TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Barack Obama's Inauguration

To those baffled why that proposition isn't passing in California, I have a two word explanation:

Catholic Mexicans. You call a Mexican a faggot or a maricon or whatever, and them's fightin' woids. At least they are around here. I seen it.

According to exit polls, whites opposed the amendment 53-47. But blacks supported it 70-30, and Latinos supported it 51-49. The polls have blacks at 10 percent of the electorate for this issue, with Latinos at 19 percent and whites at 63 percent. (Asians, at six percent, opposed the proposition 53-47.)

from http://corner.nationalreview.com/

CORRECTION (imagine that, the National Review got something wrong)

Real exit poll results for Prop 8 here;

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1

Spoiler:

black people voting against was the kicker

one of the great things about a losing campaign is that the senior advisors all start SINGING about what went wrong behind the scenes, with all sorts of interesting little anecdotes about the campaign. Keep an eye out for those, disguised as "senior McCain advisors", anybody seen any of those articles yet?

Bush probably just wants to relax and enjoy retirement at this point. I do think he could make a killing on an autobiography as well.

The only semi-governmental role I could see making sense for him would be if he could talk Obama into appointing him as some sort of special envoy to Africa or something, since he is popular over there and actually did do some good for that continent in terms of providing aid.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
To those baffled why that proposition isn't passing in California, I have a two word explanation:

Catholic Mexicans. You call a Mexican a faggot or a maricon or whatever, and them's fightin' woids. At least they are around here. I seen it.

According to exit polls, whites opposed the amendment 53-47. But blacks supported it 70-30, and Latinos supported it 51-49. The polls have blacks at 10 percent of the electorate for this issue, with Latinos at 19 percent and whites at 63 percent. (Asians, at six percent, opposed the proposition 53-47.)

Spoiler:

I'm genuinely surprised.

And now, some choice quotes from Free Republic:

The Beginning of the end, 51% = R.I.P. U.S.A.

When the Democrats reach 51% of Americans exempt from paying income tax, they will be the dominant party without challenge. 51% will grow to 52%, 54% until the end, (bankruptcy) of the U.S.A. With the national debt equaling $480,000 per household before the bailouts, the Democrats controlling all three branches of government, How far off can this be?

For the 1st Time in My Life I am Ashamed of My Country

Freedom, Liberty, Personal Responsibility, and general Conservative principles suffered a crushing defeat tonight. The concept of limited government seems dead. In an election I will remember as the choice of the lesser of two evils, evil won. I am tired. I am tired of choosing between bad and worse. I am tired of supporting a party that has lost its way. I am tired of Republicans whose motto is “we aren’t quite as bad as the alternative.” I am tired of liberals of both parties expanding entitlements, taking away liberties, raising my taxes, bankrupting the country, and calling me selfish...

The Last President of A Free Democracy

The Last President of a Free Democracy It seems as though the whole world is rejoicing to the news that the “Anointed One” has won the election. In reality it is one of the darkest day's America has ever witnessed. A veil has been thrown over the head of the great Lady of Liberty as her enemies have finally found a way to bring her to her knees. All that remains of the this once ”Great Beacon” of democracy are those ”Bitter Clingers” who are forced to accept their defeat. Men and women from around the world will stand in...

Mr. BO, you will never be my president.

Mr. President-elect "BO", you will not get my help and you will never be my president.

That one must have come from Marney.

Obama cleaned up among the 18-29 year old demographic. Maybe the draft would help these morons grow up a little bit. It is not a popular view but my view is that when we stopped the draft, life became unreal for millions of over-aged adolescents. We would have done better to make it truly universal and be done with all the exemptions and buyouts and lotteries and such. If all these dweebs like to gather in crowds and march so much, let them march at oh dark thirty in the morning with a DI on their asses.

Jeb can't run for president- no one is going to vote for a Bush

While I would agree with you, I think this will depend on what Bush's image will be like in 4 years. Let's watch all this "legacy" talk in the next few weeks because now that the election is over I think Bush may get some more favorable coverage.

For 2012 I see a few top GOP contenders:

*Sarah Palin

*Mitt Romney

*Jeb Bush

*Bobby Jindal

*Mike Huckabee

Right now, I'd put money on a battle between Palin and Romney, but the size of the field and quality of the candidates will depend on how well Obama does in his first term.

Also, Obama needs to watch his back because one little screw up could prompt a Obama-Hillary II in the Democratic primaries in 2012.

Spoiler:

I'm genuinely surprised.

Regarding the spoiler: I'm not. When it comes to those issues, blacks do have a tendency to vote conservative especially in regards to family issues. Many blacks also tend to be against abortion as well.

I know I've been a harsh critic and am concerned for the way we're going as a country, but I do extend my congrats to Obama. He was very classy last night and so was McCain in his speech. And I think Obama seemed to send a message with the way he talked to the extreme leftist Democrats to not go overboard and start overreaching. If they start doing that, people are going to not stand for it.

