TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NFL Week 11

Romo's throwing hand is NOT ready. They should have just had him practicing this week and next leading up to the Thanksgiving game then make a decision, not STARTING this game. And certainly not on pace to throw over 35 times.

Romo's throwing hand is NOT ready. They should have just had him practicing this week and next leading up to the Thanksgiving game then make a decision, not STARTING this game. And certainly not on pace to throw over 35 times.

Consider the alternatives. After the last few weeks of Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger, there was no way Romo wasn't going to play if it was at all possible for him to be out there.

Everytime the Cowboys win I die a little inside. On days when the Cowboys win and the Eagles lose I almost want to hang myself. I've been experiencing a lot of those days the past few years.

Everytime the Cowboys win I die a little inside. On days when the Cowboys win and the Eagles lose I almost want to hang myself. I've been experiencing a lot of those days the past few years.

But the Eagles didn't lose!

...sorta

But the Eagles didn't lose!

...sorta

They couldn't beat the 1-8 Bengals.....that's a loss to me!

And now let's see how I did with the picks:

NY Jets at New England: This is insanely tough to call. For whatever reason though I can't see the Jets getting swept by the Patriots this year. NYJ by 4. (Got this almost to the spread. 1 for 1)

Early

Denver at Atlanta: Denver looks like bullshit quite honestly, leading the AFC West with a -27 differential. Matt Ryan will have a field day on that D. Falcons by 14. (Okay, Denver impressed me here, I didn't think they could win this one. 1 for 2)

Houston at Indianapolis: Colts are still in must win mode and I expect them to beat the Texans a bit easier this time. Colts by 8. (It was a must win and the Colts yet again barely survive. 2 for 3)

Tennessee at Jacksonville: Who knows with Jacksonville. They have the ability to hand the Titans their first loss, but until the Titans show otherwise I'll pick them. Titans by 7. (Jacksonville started strong, Titans finished strong. These guys are scary. 3 for 4)

Oakland at Miami: Miami staggered to a win over Seattle last week and I think the Raiders will keep it semi close. Dolphins by 6. (Bleh, another lethargic win for the Dolphins. Not sure if they can beat the Pats again playing like this. 4 for 5)

Baltimore at NY Giants: Ravens are playing great right now but so are the Giants and since it's at NYG I'll take the G-Men by 10. (Wasn't even close, Ravens aren't ready to play the upper echelon. 5 for 6)

Detroit at Carolina: Oakland? Detroit? Carolina is getting a beneficial schedule here. Delhomme will play better this week though. Carolina by 17. (Carolina is sneaking past the dregs of the league....it will get tougher from here. 6 for 7)

Philadelphia at Cincinnati: The Eagles are a puzzling team but surely they can stomp the Bengals even in Cincy. Philly by 13. (Eagles yet again prove to be puzzling. No idea how to call this. 6 for 8 I guess since it was a tie)

Chicago at Green Bay: Not sure if Orton or Grossman will be starting but either way the Packers simply can't afford to lose this one at home. Green Bay by 3. (Packers finally put it all together for an absolute rout. Rematch will be closer though I would imagine. 7 for 9)

New Orleans at Kansas City: The Chiefs are getting closer and closer to winning and I think this is the week they finally get it done against a struggling Saints team. KC by 2. (Okay, I was wrong about the Chiefs....they suck. 7 for 10)

Minnesota at Tampa Bay: For whatever reason I am just not buying the Vikings. Tampa will limit Peterson a bit and Frerotte will panic and start throwing INTs. Tampa by 8. (Bucs did limit Peterson just enough to win. 8 for 11)

Late

St. Louis at San Francisco: Niners got insanely close to winning at Arizona and this is a good time to get Singletary that first win. SF by 10. (Wow, the Rams are back to sucking really hard without Steven Jackson. 9 for 12)

Arizona at Seattle: The Cardinals flat out need to win this game given the hard ones they have left. Warner will go for another 300 yards and 3 TDs. Arizona by 12. (Seahawks closed the gap late but it wasn't enough. Warner is still on fire. 10 for 13)

San Diego at Pittsburgh: This one looked better on paper at the beginning of the season. Chargers don't seem to fare all that well on the road this year, so I'll take the Steelers to figure out a way to win here by 7. (Would have nailed this exactly if that last bizarre TD had counted. 11-10 game on the same day as a tie, what a strange day in the NFL. 11 for 14)

SNF

Dallas at Washington: Toughest game of the week to call, since who knows what Romo will be like coming back from injury. Dallas is in flat out must win territory and to be honest the Redskins just seem vaguely fradulent to me. Cowboys by 3. (Cowboys were in must win mode and they somehow snuck out with the win. 12 for 15)

What an ugly game.

