TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

WWE General Discussion-November 2008

WWE is coming back to Portland for the first time in a year and a half on December 30th. A house show of course. We haven't gotten a WWE TV taping since '97 (Monday Night Raw the night after IYH: De-Generation X, a show it seems like every male in my third grade class went to EXCEPT me...stupid parents!). There is a bit of interest in the fact that it's a RAW house show. For some reason, we've gotten Smackdown shows since '04 and usually ones with terrible lineups. Cena, Batista, CM Punk Randy Orton, and HBK are the big names they're advertising. I'll probably be picking up the $20 Uecker seats and I'll be sure to provide a scintellating report of the evening's events.

Come on, there really isn't such a thing as Uecker seats at the Civic Center. The place is too damn small. I dream some day Portland will wake up and build something similar to what Manchester has, since they get TV all the time, not to mention concerts and other shows real arena receive. I'll probably just drive to NH for Raw.

Aw come on, The Civic Center is a real arena. Motley Crue is coming! But yeah, all kidding aside... I hear ya. It seems like we've been waiting for a new arena for the past ten years...

Me and my wrestling show going buddy were considering going to Manchester for RAW but we'd just save the time and money and go see the show in Portland and use the money we save on gas and parking to see an indy show in Sanford featuring The Honky Tonk Man on the 28th. Though now that I think of it, it's technically possible that I could go to all three!

Joanie Laurer recently changed her name to "Chyna" so now her new legal name is "Miss Chyna". I guess if you only change it to one name, you have to put a "Mister" or "Miss/Misses" in front of it. Warrior's name on all legal documents is "Mister Warrior".

But I don't recall Steve Austin being harassed by the Six Million Dollar Man people. I thought he just changed it because "Steve Austin" might as well should be his name. I thought he just did it because it'd save a lot of headaches, not having to clarify a real name.

Joanie Laurer recently changed her name to "Chyna" so now her new legal name is "Miss Chyna". I guess if you only change it to one name, you have to put a "Mister" or "Miss/Misses" in front of it. Warrior's name on all legal documents is "Mister Warrior".

But I don't recall Steve Austin being harassed by the Six Million Dollar Man people. I thought he just changed it because "Steve Austin" might as well should be his name. I thought he just did it because it'd save a lot of headaches, not having to clarify a real name.

Steve Austin seriously changed his name to his ring name? When did he do that? I knew the reasons he took that ring name but I never knew that he legally changed it.

I assume it's a reference to something popular that I don't follow. I guess people were too accepting of KRF's original gimmick so he amped it up to completely terrible. Just pretend nothing ever happened.

I assume it's a reference to something popular that I don't follow. I guess people were too accepting of KRF's original gimmick so he amped it up to completely terrible. Just pretend nothing ever happened.

People accepted the gimmick?

Where people wanted to serious discuss things such as wrestling (and I really do have to laugh at the absurdity of such a thing, even if I fall into it), no, it was awful. At the bottom of the board, some found it the best gimmick in months. I admit in small doses there was some comedy, but gimmicks shouldn't be a diversion, not a derailment.

294784.jpg

- As reported last week, Michael Hayes was suspended from the company due to a situation with Hornswoggle. Hayes comes from the southern school of pro wrestling, which is a very different world than the politically correct world of 2008. Some people accept Hayes and his lingo as is, because it is just his way of speaking, but others wonder how the man can work for a publicly traded company and the language be acceptable. Hayes was a worker that got over by his promo work; his ability to chive talk and the joke is that he considers himself "short" due to his ability to relate with dwarfs. The problem is when dwarfs don't consider him in that way. Many feel that Max Mini got such an easy release; with the ability to go to TNA if he wishes in May is due to issues with Hayes.

