TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWF Survivor Series 1987

Randy Savage, Jake Roberts, Ricky Steamboat, Brutus Beefcake, and Jim Duggan
vs.
The Honky Tonk Man, Harley Race, Hercules, Ron Bass, and Danny Davis

The Fabulous Moolah, Rockin' Robin, Velvet McIntyre, and The Jumping Bomb Angels (Itsuki Yamazaki & Noriyo Tateno)
vs.
Sensational Sherri, The Glamour Girls (Leilani Kai & Judy Martin), Donna Christanello, and Dawn Marie

Strike Force (Tito Santana & Rick Martel), The Young Stallions (Paul Roma & Jim Powers), The Rougeau Brothers (Jacques & Raymond Rougeau), The Killer Bees (Jim Brunzell & B. Brian Blair), and The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith & Dynamite Kid)
vs.
The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart), The Islanders (Haku & Tama), Demolition (Ax & Smash), The Bolsheviks (Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zukhov), and The New Dream Team (Greg Valentine & Dino Bravo)

Hulk Hogan, Paul Orndorff, Don Muraco, Ken Patera, and Bam Bam Bigelow
vs.
Andre the Giant, One Man Gang, King Kong Bundy, Butch Reed, and Rick Rude

The lighting of the arena seems darker after the women's match.

And hey, it's Rob Van Dam kissing Ted Dibiase's feet!

Watched some of this show today. Jesse was on fire and had a couple of good lines. Him trying to get Gorilla to stand during the Soviet national anthem and noting that there would be no hair-pulling between Bam Bam and King Kong Bundy. A few other ones that I can't remember.

MVP of this show is without a doubt Bam Bam Bigelow. He worked his *** off against opponents who weren't exactly great workers in Bundy, OMG, and Andre. He definitely could have been someone big for the company.

We get all that promotion of it on PTW, then, after they start promoting the Slammys, they put it up?!?!?!

I'd imagine the only reason we're getting it now is that we're a couple days outside of November.

I love this show, women's match be damned. Since some have already pointed out my go-to oddball fact about Savage and his teammates, I'll just point out that this is the first of three consecutive Survivor Series matches that involve Randy Savage in opposition of Hercules.

Way to celebrate losing, Hogan. What a douche.

Jesse threatening to come out of retirement and take the title from Hogan just to end his douchebaggery is awesome.

Yeah, Hogan was a crybaby. He didn't even allow Andre one second to celebrate. The moment he got the three, you could already hear the audience and knew that he was coming. This is 1987 so the fans loved it. By 1992 (Royal Rumble 92 to be exact) the fans finally started to turn against it.

I love how Joey Marella made Hogan leave the ring because he had "tagged" Patera. Jesse was correct again, Marella was trying to protect Hogan.

I remember I would never rent this since it was only 2 hours on the CV release. I will have to check it out.

Is the '87 tag match better or worse than the '88 one?

Ah, your enjoyment of the 1987 and 88 tag survivor matches depends on your tag team JTTS preferences. If you are a fan of the Young Stallions (or Bees) then you'll prefer 1987. If you are a big time Conquistadors mark, then 1988.

I remember watching this years ago on tape and wondering if the 20-man tag would ever end. I also remeber being completely floored by the shit The Jumping Bomb Angels were doing.

I remember watching this years ago on tape and wondering if the 20-man tag would ever end. I also remember being completely floored by the shit The Jumping Bomb Angels were doing.

I can remember conversing with fellow eleven year old wrestling marks about how amazing the Angels were. Great, great stuff.

Ah, your enjoyment of the 1987 and 88 tag survivor matches depends on your tag team JTTS preferences. If you are a fan of the Young Stallions (or Bees) then you'll prefer 1987. If you are a big time Conquistadors mark, then 1988.

88 also has The Rockers and Hart Foundation as faces (a rare Shawn and Bret team-up!). I recall Shawn taking an awesome looking spinebuster from Arn Anderson. It also has a crippled Dynamite Kid which isn't all that fun. It did set up the Demolition / Powers of Pain double turn though, so I give it the slight nod. Both are good though.