I also found it amazing how closer things really seemed to be. Of the swing states that shifted from red to blue, only about one or two counties provided the shift, especially in Indiana, Florida, Ohio, and Virginia. So I would say in football terms, Obama wins 27-13, but the game was actually closer than the final score indicated.

I did get a chuckle out of when I voted. Iowa mentions in its state constitution that people that are "Idiot and insane" are not allowed to vote. They want to change the wording to say that people that are mentally incompetent can't vote. I had a Carlos Mencia moment there and if I could would have written in to switch it to people that are "DEE DEE DEE!" can't vote.

Another thought I had...if Obama was to reach across the aisle for a couple of Cabinet members. If he wanted to lay the smack down on Wall Street and these CEO's who ripped people off and then got golden parachutes, I'd go for Giuliani for Attorney General. He was a bad-ass as a lawyer in New York who had the Mafia scared to deal with him. Plus, definitely have Powell as Chairman of the JCS.

Spoiler:

I'm genuinely surprised.

Regarding the spoiler: I'm not. When it comes to those issues, blacks do have a tendency to vote conservative especially in regards to family issues. Many blacks also tend to be against abortion as well.

I know I've been a harsh critic and am concerned for the way we're going as a country, but I do extend my congrats to Obama. He was very classy last night and so was McCain in his speech. And I think Obama seemed to send a message with the way he talked to the extreme leftist Democrats to not go overboard and start overreaching. If they start doing that, people are going to not stand for it.

I also found it amazing how closer things really seemed to be. Of the swing states that shifted from red to blue, only about one or two counties provided the shift, especially in Indiana, Florida, Ohio, and Virginia. So I would say in football terms, Obama wins 27-13, but the game was actually closer than the final score indicated.

I did get a chuckle out of when I voted. Iowa mentions in its state constitution that people that are "Idiot and insane" are not allowed to vote. They want to change the wording to say that people that are mentally incompetent can't vote. I had a Carlos Mencia moment there and if I could would have written in to switch it to people that are "DEE DEE DEE!" can't vote.

Another thought I had...if Obama was to reach across the aisle for a couple of Cabinet members. If he wanted to lay the smack down on Wall Street and these CEO's who ripped people off and then got golden parachutes, I'd go for Giuliani for Attorney General. He was a bad-ass as a lawyer in New York who had the Mafia scared to deal with him. Plus, definitely have Powell as Chairman of the JCS.

Holy cow, you're from IA? I grew up an hour south of Des Moines, and graduated from UNI. Crazy.

I have nothing to add on the subject matter... just noticed the Iowa notes.

I just like that a man, whom is half black half white, and was raised by his white relatives, after his father walked out of his life is still considered "Black" no one ever refers to him as anything else.

The same goes for the Asian-American Tiger Woods (except, both his parents raised him)

and Halle Berry who was also only raised by her white relatives but still is considered "black"

How about we just call Barack the 44th president and not focus on his race, since he is also Caucasian anyway.

On the other side, what's Bush going to do come 1/20? He's unpopular, uncharismatic and a whole bevy of other negative adjectives, so it's highly unlikely he'll make the book/speech rounds like Clinton...

Does he just go off into some hole and hide for the next several years?

W may go directly to jail, will not pass go, will not collect $200

If Obama wins, then the pardon is out of the picture, unless Washington is more corrupt than anyone could fathom. However, if Obama is genuine, then Bush will go to prison. Who knows? In an ironic twist, maybe, just maybe, he may be the recipient of some of that old fashioned Texas justice that he likes so much. Yes, I mean execution. Normally, I am against that, but I will make an exception for him. Yes, he deserves it.

The point is, George has to pay, severely. His antics have not just plunged the United States into a debt so massive that the board in Union Square ran out of digits, but the whole world is now in a recession, despite whatever he says.

Granted there are some Bush supporters who will surely reply to this. They have their opinions. I have facts. I win.

The sad thing is, if that went to a regular jury I think Bush would end up on death row.

RE: Bush's golden years

My hope would be that he focuses on development in Africa--which, in my eyes, Bush probably had the best Africa policy of any president in modern history, specifically with PEPFAR and the Millennium Challenge Corporation.

I can't imagine Bush doing anything other than retiring to that ranch in Crawford and staying out of the public eye for as long as possible. He'll get a library somewhere down the road and probably write (or dictate, anyway) a memoir, but I seriously doubt that he'll be Carteresque in his post-presidential visibility.

Obama isn't going to do something as controversial as call for Bush's trial. I think Obama and the Democrats in Congress will want to move past Bush's legacy quickly.

RE: Bush's golden years

My hope would be that he focuses on development in Africa--which, in my eyes, Bush probably had the best Africa policy of any president in modern history, specifically with PEPFAR and the Millennium Challenge Corporation.

True, overall he was a terrible President, but that is one area where he did a great job.

