TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008

I dunno, if you want to go by common opponents.

Rashad beat Tito, but only due to a lost point

Forrest lost to Tito, but a ton of people said he won that fight.

I like Rashad's chances, but I think I'm picking Forrest

MMAth doesn't work, but Rashad never beat Tito it was a draw.

And who knows how the fight would've fared had Tito never grabbed the cage, it's a moot point really.

Forrest Griffin beat Jeff Monson who beat Ricco Rodrigugez who beat Randy Couture who beat Chuck Liddell

FACT

Skinny Ricco beat Couture. Monson beat Fat Ricco. Skinny Ricco c-walked all over Monson and his communist ideals.

DEBUNKED.

Rashad Evans sucks.

OPINION.

Oh yeah, he really sucks... Thats why he's fighting for the title? You're a retard sometimes.

Frank Mir is also fighting for a title. When was the last time he won an important fight prior to the Lesnar match?

Rashad Evans sucks.

OPINION.

Oh yeah, he really sucks... Thats why he's fighting for the title? You're a retard sometimes.

Frank Mir is also fighting for a title. When was the last time he won an important fight prior to the Lesnar match?

Oh I'm sorry to ever doubt your MMA knowledge.

Rashad sucks so much despite going undefeated in MMA defeating the likes of Mike Whitehead, Keith Jardine, Stephan Bonnar, Jason Lambert, Michael Bisping, and Chuck Liddell.

He's horrible, and can't fight at all.

Griffin def. Evans via submission, Rd.3 (I hope Forrest gets obliterated, but I think he avoids walking into a massive shot from Rashad en route to grinding him down on the feet and avoiding damage from his back. Rashad's submission defense still relies more on surviving attempts, which I think will backfire as he finds himself unable to work through Forrest's guard)

Noguiera def. Frank Mir via submission, Rd. 2 (I think Mir will actually be able to hang with Minotauro for a while as Nog tries to prove a point via straight grappling. However, due to Mir's cardio and/or Nog opening up with some strikes, Frank quickly wears down in the second and leaves himself open for a takedown, pass, and arm triangle)

Dollaway def. Massenzio via Unanimous JD (While I appreciate Dollaway's instinctive desire to end fights, it has proven to leave him with a gas-tank bordering on empty in the latter stages of a fight when he can't end it early. I think Massenzio is tough and conservative enough to survive early enough to avoid the danger of getting put away, but Dollaway's wrestling will allow him to control the late fight game enough to protect his lead)

Silva def. Jackson via KO, Rd. 2 (Really, why buck the trend? Regardless of what improvements either guy has made since the last time they met, I just can't imagine Quinton being a good place mentally going into this fight, especially against a guy who has twice smoked him in epic fashion. Besides all of that, it's still simply a bad style match-up in my mind)

Kongo def. al-Turk via TKO, Rd.1 (Despite being a relative good grapplers, like every other Hw who's made their bones on the British scene,al-Turk fancies himself a brawler, which plays right into Kongo's one and only strength)

Okami def. Lister via TKO, Rd.2 (While there's no way Okami loses this fight IMO, the surprise to everyone will be how decisively he ends it. Okami can actually strike with power when he so chooses, and I think that there's no way he missed Marquardt and Sasaki putting it on Lister standing. I think he busts Dean up on the feet, before using his ever present "TOO STRONG!"-strength to power into a mounted G&P barrage)

Hardonk def. Burch via TKO, Rd.1 (The main question to me was how long it takes for Hardonk to take Bunch apart; in the end, I don't give him the same credit as Magomedov or an out of shape Sanchez. DISS!)

