TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/4 - 11/8

1st they call it a fumble ( he was clearly down)

2nd they call no TD (the ball clearly broke the plane)

3rd they said it was recovered in the endzone (the ball broke the plane on the recovery so it should be on the 1)

Welcome to officiating in the SEC!

Our refs can't make the correct call but they can tackle better than half the players.

Also, I'm hoping more and more that Texas Tech goes undefeated because Missouri vs Texas Tech would be one hell of a fun game. The final score might end up equaling 100 points. Hell, Kansas could put up a ton of points as well. Either game would be a shootout.

Damnn wish I had ESPNU right now. West Virginia erased a 20-7 deficit against Cincinnati with less than 1:30 to go to send the game into overtime (intentional safety by the Bearcats, touchdown with 23 seconds left, recovered onside, kicked 52 yard field goal).

Damnn wish I had ESPNU right now. West Virginia erased a 20-7 deficit against Cincinnati with less than 1:30 to go to send the game into overtime.

I wish I didn't. That was horrible. The sight of the WVU fans storming back into the stadium is hilarious.

Edit: It's over. UC recovers from that collapse with a easy OT victory.

I caught quite a bit of that WVU/Cincy game and it was truly insane. Why on earth would Cincy ever do a voluntary safety when up 20-7, considering that puts WVU down a TD (with 2 pt. conversion) and a FG? Just punt the ball away and then they have to score 2 TDs in about 1:30 and that won't happen. Regardless, Cincy was the better team so at least they managed to win in OT.

Well, Penn St. went down today. Now we just need either Bama or TX Tech to go down and Utah to beat BYU and then there will be a fascinating scenario in the BCS. I've often said there's no way the BCS can screw an undefeated major conf. team in favor of a 1 loss team, but how about an undefeated team from a conf. like the Mt. West that is actually better than at least the Pac 10?

Guest Smues
Washington State vs. Division I-A Scoreboard Update

Division I-A 493

Washington State 91

Good showing by the Cougs as they only lose by 31 points. With the win, Arizona becomes bowl eligible for the first time in ten years.

Awesome. I'd be enjoying this more if UW wasn't having a god awful season as well. But without the I-AA win. I am going to be glued to my TV for the Apple Cup.

It looks like we're rolling to an SEC vs. Big XII national title game. It's going to be Florida/Alabama vs. Texas/Texas Tech/OU.

About the only way I see that not happening is if Florida or 'Bama stumble or the Big XII south champ gets beat by Mizzou.

Whoever wins the Florida/Bama SEC title game will go and a 1-loss Big XII south team (or undefeated Tech) will definitely go. For USC, Utah, Penn State, Boise State, etc. to get in they need one of those two conferences to fall flat on their face.

Yeah, the eventual SEC champ picking up another loss is probably the only chance USC has at this point. I don't see any way that Texas Tech, OU, and Texas all pick up losses at this point.

Here's my Top 25 BTW. Finally moved the Gators ahead of USC with the Trojans letting Cal stay alive into the 4th quarter at home and the Gators destroying yet another decent team. It's not as bad as Texas's secondary, but I think USC's offense is definitely a weakness.

1. Texas Tech 10-0 (2)

2. Alabama 10-0 (3)

3. Florida 8-1 (5)

4. USC 8-1 (4)

5. Texas 9-1 (6)

6. Oklahoma 9-1 (7)

7. Penn State 9-1 (1)

8. Boise State 9-0 (10)

9. Ohio State 8-2 (11)

10. Utah 10-0 (12)

11. Oklahoma State 8-2 (8)

12. Missouri 8-2 (13)

13. TCU 9-2 (9)

14. Georgia 8-2 (15)

15. North Carolina 7-2 (17)

16. Ball State 9-0 (18)

17. California 6-3 (14)

18. Michigan State 9-2 (19)

19. Arizona 6-3 (20)

20. Florida State 7-2 (21)

21. Oregon State 6-3 (25)

22. LSU 6-3 (23)

23. BYU 9-1 (22)

24. Iowa 6-4 (NR)

25. Pittsburgh 7-2 (NR)

I'd love for Texas Tech to meet overrated Florida and expose the Gators. It'd make all the Gator fans I know cry. :)

Overrated? ..........Really?

Yeah, usually teams that lose to Ole Miss at home aren't THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY OMG.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Ole Miss game was a huge fluke. Here are Florida's results since then:

@ Arkansas W 38-7

LSU W 51-21

Kentucky W 63-5

Georgia W 49-10

@ Vanderbilt W 42-14

In 5 SEC games including two against Top 20 teams, the closest game was a 28 point win. That's insane.

Well OU has a big showdown in two weeks with Tech in Norman. If the game was in Lubbock I'd say that Tech is going undefeated and straight to the national title game. But, the fact that OU seems unbeatable in Norman gives them a shot to win it and have a chance to force that 3-way tie going into the Bedlam and probably win the south. (OU beating Tech would give them enough of a vault to give them the south crown if they win out)

I think it's kind of cool that the Big XII vs. SEC debate has raged all year and a member of each conference will more than likely meet for the national title.

