TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

NFL WEEK 10

Guest Vitamin X

How about every team in the league that's not outright bad or outright good? Parity, people.

As much as I hate to say this, I feel as though the Patriots look like the #2 team in the AFC. They only have three losses, leading to a showdown next week with the Jets who I think they'll probably beat.

I'd love to agree with you, but I'm still not completely sold on the offense and the secondary. Cassell has improved by leaps and bounds and BenJarvus Green-Ellis (and Associates At Law) has been a very pleasant surprise -- I actually wouldn't be adverse to letting Maroney go next season if he keeps it up -- but I want to see how they fare over this next stretch (vs. Jets, @ Miami, vs. Pittsburgh) before I call them the #2 team. That fourth quarter drive today was a work of art and something they have been doing all year (they have 22 drives of 10 or more plays this year). It definitely reminds me of the '01-'04 teams who would grind out drives on offense and play bend but don't break defense.

Is it just Matt Ryan? How did Atlanta go from being lucky to win 3-4 games, to this.

Its a coaching staff that isn't full of morons. Using Jerious Norwood, Michael Turner being a beast, getting a real offensive line, Roddy White having another monster year a kinda solid defense...its all working right now.

They are keeping it nice and simple for Ryan and he is making the plays. He is making some rookie mistakes, but I like what they are doing for him.

Herm Edwards should be fired for that playcall alone. Just take the fucking tie and go to OT you idiot.

Nice one, Herm.

He got suckered into the Shanahan strategy. Why do NFL coaches do retarded things simply because he did it first?

Someone should have reminded Herm that Shanahan went for it because he had an offence that works.

They're 1-7 coming into that game. If the Chiefs are my team, I'd rather they take some chances like that to win some games, than pussy out & most likely lose in OT. It's not like that call is going to cost them a playoff spot. They had the momentum, so take a shot to win the game. I applaud Herm (but he's still a shitty coach).

In case anyone was wondering, things like this are what piss us fans off the most. It is OBVIOUS he was down by contact, and it wasn't a fumble. Andy Reid ALWAYS wastes challenges on fucking plays like this. Coughlin played it good and challenged that illegal forward pass penalty, and that could have been called either way, and he got the call. This isn't a borderline call. Who the FUCK tells him to challenge it? This has been happening all season and the last few seasons. He is horrible at challenging and we're going to lose this godawful game because our defense can't stop shit and our offense can't maintain anything.

The key to beating the Giants next week for the Ravens is doing what they do best which is stopping the run. No way in hell the Giants get 200 yards rushing next week.

Im definitely rooting for the Eagles here too, and they might pull it out afterall.

The Giants are going to lose this game with the absurdly conservative playcalling on both sides. Ridiculous.

Time to see how I did with the predictions:

DEN @ CLE: You know, if Derek Anderson was still starting I'd feel decent about the Browns here. But with Quinn I don't know. I'll take the Broncos reluctantly by 7. (It was a struggle but the Broncos managed to win on the road. 1 for 1)

Sunday, 1:00

NO @ ATL: Falcons are a real feel good story this year and I think they keep it going at home against the Saints. ATL by 4. (Wasn't even as close as that. 2 for 2)

TEN @ CHI: Rex Grossman vs. the Tennessee D? If it had been Orton I might have picked upset here, but can't see it now. Titans by 10. (Grossman was mediocre for 3, decent in the 4th, came up short anyway. 3 for 3)

JAC @ DET: The Jags very well might be done after the unmitigated disaster that was losing to the Bengals. What the hell, I think the Lions get their first win over JAX as well. Detroit by 1. (More of an ironic joke pick than anything. Ah well. 3 for 4)

BAL @ HOU: This is the rescheduled Hurricane game. Both teams have gotten better so this will be a better game than it would have been in week 2. I'll take the Ravens by 6 but it could go either way. (Wow, a bigger beatdown than I thought it would be. 4 for 5)

SEA @ MIA: Seattle sucks to begin with and they also now have to travel cross country. Miami is much improved, so this will be a beating. Dolphins by 17. (Wasn't a beating at all, in fact the Dolphins were fortunate to win. 5 for 6)

GB @ MIN: Packers just have all sorts of tough luck losses and playing on the road in MINN won't help much. I'll take the Vikings by 5. (Tough losses for GB? Why yes. 6 for 7)