Hamill def. Reese Andy via TKO, Rd.1 (I see this going to similar to Hamill's previous outings with other strong wrestlers: unable to take him down, Andy quickly finds himself demoralized and unable to deal with Hamill's awkwardly effective punching)

Blackburn def. Chonan via Maj. Dec. (While Blackburn has the power to turn Chonan's lights out, I think he's too wild and awkward to effectively clock the more disciplined striker, who will counter-attack at range, keeping the fight competitive until the final bell)

Barry def. Evensen via KO, Rd.1 (When in doubt, bet against the guy known to suck)

I don't know how the hell Forrest vs Rashad is going to end. I almost think it'll go to a decision. I don't see Rashad giving Forrest a flash knockout, also don't see him going barbarian on him like Jardine did.

This is a fight I hate calling.

I'm picking Forrest but Rashad has more KO's/TKO's on his record then Jardine and if a waffling left hook can put Forrest on queer street I see no reason anything Rashad throws at him couldn't.

I don't think Rashad will KO Forrest standing because that's not the gameplan they will use to beat Forrest. Against Chuck, the idea was clearly to throw counters and to be quicker on the draw. Forrest has established by now that he isn't the brawler he was before and is more of a stick, move, circle fighter who isn't necessarily looking for the KO. Griffin has stated in interviews and showed in the Rampage fight that he likes to use leg kicks and I see Jacksons gameplan being shooting off either the kick or just going for takedowns in general since Forrest has, self-admittedly, shit wrestling. Whether Rashad is able to control Forrest on the ground or not is another thing. The gameplan could just end up being stand, takedown, stand, takedown and rack up points for 5 rounds. Dealing with Forrests' size is an issue, especially considering how small Evans is.

It's hard for me to call this fight because I don't really see how Forrest wins it. Maybe catching Evans late in the fight when he is gassed, but it's hard to say that when Evans hasn't been tapped in that way. Meanwhile, we know Forrest can get taken down, grinded out, and knocked out standing, and we know Rashad is capable of doing all that.

I would love to see Nog get a knock out. He deserves it after all these years shadowboxing to and in the ring.

Wandy throwing knees with the cage there could be a dangerous thing. Would rather see Silva move up than Rampage, to be honest.

I am actually really looking forward to Okami vs. Lister. It would be pretty sweet to see Okami beat a dude down.

Okami certainly has all the tools to pick apart Lister on the feet and getting the fight to stop later in the first or early second round... but I just have a feeling with the way things go for Okami that Lister could grind things out and win in a split decision.

No way Lister grinds out Okami. Dean's never been known as having the strongest cardio nor being someone who handles adversity well. Okami, on the other hand, is a guy who manages to absolutely mind-rape opponents with his physicality and is arguably at his best late in a fight.

Lister's best bet is to take advantage of Yushin's early passivity and catch him in a submission.

A solid card is a solid card. The title is held up with BJ's match with GSP, and the #1 contender is already set, so it's not like I need LW matches right now. As long as the show is good I'll watch it, and it looks good

Not arguing that this isn't a great show, just would've liked to see some LW's get a showcase fight on it for some exposure. The inherent danger of putting LW's on less stacked cards is that you run the risk of less people seeing them.

Florian vs Stevenson was at 91

Maynard vs Clementi was at 90

Sherk vs Griffin was at 90

All featured fights, not to mention Gurgel's fight making the 91 telecast. What main card worth LW could have they made, taking into consideration who's just fought and who's soon to fight.

I'm a big fan of the division, just playing devil's advocate.

It makes sense to leave the lightweights off and save them for a card that's not as stacked as this.

UFC 94 has Diaz/Guida which will have huge title implications... Not to mention Sanchez/Stevenson will likely headline UFC 95.

Couture vs. Lesnar, which was expected to do over a million buys, was filled with LW fights (which also were aired). They do this a lot, having a card stacked with one division, because it allows your immediate thoughts to be (wow, these two guys who won would be awesome against each other... and... wow, this division is filled with talent). My issue comes with the shitty heavyweight fights they stick on main cards.

I usually watch the PPV's at home but Saturday I believe I will head to a local drinking establishment or Hooters and watch the UFC. For those that are experienced in this sort of thing, is there any advice you could give me on when to show up, whether or not I should get reservations, etc.?

Thanks