TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw - November 3, 2008

I really don't think this hurts the credibility of the WHC, since Batista's latest title run was the shortest in the belt's history at 8 days. All other title reigns have had a minimum of 28 days in length, which shows that this title does not have a history of being hot shotted around. A short title reign every now and then just makes the champs look human, and is only good for the belt......just don't go to hell with it, thats all.

I don't believe it hurts either and I think in general the idea short reigns/title changes hurt the belt is over blown. It gives a sense of anything can happen at any time. If people didn't think there was a chance of a title change, title matches wouldn't be nearly as good. So i think if done right, which is the key, it's good.

I hope they use this as a way to turn batista heel. He's been stale for a while and I really enjoyed him much more back in the day he was a monster heel in evolution.

1) My dad was watching with me tonight and talking about how corny wrestling is. Then the ring filled up with a bunch of wrestlers dancing around for no apparent reason at all. I have never laughed so hard before. I loved it.

2) Jericho champ! Wooo!

What an awesome RAW.

At my house my 14 year old son tells me how corny wrestling is when I'm watching it.

At my house my 14 year old son tells me how corny wrestling is when I'm watching it.

Slap him in his left ear as hard as you can and ask "Do you think that's corny?"

Did any match on the show actually last more than 5 minutes? I know Batista/Jericho did and it was a saving grace, but it seemed like the comedy dancing segment got more time than any of the matches.

Other than Jericho winning the belt, I can't think of one positive from the show.

Of course we don't, but that was the hinted direction, perhaps based on 2007's feud that was going to happen but didn't between Kennedy/Vince and Steph/HHH.

I know, and it makes me much less interested in the product going forward, especially as someone who's just coming back to watching WWE after a long absence.

WCW was losing the ratings war and they used lots of title changes to keep viewers watching but it backfired. The same could happen here.

WCW was putting the title on non-wrestlers and other non-believable choices. There's nothing wrong with a couple of title changes over the course of a good title feud.

The dancing segment was probably the most embarrassed I've felt as a wrestling fan for a while. My girlfriend of nearly 3 years has watched nearly every RAW with me during that time, and even I was looking at her like "what the hell is on my TV right now?". It really had no purpose, other than just to kill time I guess.

Still would have liked to have seen Paul London make a return to take Even Bourne's place as Rey's partner, but he's been gone for so long, half the fans probably wouldn't recognize/remember him. You'd have a built-in feud between Bourne and London upon Bourne's return, and the two of them could probably do God's work in the ring. C'mon WWE, either use the guy or let him go!

I don't mind Big Dave as champion, but I'm not so sure the timing was right to put the belt back on Jericho so fast. The ending made Batista look like a choke artist, and there were a couple times where he could have easily walked out of the cage (thus making him look like a dumb shit).

Now we all get to look forward to John Cena winning the World Belt (though SS is in his hometown, and WWE has a knack for having the "Hometown Hero" lose) and WWE can have yet another hideous blinged-out title.

I think Jericho will get the win. I don't understand why they wouldn't keep the belt on Batista if the plan was just to job the champ to Cena right away. It would make both Batista and Jericho look better that way. (Jericho not losing the title every time he defends it, and Batista getting a longer run)

I don't mind Big Dave as champion, but I'm not so sure the timing was right to put the belt back on Jericho so fast. The ending made Batista look like a choke artist, and there were a couple times where he could have easily walked out of the cage (thus making him look like a dumb shit).

Hell you could say that about any face in any of the WWE cage matches in the last 25 years or so. How often does the face, instead of easily walking out of the cage to win the match, decides to stay in the cage and keep beating on the guy or more often climbs out the cage?

Maybe Jericho being so confident that he would win will lead to someone planting that ring or hook or whatever it was on top of the cage? Though one will have to suspend disbelief a little to imagine that Jericho just knew he and Batista would be tied up on that particular corner of the cage? Maybe Mike Adamle trying to make up to Jericho for "screwing" him at the PPV?

I've never understood why people who know pro wrestling is a work would worry about the credibility of a belt anymore. It has no real value in this day and age unless you are a young kid who knows no better (and that isn't meant as an insult). Belts used to mean something when there were other feds like WCW, but that was only because the belt was like a flag that could be stolen and crapped on if a champ jumped ship.

I knew my boys Miz and Morrison were gonna get shafted, but if WWE insist on putting over DX no matter who they're against, at least make the other team look good in the match. I hate DX!

As for the Jericho swerve, it was a pleasant surprise.

I knew my boys Miz and Morrison were gonna get shafted, but if WWE insist on putting over DX no matter who they're against, at least make the other team look good in the match. I hate DX!

As for the Jericho swerve, it was a pleasant surprise.

DX made Miz and Morrison look fine.

Belts used to mean something when there were other feds like WCW, but that was only because the belt was like a flag that could be stolen and crapped on if a champ jumped ship.

Huh?

Anyways, belts changing hands between two wrestlers a couple of time is fine. Ric Flair did it a ton of times, and nobody here probably would bitch about that because wrestling was in a "golden era" before the "boom era". I like the title changing hands a couple of times during the course of a feud between two credible wrestlers. As much as Batista sucks, he is still credible to the casual WWE viewer to hold the title, and Jericho is probably getting there if he isn't already.

When I said that the belt was like a flag, I meant it as being a representation of that company, so it made it mean more because both rival feds had a world championship.

Just because WWE doesn't have mainstream competition doesn't mean the belt doesn't mean anything. The credibility of the belt is determined by the contenders fighting for it. Or, it should be viewed as that and not how many times it changes hands (unless it's to someone like David Arquette or Cody Rhodes).

The belt means something, but not enough to carry it's own life anymore. It doesn't really put a wrestler up to another level anymore because of how many titles are out there now and the fact that there's not much suspension of belief by viewers anymore and they know it's fake. CM Punk is a good example, the belt made people pay some attention to him, but it didn't automatically make him a top guy, it took a long time for the crowd to catch on, and they never fully did. That's why it was so easy for them to put him back out of the main event scene and into the tag division.

It used to be a time where a guy got the belt and it instantly told the crowd, "this is who you will love the most," or "this is who you'll hate the most." That dynamic isn't there anymore. People don't fall for that and it takes away from the belt. It truly is just a prop that only means something to the guy being given the title from a career standpoint, and the hardcore fans who are happy a underutilized worker finally got the chance to run with the ball.

If it's true they are building to yet another Stephanie/Jericho "alliance", it'd be weird to see the WWE try to push the Stephanie/Jericho potential adultery storyline not once, but twice. Maybe Stephanie has something real going on for Jericho.

Well, it would make sense for the Jericho character to have at least one ally, now that he's champion again.

Like I alluded to, I think they're more going to re-try the original intent of that 2002 storyline, which is that Stephanie is cheating on HHH with the champion Jericho.