TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zetterberg is God

The Hockey Thread

Expect a very sombre post in about 22 hours from one of the two "Canadian...." posters.

Not me...I just can't seem to get into this season for whatever reason, and not just because my team sucks. Whether it's my rekindled love for basketball or what, I have very little interest in the league this year.

Expect a very sombre post in about 22 hours from one of the two "Canadian...." posters.

Not me...I just can't seem to get into this season for whatever reason, and not just because my team sucks. Whether it's my rekindled love for basketball or what, I have very little interest in the league this year.

I actually see where you're coming from to a degree - even with the hot October by the Habs, this is by far the most I've ever been into football, and it's definitely taken the top spot for now.

Guest Czecherbear

I'm not as excited about the Blackhawks as I hoped I would be. I'm still watching or listening to most of the games, but expectations were so high this summer that even if they were playing well, it wouldn't be enough. They're not playing well. They're actually pretty bad; we were deceived. I think, I hope, I'll be more into the swing of things by mid-December, building up to the Winter Classic and all that, but right now I'm feeling a little chilly about this team.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm disinterested or anything - I've still essentially watched a game a night, or certainly Sportscentre or The Score Tonight. It's that hockey has definitely put on the backburner for the NFL for now.

Two-four depending on which week. My dad and I discussed this last week, actually - what the NFL has that the NHL doesn't is what sets it apart. Each Sunday, regardless of how many games are on Thursday, Saturday, and/or Monday, is an event. I can (and will) watch three hockey games this Saturday, but there's not the variety of analyzing that goes into each of those three games that can go into the 14 NFL games this Sunday. I love being able to watch NFL Countdown and have my picks change three or four times, then flip between seven or eight games during the afternoon. And gambling probably has a lot more to do with it than I'm saying here.

Don't get me wrong, hockey is still hands-down my favourite sport, but the NFL is getting the better of my attention right now.

TSN is reporting that because of the U.S. economy, the players' escrow will be taken away at the end of the year, and the cap will drop to $48mil, down from the current $56.

Can someone explain that a little more? I assume the escrow is a kitty the players pay into, but to what end? How does it work? Is it possible we'll see teams having to restructure contracts that are already on the books to meet the cap?

TSN is reporting that because of the U.S. economy, the players' escrow will be taken away at the end of the year, and the cap will drop to $48mil, down from the current $56.

Can someone explain that a little more? I assume the escrow is a kitty the players pay into, but to what end? How does it work? Is it possible we'll see teams having to restructure contracts that are already on the books to meet the cap?

I believe the players pay a percentage of their contract into the escrow, 10% of something similar. If the league makes a certain amount of money, the players get it back. If the league doesn't, then the players don't get it back.

Not sure how a cap drop would affect contracts. It's good when teams negotiate high start / low end contracts for situations like this.

How did the Canucks win tonight? I mean, seriously.

I don't get how the Canucks are doing well at all. By all rights, they should be a worse team than last year but they're looking so much better.

I don't get how the Canucks are doing well at all. By all rights, they should be a worse team than last year but they're looking so much better.

luongo-300.jpg

[/argument]

luongo-300.jpg

[/argument]

[/Vezina]

[/Hart]

So far my arguement of him winning the Vezina doesn't seem far fetched.

Yeah, but wanting Montreal players to start just because the game is in Montreal and none of the other players would care as much is still a stupid argument to make.

EDIT: I realize this has nothing to do with his initial post I quoted, but I just read this thread for the first time in a few days and saw he was the last one to post so I just used that post instead of the one I should have quoted. Oops on me.

So far my arguement of him winning the Vezina doesn't seem far fetched.

I don't think "Luongo for Vezina" has ever been far-fetched.

Not to rational people.

Bruins roll the Panthers. 11-1-1 last 13. Hope to ruin Wah's night tomorrow.