The Skins Defense gives up only 14 points, wins the turnover battle and still lose. Redskins offense is in a definate stand-still with the current personnel because they lack depth. Double cover Moss & Cooley and there is no one else to throw to, well except Randel El who shows up for his one big catch before dissapearing for the rest of the game. The Redskins lack of pass rush really needs to be addressed this offseason, they haven't had a good pass rush in a few years and every year it is not addressed.

Ugly win for the Cowboys, but hey a wins a win, and now the NFC East race for 2nd place grows extremely tight.

I wish the Cowboys would have taken the field goal on 4th and 2 to put them up by 7 just so we could see Santana Moss burn them for a ridiculous 70 yard TD again. How many times has that happened?

From the now infamous 11-10 game look at the offensive leaders for the two teams:

Roethlisberger 31-41 308 0 INT

Rivers 15-26 159 2 INT

Parker 25-115 (4.6)

Tomlinson 18-57 (3.17)

Ward 11-124

Tomlinson 3-40

And somehow the Chargers offense outscored the Steelers 10-9 for the game.

Guest Israeli Mixed Wrestling

Great, now the standings are going to be all messed up because of this stupid tie. They should play till there's a winner.

The Bears need to figure out a way to fire Lovie Smith for insubordination so they don't have to pay him $15 million after they fire him (and his stooge Babich) for being an awful and clueless coach with no idea how to run a training camp, a locker room, a press conference, an offense, a defense, or a clock. I don't care that he was the coach when the Bears went to the Super Bowl (and lost). It's just the third instance of the Bears being pressured into signing one-year wonders to prohibitively expensive and lengthy contracts. Same thing happened with Jauron, same thing happened with Wannstedt. In Lovie's case, I remember there was a lot of rabblerousing that the Bears refused to give him a new contract because the McCaskeys are racist and cheap. (Cheap, yes, racist, no.) Players are speaking out to the media about their dissatisfaction with the defensive schemes. Lovie's reaction: "the scheme is fine." Well, no, it's not, certainly not with these crappy players, whom he has now lost. I know the Bears weren't expected to do anything this year, and now probably won't, but I see nothing other than financial obligations that indicates Lovie Smith is fit to keep his job.

Cutting edge analysis from fox announcer in Phi/Cin game: A tie is better than a loss, but not as good as a win.

Amen, I don't cuss much but I dropped an F bomb after that one. At least we now know how a tie plays out in NFC tiebreakers. I also loved how the announcers downplayed an Eagles loss, since it would be against an AFC team.

Guest Vitamin X
Great, now the standings are going to be all messed up because of this stupid tie. They should play till there's a winner.

The Bears need to figure out a way to fire Lovie Smith for insubordination so they don't have to pay him $15 million after they fire him (and his stooge Babich) for being an awful and clueless coach with no idea how to run a training camp, a locker room, a press conference, an offense, a defense, or a clock. I don't care that he was the coach when the Bears went to the Super Bowl (and lost). It's just the third instance of the Bears being pressured into signing one-year wonders to prohibitively expensive and lengthy contracts. Same thing happened with Jauron, same thing happened with Wannstedt. In Lovie's case, I remember there was a lot of rabblerousing that the Bears refused to give him a new contract because the McCaskeys are racist and cheap. (Cheap, yes, racist, no.) Players are speaking out to the media about their dissatisfaction with the defensive schemes. Lovie's reaction: "the scheme is fine." Well, no, it's not, certainly not with these crappy players, whom he has now lost. I know the Bears weren't expected to do anything this year, and now probably won't, but I see nothing other than financial obligations that indicates Lovie Smith is fit to keep his job.

The defense needs help, but what about that vaunted Kyle Orton offense you Bears fans have been yapping about was so great the past few eeks that mustered up a blistering 3 points against Green Bay's defense, which has leaked like a sieve when given the opportunity. Maybe not you in particular, Czech, but comments like this:

That said, phooey to Cabbageboy's seemingly anti-Porter predictions once again; Chicago 31, Green Bay 24 with Orton but Green Bay 38, Chicago 17 with Grossman.

