TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Truthiness

TNA Turning Point 2008...

That was a really anti-climatic ending to an otherwise great match. A european uppercut through a table? Uggh damn, that was just a downing ending to it. He should have at least picked him up and hit the Angle slam.

Probably because Abyss feuding with his "best friend" and tag team partner would make no sense at all.

Yeah I realized I typed that wrong. Sorry about that, I haven't slept much. I meant to ask "How come Abyss, and not Matt Morgan, is feuding with Kurt Angle?" (I thought Abyss/Morgan were #1 contenders to the tag titles anyways.)

Joe just basically got the hell beat out of him for the final ten minutes and then loses with a low blow feet on the ropes? Who the FUCK books the finishes in this damn company?!?! They are so incredibly anti-climatic!

It felt like it was building to Joe doing something but instead...he loses to that? Damn TNA, learn to book endings!

You have Joe kick out of TWO jacknife powerbombs, ten shots to the forehead to a steel turnbuckle and then...he loses to a feet on the ropes low blow?!?! God dammit, what the hell?

Yeah, they won a future title shot, but the MCMG already had the shot tonight. As for why Angle is feuding with Abyss rather than Morgan, I have no idea.

Anyway, that's it for the show. A stream chat user has just informed all of us in the chat that the main event has been canceled since Sting and AJ Styles were caught having gay sex with each other in the locker room.

Abyss facing Angle instead of Morgan is simple. Abyss is a TNA original, Matt Morgan is not. It's not really that complicated of a reason.

Abyss facing Angle instead of Morgan is simple. Abyss is a TNA original, Matt Morgan is not. It's not really that complicated of a reason.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

I really might check this show out.. the last PPV pissed me off so bad I haven't watched TNA since. :/

I must say, the "kids" sure are pulling out some pretty good matches out of the MEM.

Yeah, I think "another night of really good matches with shitty finishes" sums up this PPV.

I can get that they will probably sell that AJ could have had the belt if he hadn't been cocky and went for the win. Just like with Joe vs Sting. That is probably going to remain Sting's main point and you know what? He'd be 100% RIGHT! And that's what is going to kill the MEM now. Because Sting will be right, Styles/Joe would have both won the matches against him if they just went for the win instead of showboating or doing something else stupid.

Ending it with a roll-up after the other matches ended with a roll-up is lazy finish booking. All the main events ended horribly and that CONTINUES to be a TNA flaw. The guys are delivering great to good matches but the endings are overprotective crap. Sting should have got up behind him, hit the death drop and pinned him. It still works the same way with Sting playing up the cocky attitude costing the originals.

As for who gets the next shot, I have no idea. There is literally no one on the guys who can challenge for the belt. Joe looks tough as nails but still a loser. Styles maybe but that ending didn't exactly lead to a rematch clause. Abyss lost to Angle. Right now the only original left is...umm...I guess Rhino but he beat the Shiek and he's not even really an original. So what the hell? Eric Young would be crazy.

I would have to think that something went astray with the idea of Scott Hall doing a run-in tonite during Joe/Nash, it would have made more sense in that match for him to run out and give Joe a low-blow after Nash couldn't do it himself. Instead it just made Joe look shitty (surprise surprise) when he was kicking out of a ton of solid near falls from Nash, and then doesn't kick out to getting a low blow? WTF. Lazy booking 101.

Same story they are also trying to tell as they did with Joe at BFG with Styles not pinning Sting when he could have won the title, and instead tried a second time for the same move and then because of that, lost the match. Exact same finish in an essense of Joe/Sting, which is unexcusable if you ask me. More of same lazy booking, trying to hammer down the point, I guess, that the "kids" got some more work to do before they beat the top dogs.

What gets me more than anything is that Nash, especially, should not be getting the push treatment as strong as he is, as this is just killing Joe in how they are booking this. If there is a bigger picture to Nash/Joe (and I'm sure there is) the way they are booking this, its guaranteeing that Joe isn't even going to get a true rub by the end of it, when he's so cut off in the knees by Nash beforehand. I'm sure there is no coincidence that stuff like this happens when the booking before it should have signaled Nash would have gotten his ass handed to him. Particularly, that promo Nash cut on the last Impact, coupled with the way this match was laid out and done, really was extraordinarily demeaning to any idea of protecting Samoa Joe at all.