BUF @ NE: The Bills desperately need a win. That said, I can't see them getting it at Foxboro. Pats by 3. (Ended up being a bit easier than that. 7 for 8)

STL @ NYJ: The Rams are back down to earth after rallying for a couple of weeks. Can't see Favre losing at home here. Jets by 10. (This was a flat out beatdown of the highest order. Wow. 8 for 9)

Afternoon games

CAR @ OAK: Okay after last week's fiasco and Al Davis threatening to release everyone I can't possibly imagine this game being close. Panthers by 14. (Ugly, ugly game. Went basically as expected in the end though. 9 for 10)

IND @ PIT: Is Leftwich starting in this one? If so I think the Colts have a real shot to somehow sneak into Pittsburgh and steal a win. Indy by 3. (Ben did start here and it was much to the detriment of the Steelers....Colts stole it on the road. 10 for 11)

KC @ SD: Chargers are favored by an insane 15 in this one, but do they deserve it? Chiefs have actually been playing better of late, so the Chargers still win but it will be by 6. (Chiefs have become quite the hard luck team, they really have. 11 for 12)

NYG @ PHI: Biggest game of the week by far. Eagles can make a statement here and get back into the NFC East race, or the Giants can basically put it to bed. I'll take the Giants by 4, since I can't get it out of my head the way the beat down McNabb last year. (Giants held on to win it by 5, great win on the road. 12 for 13)

Man, quite an improvement over last week's mediocre predictions.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Time to look ahead at teams I love and teams I hate and musings about the developing playoff picture:

1. Bears: Currently 5-4, which is miles ahead of where I was predicting them to be this season. They still have Green Bay twice and a trip to Minnesota. Winning two of those doesn't seem too crazy, but only one would suffice. Out of conference, they go to St. Louis and Houston, and host Jacksonville and New Orleans. They'll beat the Rams, Houston could go either way, but I'm confident against Jacksonville. Brees is going to shred their asses.

I think worst case scenario here is 8-8. 8-8! Is 10-6 a huge stretch? Sweep the Packers, beat St. Louis, who will be thinking about the draft, Houston might be out of it by that point. There's nine wins. 1-3 against Minnesota, Jacksonville, and New Orleans? 2-3 there if they split with Green Bay? I think this can be done, but Orton needs to get healthy, fast.

2. Colts: Currently 5-4, which is way behind of where I was predicting them to be this season. Beating both New England and Pittsburgh was HUGE, considering both of those teams are going to end up in dogfights in their division. The East is wide open, and I'll talk about Baltimore later in this post. They (Indy) host Houston next week. Very winnable. After that is a perpetually tough road trip to San Diego. After that, they get a much needed break with a trip to Cleveland, then the Bengals and Lions both at home. Hooray. Should be 9-5, and depending on how San Diego bounces back in the second half this season, 10-4, which would put them comfortably in the driver's seat for the wildcard. Then it's a Thursday game @ Jacksonville and Tennessee at home, when they should have the division on ice and will be resting players.

Worst disaster case scenario: 10-6. I'm thinking 11-5 and a wildcard spot, with a date with whoever wins the East.

3. New England: Currently 6-3. Their schedule stiffens a bit, and they're injured to all hell. Just lost Adalius Thomas for the season. They host the Jets next week, who will be loaded for bear. Their other two divisional games are on the road. They host Pittsburgh, and have what I think could be a potential trap game in a road trip to Seattle. Oakland's a pushover, then they host Arizona, who can put up points, and then will go to Buffalo, who by this point I think will be out of the hunt, and bitterly eager to spoil someone's shit. 4-3 or 3-4 in that stretch sounds about right, depending if who they have left stays healthy. I think they miss the playoffs.

4. Green Bay: Currently 4-5. Rodgers is hurt. The line play is inconsistent, and Ryan Grant is lazily enjoying his paycheck. At best, they'll split with Chicago A trip to New Orleans could potentially be dangerous, and they still have to host Carolina and make a trip to Jacksonville. Their last game of the season is at home against the Lions, who, if they're 0-15 at that point, will throw bombs on every play just to avoid embarassment. They'll hover at or slightly below .500, I think. Out of the playoffs.