- The situation was that Hayes was talking with Little Beaver, joking around because they are close behind the scenes. Beav was discussing how cool Hayes was in his day and jokingly said, "You're more of a m*dget than I am." Later in the day Hayes was talking with Hornswoggle and was trying to get him to open up his character and be more out going. Like dwarfs used to be portrayed, and stated to Horny, "I am more of a m*dget than you are." There were witnesses to the conversation. Later in the evening, Hayes gave Horny a playful head BUTT (this was a Freebirds trademark to show that they liked you, dating back nearly 30-years) and Finlay told him never to do that again.

Note from Venkman: The above is comedy.

294784.jpg

- As reported last week, Michael Hayes was suspended from the company due to a situation with Hornswoggle. Hayes comes from the southern school of pro wrestling, which is a very different world than the politically correct world of 2008. Some people accept Hayes and his lingo as is, because it is just his way of speaking, but others wonder how the man can work for a publicly traded company and the language be acceptable. Hayes was a worker that got over by his promo work; his ability to chive talk and the joke is that he considers himself "short" due to his ability to relate with dwarfs. The problem is when dwarfs don't consider him in that way. Many feel that Max Mini got such an easy release; with the ability to go to TNA if he wishes in May is due to issues with Hayes.

- The situation was that Hayes was talking with Little Beaver, joking around because they are close behind the scenes. Beav was discussing how cool Hayes was in his day and jokingly said, "You're more of a m*dget than I am." Later in the day Hayes was talking with Hornswoggle and was trying to get him to open up his character and be more out going. Like dwarfs used to be portrayed, and stated to Horny, "I am more of a m*dget than you are." There were witnesses to the conversation. Later in the evening, Hayes gave Horny a playful head BUTT (this was a Freebirds trademark to show that they liked you, dating back nearly 30-years) and Finlay told him never to do that again.

Didn't the exact same thing happen with him calling Lashley (or someone) a nigger after joking around with another black guy using the word?

Didn't the exact same thing happen with him calling Lashley (or someone) a nigger after joking around with another black guy using the word?

It was Mark Henry. Hayes apparently said to Henry that he was more of a nigger than Henry was.

I know the answer because Big Dave answered my e-mail about it, but sadly he did so in a WO.com general feedback column. Those things were archived very poorly (they would pretty much vanish from any findable link on the site after 2 weeks with no real archives to look in) and of course they're all gone now.

The name "George Cannon" is coming up a lot and that sounds like the name Meltz gave in his answer.

Edit: Found the answer Meltz gave me - it sounds like someone copied the deal over on kayfabememories, then someone on DVR then copied just the response to answer someone else asking the question.

"There was a lawsuit many years ago by George Cannon who claimed the name Superstars of Wrestling, so for legal reasons, it was changed to WWF Superstars. I don't know if that's the answer, but it makes sense."

It was Mark Henry. Hayes apparently said to Henry that he was more of a nigger than Henry was.

He does a mean moonwalk, so I can see where he's coming from...

It seems like they usually pick seven inductees, usually having ties to the area where WM is. Here's my list:

Steve Austin

Terry Funk

Steve Williams

The Freebirds

Ted DiBiase

Junkyard Dog

and probably some random woman/valet, because they usually seem to have a token one.

The reason Ted DiBiase Jr. was written out of WWE storylines is because he's landed a movie role. He will be starring in WWE Films' second straight-to-DVD movie, The Marine 2. John Cena, who starred in the first Marine film, is not currently scheduled to appear in the sequal. DiBiase is expected to be off television for a while.

The reason Ted DiBiase Jr. was written out of WWE storylines is because he's landed a movie role. He will be starring in WWE Films' second straight-to-DVD movie, The Marine 2. John Cena, who starred in the first Marine film, is not currently scheduled to appear in the sequal. DiBiase is expected to be off television for a while.

Good for him, but god damnit.

It seems like they usually pick seven inductees, usually having ties to the area where WM is. Here's my list:

Steve Austin

Terry Funk

Steve Williams

The Freebirds

Ted DiBiase

Junkyard Dog

and probably some random woman/valet, because they usually seem to have a token one.

JYD was inducted in 2004.

I'd imagine the list would include the Von Erich Family. Perhaps Barry Windham as well.