That was as explosive an offense as any. The advantage cannot be denied.

The Joe Gibbs Redskins of the 80s and early 90s were definitely an offensive powerhouse. When the 1998 Minnesota Vikings set the record for most points scored in a season, the team they beat to get the record was actually the 1983 Redskins. From 1983 to 1991, the Redskins led the league in scoring twice and only missed the top five three times.

Ben Coates needs to find a way into the Hall sooner or later. The guy was one of the best tight ends in the 90's with Shannon Sharpe including being named to the NFL All Decade team of the 90's, broke the tight end season receiving record until Tony G snagged it, a multiple pro bowl selection and he has a Super Bowl ring with another appearance. His 50 career touchdowns puts him ahead of Kellen Winslow and Ozzie Newsome, sadly his catches sits at 499 and his yards 5,555 in a nine year NFL career.

I really hope he doesn't get left out of the Hall of Fame. Getting into the Patriots Hall of Fame is nice and all but that is another guy who I fear is going to get left out even though he did so damn much coming out of nowhere. Feels like he's going to get left out and Shannon will get in. It's fair Shannon gets in over him but I still think they should both go in.

The Joe Gibbs Redskins of the 80s and early 90s were definitely an offensive powerhouse. When the 1998 Minnesota Vikings set the record for most points scored in a season, the team they beat to get the record was actually the 1983 Redskins. From 1983 to 1991, the Redskins led the league in scoring twice and only missed the top five three times.

And were they scored through the air? I thought their bread and butter was the running game with the Hogs and Riggins and etc.

And were they scored through the air? I thought their bread and butter was the running game with the Hogs and Riggins and etc.

Not in the record year of '83 (although they were still top 5), but at their peak in the late 80s they did have the top ranked passing offence in the NFL. Keep in mind that aside from 1995, Minnesota wasn't that good passing the ball during Carter's tenure right up until 1998 when Moss got there and they suddenly exploded.

Keep in mind that aside from 1995, Minnesota wasn't that good passing the ball during Carter's tenure right up until 1998 when Moss got there and they suddenly exploded.

I'll agree that the passing offense was not terribly hot prior to acquiring Warren Moon since the lack of a consistent solid QB in the early 90's hurt the team in that regard (as they weren't hurting for receivers with the two Carters plus Jake Reed), but the Vikings did have a top ten passing offense under both Moon and then Brad Johnson, even before they picked up Moss and the bricklayer

Guest Czecherbear

I don't understand "having to wait a few years" to get in. Statistics aren't wine. You should know by the end of a guy's career whether he gets the thumbs-up or the thumbs-down, and realistically only wait two or three years before induction, if that. Also, every non-baseball Hall of Fame is such a fucking turnstile as it is (and even them...); how can you induct ten guys a year without a Weimar Republic Deutsch-Marks By The Wheelbarrow devaluing of the institution? If you seek validation of your favorite team's players, maybe you should just derive it from number retirements and club-oriented recognitions of that sort. Canton's worthless. You can read that as a synecdoche or not.

Guest Czecherbear

What can I say? I fucked up. I was mistaught early and it's hard to break.

Though I looked around the Internets and appearently whole/part and part/whole are both valid. I didn't think so myself, but I'm trying like damn to save face after getting humiliated on my advanced metaphors here in TSM Sports. I legit "GULPed" when you posted. It was pretty bad.