TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Toxxic

Cold Front Classic discussion thread

Let's give it a chance, see what happens. This could work really well, or it could be a disaster. Either way, we'll learn from it. Either way, I guarantee it'll be more successful than the Clusterfuck.

Oh, Clusterfuck... Is that still around!?

This sounds cool. And I like the low limit for the first round, as I've got the new WWE video game this month to destroy my Xbox with. Once that's burned out, I'll have more time to write a bigger match for Round 2, presuming that Bruner doesn't squash me beyond recognition.

Sorry WC. We didn't have word on whether you were in or not so booked you as Bruner would be awesome for this tournament, and if you REALLY didn't want to we could always give Alexander a bye or something. Glad you're going to give it a go.

Sorry WC. We didn't have word on whether you were in or not so booked you as Bruner would be awesome for this tournament, and if you REALLY didn't want to we could always give Alexander a bye or something. Glad you're going to give it a go.

Yes, you could give Alexander a bye. See, problem solved. :ph34r:

This is going to be interesting, I'm going to do most if not all of my writing in this weekend because in work hours, no time whatsoever. It's a long shot, but maybe, just maybe I can get that match with Va'aiga that we both wanted and this time it could be for the belt... Gotta pass this audit though so my time is very limited, thank god for the 4000 word limit.

You will be seeing my match.

SIN

The quarters and semis will be on night two, the actual final will be on the other december show. The finalists will have longer to put that match together, while everyone else does everyone-else-type-things.

My only objection is that, if I had the book, I'd do it the same way writing-wise, but portray it storyline-wise as if the whole tournament were happening on one night.

I'd like to have seen whether we could have pulled this off with some of the older writers: Can you imagine a "one night" tournament with the likes of Flesher, Ejiro, Judge, Danny, Mags, Toxxic, Maddix and Matthews? Throw in guys like WC, Johnny, Dace, Spike and IL to add some flavor, and maybe a couple of "legends" like Sacred, Strangler and TNT, who easily "could" have won, just to make it interesting?

Supposing, for the sake of argument, that you just wanted to have an eight-man tournament, though, I think that G-IV would have been the optimum time to do it: based on the card, we could have had an eight-man tournament featuring some of the top draws at the time(Strangler, Drazon, TNT, Danny, Edwin, Silent, Flesher, Judge), and still have had a kick-ass undercard (Dace/Craven/Bastion for the Commissionership, Sacred/Mak for the ICTV, Ejiro/Va'agia for the US, Crowe & Crane/Double Jeopardy for the Tag Titles, WC/Johnny for the Hardcore, AND ED/Duran to jerk the curtain. That would have been unbelievable.

EDIT - All things being equal, I think I'd swap out Strangler and Jay Dawg for Sacred and Mak, but that was a title match, so it affected my final placement.

The trouble with having the final on Night Two is that means the finalists have to write FOUR matches in very quick succession which would increase the likelihood of writer burnout, and push the card back further. We went for the more relaxed 'as and when' card approach to prevent people from being in a high-pressure 'write every week' situation. I don't want a situation where the semi-finalists would go "Jesus, even if I win this I've still got to write yet another match straight after, i can't handle that, I'm going to no-show". Maybe the eight-man would have been better so we could get it all done and dusted in one, but we really liked the idea of putting together enough talent to do a sixteen-man(person) tournament.

WC - I've have loved to take part in that tournament you suggest (although I'd have had my ass handed to me), but Ejiro and Judge were already retired by the time I came on the scene, and Matthews and Danny were long gone by the time I'd have been anywhere near main event status. I do regret never writing as Toxxic against Mags though, instead I let him write the Round Robin Tournament match where he jobbed.

We can... but the thing is, those with things still to promo about will likely be busy writing matches, and the rest probably won't have the motivation to promo about matches that are theoretically still in the future, but which in actuality they've already lost.

Personally, I think a few 'SWF.net' board promos might be a better way to go, people can promo as and when they feel like it instead of everyone coming together for an arbitrary date that won't necessarily have any relevance to what they're up to at that time. Sort of following on from Tod's promo, perhaps.

I just noticed there's a Ryan Styles on the roster. Is his finisher "World's Worst Step"?

That's better than my suggestion, "Film, Theatre And TV Styles Clash"

Seriously, I'm on record as saying if the name is a reference and not just a coincidence, I will job everybody out to him just on principle.

Suggestion for the two who make it to the finals: do Japanese intros. They're always cool and make the match seem important.

Sign in to follow this