5. Minnesota: Currently 5-4. The rest of their season: @ Tampa, @ Jacksonville, vs Chicago, @ Detroit, @ Arizona, vs. Atlanta, and vs. the Giants. That's tough. The Giants should be looking at a bye, so call that a win. Atlanta's going to be very much fighting for that division, same as Tampa. Arizona will want to take care of business at home. Jacksonville is a tough out at home, and Chicago is going to have to win the division or miss the playoffs, period. Detroit's not going 0-16. I think 7-9. Out of the playoffs. This means I'm thinking the Bears will win the division, which seems nuts. Vikings are 1-3 on the road this year so far.

Teams I'm watching:

1. Miami: Currently 5-4. They've won 3 in a row, they're running the ball very well, and Pennington is managing the game well and staying healthy. Don't look now, but of their seven remaining games, they have St. Louis, Oakland, Kansas City, and San Francisco, all of which stink. Their game @ the Jets the last week of the season MAY be for the division! That's crazy.

2. San Diego: Currently 4-5. They have a murderous three game stretch @ Pittsburgh, then hosting the Colts and Falcons. Lose two of those, and they'll be in bad shape with a road test @ Tampa before they get Denver at the last week of the season, who might fall ass-backwards into the playoffs if San Diego can't keep up with their brutal schedule. Denver is virtually in the same boat with the remainder of their season.

3. Baltimore: At 6-3. I think they're the biggest surprise to me of all, this season. I thought they'd suck with bells on, and here they are competing for their division. Here's the thing, though. They have the entire NFC East to play. And Pittsburgh. And Jacksonville. That's ugly.

4. Pittsburgh is through the worst of the meatgrinder, and are at home against their toughest remaining games with San Diego and Dallas. They need to take care of business against the state of Ohio, beat New England, and that's 9-7 at worst. Hold court at home as best they can, and 10-6 will take the division.

The Saints are pretty much done, which makes the NFC South a threeway race between the Bucs, Falcons, and Panthers. Carolina has a one game lead in the division, but one of their two losses came in an embarrassing thrashing at the hands of Tampa a few weeks back. Tampa also holds a head-to-head victory over Atlanta. If we can take care of business at home against a deflated and injury-depleted Saints team, I'd feel pretty okay about splitting the other two remaining division games, both of which are on the road. I think the division title will ultimately go to either us or Carolina, and the other team will be one of the two wild cards.

Guest Vitamin X

Huge blow to the Packers' already much maligned defense: Nick Barnett Out For the Season.

I think this means, pretty much, this week's game against Chicago is a must-win. I still don't think Green Bay's that bad of a team- it's astounding how much the injuries have piled up this year and how the run defense has played so inconsistently (I think trading Corey Williams was definitely a bad move now) despite returning the same exact players from last year's 13-3 team that was one dumb Favre interception away from the Super Bowl. And it's not even Rodgers' fault, believe me. There have been a lot of times this year where I've questioned if Favre had been in the game would he have given us one more play that we would've pulled out our asses, or dropped it in the toilet again. I don't think we'd be much different, honestly. Favre's first three years as a Packer had him going 9-7 with a young squad that would eventually develop and mature together and win the Super Bowl. The passing game right now is doing pretty well, but we're losing the fight in the trenches and that's why we're 4-5.

The next six games feature three tough games (both Chicago games and Carolina) as well as three very winnable games (Houston, New Orleans, and Detroit). I can definitely see the hovering around .500 prediction, thinking they'll sweep those three winnable games, but split the series against Chicago and lose to Carolina, which would leave them at 7-9. Best case scenario is to make one of those big late runs we were so famous for under Sherman and win the division at 10-6, meaning they might be able to split the Chicago series at best and win every other game, but that's the only way I see them making the playoffs. They had way too many NFC losses to even think about making the wildcard- Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Dallas and Minnesota possibly (I'm not discounting the possibility of them making a strong run down the stretch either, given this past Sunday's performance) all are up on Green Bay by quite a bit right now.

And it's not even Rodgers' fault, believe me.

He has 16 TDs vs 5 interceptions and a QB rating of 93.3. Rodgers and the secondary are the reason the Packers are as good as they are. Right now the only players on the team playing better are Kampman and Woodson. Maybe Collins.

Apparently the Jets signed Ty Law through the rest of the season.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/10/jets-sign-cb-law/

Interesting. The team does need help with the pass defense but this isn't where I expected it to come from. He's slated to play on Thursday(!), so I guess we'll learn about his remaining abilities pretty quickly.