88 also has The Rockers and Hart Foundation as faces (a rare Shawn and Bret team-up!). I recall Shawn taking an awesome looking spinebuster from Arn Anderson. It also has a crippled Dynamite Kid which isn't all that fun. It did set up the Demolition / Powers of Pain double turn though, so I give it the slight nod. Both are good though.

If only Shawn/Bret were feuding now. They would be teaming up every other week and going over the current Tag Team Champions. It is also worth mentioning that the Rougeaus were eliminated early to get them away from the Bulldogs and out of the building in order to avoid any further altercations between Jacques and Dynamite.

The worst part about the 20-man match in 1987 is that the CV release totally clips out the British Bulldogs' elimination.

The women's tag is 25 minutes of sheer fun. Everyone is just bumping all over the place and flying everywhere. I vaguely remember The Glamour Girls and the JBA having a match on a SNME or something like that. Can anyone help me out here?

If only Shawn/Bret were feuding now. They would be teaming up every other week and going over the current Tag Team Champions. It is also worth mentioning that the Rougeaus were eliminated early to get them away from the Bulldogs and out of the building in order to avoid any further altercations between Jacques and Dynamite.

I've heard about those problems between Jacques and Dynamite. Dynamite was a total psycho.

Watched the first half. Honky takes a great ***-kicking from Savage, Steamboat, and Roberts. It's funny how all three of those guys had major issue with him during that past year. Survivor Series addressed major feuds like Hogan/Andre and Savage/Honky but were able to successfully continue them and leave things totally unresolved. Might be another reason why the event was covered much on WWF television afterwards.

One little note...I thought the brief chop fest between Hogan and Andre was pretty cool. Nobody chopped like Andre and that must have felt like your chest was collasping on you.

Well, really how are feuds going to be resolved in a huge Survivor tag match? The only time I can think of is 2001 where the WWF beat The Alliance to end that, but that was a team oriented feud.

I'll give the edge to the 1987 tag match. I never truly understood Fuji's turn on Demolition. Why would the manager of the tag champs turn on his men while his guys still had the belts?

I believe the kayfabe excuse was that Demolition stopped listening to Fuji. Add to that the Powers of Pain looked a helluva lot more imposing than Demoltion.

I did love how the crowd thought Fuji turned face.

That Demos-Powers turn is actually the exact same thing as Heyman turning on Brock in favor of Big Show in 2002.

Except the Heyman double-cross paid off.

I believe the kayfabe excuse was that Demolition stopped listening to Fuji. Add to that the Powers of Pain looked a helluva lot more imposing than Demoltion.

I did love how the crowd thought Fuji turned face.

That was the end for The Powers of Pain. They were really over with the crowd but any type of long-term future for them as big stars pretty much ended. But Demolition became big-time faces so it was worth it.

Speaking of kayfabe reasons, I love how Gorilla keeps saying that it was Beefcake who left the Dream Team when all three members of the Dream Team left Brutus Beefcake in the ring by himself after their WMIII match.

The awesome part of the 1988 match besides the Fuji angle is also that the Conquistadors made the final 2 teams of that match.

I have to wonder about 1987 after watching again last night. Why not just have the Stallions be the last team surviving and have them go against the Harts and Islanders? It was puzzling having the Bees and Stallions as 2 face teams with the Islanders the lone heels left, since it put a sort of sympathy heat on the heels (not to mention that the Bees screwed them with the masks).

Why didn't the Young Stallions get pushed after that match? You'd think they would use that win to get into contendership once Demolition won the belts, but they were just JTTS.

Survivor Series 87 was a bit puzzling since absolutely none of the results of the show were spoken of until they showed some clips at SummerSlam 88. The Stallions already had their televised title shot at SNME in Oct 87. The Bees were kind of thrown in w/ the Stallions as a show of goodwill to them it appeared.

I hear ya on sympathy being put on the Islanders. But I'm sure many watching live probably assumed the two plucky face teams would blow it somehow and Heenan & The Islanders would steal a win.