How does the Pac 10 title work? Is that based on head to head on a tie or does it go off overall record? Because OSU and USC both have one loss in conference and if the tiebreaker is head to head then OSU has it. But, if you're going by overall record or BCS ranking then it'd be USC.

The key difference here is that Florida has the chance to play teams like UGA and Bama, whereas USC has been fattening up on the Washington scrubs of the Pac 10.

It sounds like I'm pimping Utah to be in the title game if they beat BYU, but obviously they won't be. I'm just saying that if they end up being the last unbeaten team of any real significance (and sorry, Boise State isn't a title threat with a SOS of 81 in the WAC, ditto Ball State in the MAC) then maybe they should be considered at least.

Gotta love the BCS, the only system where teams can go undefeated and not get a chance to win a national title.

It's head-to-head, but Oregon State's got a pretty brutal finishing kick. If I were to guess lines for the rest of their games, I'd say something like:

vs. California -3.5

at Arizona +2.5

vs. Oregon -5.5

The odds they make it through the whole thing without another loss are probably only around 15%.

FWIW, these would be the matchups under my proposed playoff system if the season ended today assuming that Utah passes Penn State in the BCS and TTU doesn't pass Bama:

Boise State at 1) Alabama

Texas at 4) Utah

Penn State at 2) Texas Tech

Florida at 3) USC

Seems pretty fair to me. And considering that Oklahoma would still be able to win their way in, it makes sure that everyone who deserves a shot gets one.

Also, just FTR, here's a list of contending teams who have a worse SOS than USC this year:

Texas Tech

Alabama

Oklahoma

Penn State

Oklahoma State

Everyone always hammers the Washington/Washington State thing, but they ignore that it evens out for the fact that USC's non-conference schedule is: Virginia, Ohio State, Notre Dame. Cal and Arizona are both really solid Pac-Ten teams that USC has beaten and the Ohio State win shouldn't be swept under the rug either. That's just as good of a top win as beating TCU (Oklahoma's best win) or beating Georgia (the best win for the SEC contenders).

Yeah, but it looks like the BCS and voters have pretty much pushed them aside in favor of the Big XII and SEC teams. They need one of those teams to screw up to get in at this point. Which is weird considering the media lovefest for them over the past 5 years.

Coaches' Poll

1. Alabama (44) 10-0 1,508

2. Texas Tech (17) 10-0 1,469

3. Florida 8-1 1,348

4. Oklahoma 9-1 1,314

5. Texas 9-1 1,300

6. Southern California 8-1 1,268

7. Utah 10-0 1,104

8. Penn State 9-1 1,074

9. Boise State 9-0 1,028

10. Ohio State 8-2 936

11. Missouri 8-2 883

12. Georgia 8-2 842

13. Oklahoma State 8-2 808

14. Brigham Young 9-1 679

15. Michigan State 9-2 660

16. Ball State 9-0 590

17. North Carolina 7-2 543

18. TCU 9-2 475

19. Florida State 7-2 426

20. LSU 6-3 409

21. Pittsburgh 7-2 311

22. Cincinnati 7-2 183

23. South Carolina 7-3 155

24. Tulsa 8-1 144

25. Oregon State 6-3 71

AP Poll

1. Alabama (44) 10-0 1,604

2. Texas Tech (21) 10-0 1,574

3. Florida 8-1 1,467

4. Texas 9-1 1,437

5. Oklahoma 9-1 1,375

6. USC 8-1 1,311

7. Penn State 9-1 1,161

8. Utah 10-0 1,157

9. Boise State 9-0 1,110

10. Ohio State 8-2 1,009

11. Oklahoma State 8-2 963

12. Missouri 8-2 913

13. Georgia 8-2 880

14. Ball State 9-0 677

15. TCU 9-2 623

16. Brigham Young 9-1 602

17. North Carolina 7-2 597

18. Michigan State 9-2 584

19. LSU 6-3 552

20. Florida State 7-2 380

21. Pittsburgh 7-2 318

22. Cincinnati 7-2 269

23. Oregon State 6-3 124

24. South Carolina 7-3 117

25. Tulsa 8-1 84

Damnn wish I had ESPNU right now. West Virginia erased a 20-7 deficit against Cincinnati with less than 1:30 to go to send the game into overtime.

I wish I didn't. That was horrible. The sight of the WVU fans storming back into the stadium is hilarious.

Edit: It's over. UC recovers from that collapse with a easy OT victory.

I'm confused. Are you a Miami fan who also roots for Cincy, or did I totally misinterpret your post?

I think it's pretty safe to say that Ole Miss game was a huge fluke. Here are Florida's results since then:

@ Arkansas W 38-7

LSU W 51-21

Kentucky W 63-5

Georgia W 49-10

@ Vanderbilt W 42-14

In 5 SEC games including two against Top 20 teams, the closest game was a 28 point win. That's insane.

So they're the 2nd hottest team in the country. I still don't think they are the beat team nor deserving of a national title shot over an undefeated team.