I'd hope that he spends a lot of his time advocating for Africa and doesn't stay political in any way.

Speaking of Bush...4 years ago, the Bush team gloated about this, but as of now, it is Barack Obama who has recieved more votes than any one else in American history. With 52% of the vote, no one can argue he is not the people's choice.

Rahm Emanuel is rumored to be the new White House Chief of Staff.

Any ideas on who will be appointed to serve the rest of Obama's senate term?

Last word on Prop 8. in CA. It looks like the finally tally has it passing 52-48.

It's sad really. Going into the election it was supposedly going to lose by the same margin, but the Religious zealots put all their money into a highly deceptive ad campaign that made these dispicable commercials claiming if Prop. 8 was passed, then children as young as kindergarden age would be "indoctrinated w/teachings of gay marriage" It is absolute bullshit, but it looks like it scared enough people that were on the fence about the issue.

Honestly, I doubt this Prop will withstand an appeal to the California Supreme Court, just as Prop 61(I believe) was struck down as unconstitutional.

Everytime this issue comes up in CA, it gets THAT much closer to going in favor of gay marriage, so it is important to keep on fighting before the opponents go one step further and try to actually change the constitution.

And now, some choice quotes from Free Republic:

The Beginning of the end, 51% = R.I.P. U.S.A.

When the Democrats reach 51% of Americans exempt from paying income tax, they will be the dominant party without challenge. 51% will grow to 52%, 54% until the end, (bankruptcy) of the U.S.A. With the national debt equaling $480,000 per household before the bailouts, the Democrats controlling all three branches of government, How far off can this be?

For the 1st Time in My Life I am Ashamed of My Country

Freedom, Liberty, Personal Responsibility, and general Conservative principles suffered a crushing defeat tonight. The concept of limited government seems dead. In an election I will remember as the choice of the lesser of two evils, evil won. I am tired. I am tired of choosing between bad and worse. I am tired of supporting a party that has lost its way. I am tired of Republicans whose motto is “we aren’t quite as bad as the alternative.” I am tired of liberals of both parties expanding entitlements, taking away liberties, raising my taxes, bankrupting the country, and calling me selfish...

The Last President of A Free Democracy

The Last President of a Free Democracy It seems as though the whole world is rejoicing to the news that the “Anointed One” has won the election. In reality it is one of the darkest day's America has ever witnessed. A veil has been thrown over the head of the great Lady of Liberty as her enemies have finally found a way to bring her to her knees. All that remains of the this once ”Great Beacon” of democracy are those ”Bitter Clingers” who are forced to accept their defeat. Men and women from around the world will stand in...

Mr. BO, you will never be my president.

Mr. President-elect "BO", you will not get my help and you will never be my president.

That one must have come from Marney.

Obama cleaned up among the 18-29 year old demographic. Maybe the draft would help these morons grow up a little bit. It is not a popular view but my view is that when we stopped the draft, life became unreal for millions of over-aged adolescents. We would have done better to make it truly universal and be done with all the exemptions and buyouts and lotteries and such. If all these dweebs like to gather in crowds and march so much, let them march at oh dark thirty in the morning with a DI on their asses.

I went over to Michelle Malkin's site after McCain conceded to see what her freaks were saying, and somebody actually called it "the saddest day in the history of our country."

I'm very curious to see the polls to analyze the Palin effect. The pre-election polls were pretty damning. She made people abandon McCain.

I'm also curious if the Republicans will realize their nasty negative caustic sarcastic-type campaign really contributed to Obama's win. Will they adjust their tone or will they just try harder? Obama loves Al Qaeda? Obama is Lenin re-incarnated? Oogy boogy?

I don't think the Republicans think they ran a bad campaign. They just got "unlucky" because of the economy. My guess is they'll go with Obama's "novelty" having worn off in '12 and just continue the same type of slash and burn tactics. I can't imagine the Republicans trying to win on issues.

I'm very curious to see the polls to analyze the Palin effect. The pre-election polls were pretty damning. She made people abandon McCain.

I'm also curious if the Republicans will realize their nasty negative caustic sarcastic-type campaign really contributed to Obama's win. Will they adjust their tone or will they just try harder? Obama loves Al Qaeda? Obama is Lenin re-incarnated? Oogy boogy?

I don't think the Republicans think they ran a bad campaign. They just got "unlucky" because of the economy. My guess is they'll go with Obama's "novelty" having worn off in '12 and just continue the same type of slash and burn tactics. I can't imagine the Republicans trying to win on issues.

I'll bet 2012 is nothing but screams of 'GAY MARRIAGE!!!!' and 'ABORTION!!!' from the Republican party.

Well, they did run a shitty campaign, that's the difference.

You know that, and I know that, but do THEY know that?

It is kind of Ironic that they think the Dems got "lucky" because of the economy, considering McCain's campaign was going nowhere in the primary until the media kept repeating the "Surge is working" chrous line. If not for that McCain probably doesn't even win the nomination probably.