All in all it made Styles and Joe look less than stellar after both putting on really strong matches otherwise. There should have been much more protecting these guys in terms of just how the actual finish was done, as enough was given to the rest of those matches to make them both real good matches, but with really counter-productive finishes. Booker/Christian was a boring match for sure, and Angle/Abyss went above anything I expected. Really strong match there, I thought. The opening X division match was also real good. All in all a decent show though, could have been great if it wasn't for some of those finishes.

Ironically enough, the biggest thing I took out of the show was the deal with Scott Hall and ICP. Was this planned? I'm interested in hearing the backstage story of how a possibly drunk Scott Hall shows up with ICP backstage earlier during the ppv, someone determines he is unfit to play his role on the show, and then he leaves the backstage with them and instead of leaving the arena as a whole, they go in it for themselves and head into the front of the cameras. Then again the company didn't try to take them out of there right away after it happened, but it was clear that the announcers had to have been told in their headsets to not talk about them, and for the cameras to try to avoid shots of them. If it wasn't for Bashir flipping out a bit on them after he had a bottle thrown at him, there was no interaction with any of the other guys and the ICP/Hall guys. At first I thought these guys were going to show up as a new faction that was more anti-TNA than anything or something (which would make sense in the context of the main storyline, since the disenfranchised/disgruntled TNA guys that don't want to "take a side" could be put here.

Who's next for Sting? Sting/Joe is apparently not a possibility since that was supposed to have a no rematch clause. Eric Young? Abyss? Rhino perhaps? Not much of a list of contenders there.

I would go with Matt Morgan. He's not been totally booked to hell yet, he's a young guy, and he looks like a guy that could legitimately beat the 97 year old Sting right now.

I didn't see this PPV but it sounds quite honestly like a 1996-98 WCW PPV with the NWO guys beating everyone down at every turn. Some of the action sounds solid enough, but the booking sounds...ugh.

Anyone care to explain the Booker/Christian angle to me? Or rather what the downside is for Christian in all of this. If he wins, he gets a bogus belt that no one cares about. If he loses, he gets to join an awesome group of guys who will all run in on his matches to make sure he wins. Maybe they should have made it clearer that the Main Event Mafia plan on screwing him over and making him a servant.

Who's next for Sting? Sting/Joe is apparently not a possibility since that was supposed to have a no rematch clause. Eric Young? Abyss? Rhino perhaps? Not much of a list of contenders there.

They'll just ignore it if they want to. How many title shots did Abyss earn for himself only for it to be forgotten for months on end. Sting vs AJ sounded like a pretty good match, but they ripped-off the Jeff Hardy/HHH finish (which probably ripped off something else) with the "one more time" thing.

I didn't see this PPV but it sounds quite honestly like a 1996-98 WCW PPV with the NWO guys beating everyone down at every turn. Some of the action sounds solid enough, but the booking sounds...ugh.

It's pretty much the beginning of the nWo angle again so yeah...the MEM dominated. I don't think it was a mistake to do so though.

If Joe & AJ had won, I'd already lose my interest in the angle since it'd be pretty much over. As long as the Originals get their revenge at the end, they won't "WCW" this thing.

That may be too much to ask from TNA but, IMO, so far so good.

One match I failed to mention, yet another example of a solid match context but a lame duck finish....the tag title match. The Machines Guns looked good in there and hopefully we get more of this feud.

I know the idea of this is for the TNA young guys to eventually win, but history has shown us that when you keep putting heels over and have them dominate then it gets harder and harder to do anything else. See NWA from 1986-88 and WCW from 1996-98 for reference.

I just remembered someone the TNA Originals could bring forward and him feuding with Sting could be a LOT of fun.

'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels.

There has been constant talk TNA wanted him to stop being Curry Man and they need someone else the fans could buy into challenging Sting. The Fallen Angel is perfect.