Orton or Grossman, it didn't make a difference. If I was a Bears fan, I really wouldn't be looking at Orton for "improvement." Actually, you know what, don't change a thing.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's the first really bad game he's had all season, and it was on the road. I can forgive that, even if it was against the freakin' Packers. ALL of their losses though, can be directly hung on their defense and coaching. Can't win with 'em. Can't do it. They've allowed big fucking long scoring drives all season, with no adjustment whatsoever. That's not Ortman's fault.

Orton was playing hurt, anyone could see it. In retrospect, rushing him back probably wasn't smart, but look at the alternative. Yeesh. The Bears kept the wrong G-surnamed quarterback. Neither one is particularly good, but one of them, the one that got blacklisted for attributing success to Not Lovie Smith, is at least tall enough to see over the heads of his offensive line when he goes to pass.

I really cannot sit here and keep watching a coaching staff that is philosophically opposed to the mere concept of adjusting in the middle of a game. There's no way that Urlacher, Briggs, and Harris have all hit the Shell Of Self phases of their resp careers at once. I really hope Lovie takes that University of Tennessee job. It's perfect for him. No more big mean media to make his life so hard by doing unthinkable shit like "asking questions," they'd be so thankful to have him as the King of Knoxville that no one would dare try to gain insight from him! Time to come off the bus volunteering.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Say the stars align and Lovie does go back to school after the season. Who replaces him? Sure as shit isn't going to be Turner, right? Think Monte Kiffin would want a head coaching spot?

Inasmuch as most of the Lovie discontent is discontent with the Tampa 2, I don't think they'd go with Monte Kiffin. Jeff Fisher could be an intriguing option, and not just because he played for the Bears and has a moustache. (It helps.) He's respected, he's shown a balance between disciplinarian and players' coach, and the Titans certainly have their defensive bona fides. I'd have to look into him a little more, "get his football information" as Dick Jauron might say, and ascertain that he can manage a clock and run a training camp rather than a country club. It'd be too hard to get him out of Nashville, though. Cowher is always an option, and not just because he's known for coaching a hard-nosed team from an inland city and has a moustache (though again, it helps.) Failing either, any Cowher/Fisher disciples would be a good fit, since their defenses seem to show more versatility and flexibility than ours. Suffice it to say this coaching move would have to accompany massive rebuilding, since Urlacher's days are numbered and the rioster would have to be overhauled to fit a non-Tampa 2 system. Can't really bring back the 46, since I'm pretty sure that's solved the same way the Tampa 2 is. I don't really care what they do as long as it can be adjusted, for the love of God.

I hope the media and management smoke him out. Make him realize how much better he'd have it back in the minors. They'd pay him a lot, too, I bet.

Monte Kiffin has said on more than a few occasions that he isn't interested in a head coaching job. I'm inclined to take that at face value because: 1) he's old, and 2) his stock was never going to be any higher than it was after winning the SB, and he didn't take a head coaching job then. Every coachless team in the league is going to be gunning for Cowher, so get in line. Jeff Fisher is a pipe dream. Why would he leave Tennessee now?

No, I think you guys are going to be stuck with Lovie Smith for at least another year. I'd be stunned if he ended up coaching the Vols, as Lovie's brand of football is exactly what isn't working in the SEC right now.

Earnest Graham is likely done for the year. This is bad news for the Bucs, as he was the one back we have who's really capable of grinding out tough yards. Warrick Dunn and Clifton Smith--the two guys who played HB for us yesterday--are really the same guy, in that they're both shifty and undersized. But Warrick is older and Clifton Smith puts the ball on the ground at least once a game. We'll see what Cadillac is capable of doing coming off of that injury.

So apparently Mercury Morris is a fan of the Titans and is pulling for them to go undefeated. Has anyone ever adequately explained why they keep putting a microphone in front of this guy?

He's always good for a decent soundbyte?

So apparently Mercury Morris is a fan of the Titans and is pulling for them to go undefeated. Has anyone ever adequately explained why they keep putting a microphone in front of this guy?

He's always good for a decent soundbyte?

Yeah, I know that's the reason. I just don't know why anyone would care to hear from Mercury Morris. It's not like he is *that* compelling. Is it really necessary to drag out the corpse of Morris every time some team wins their first few games? He's such a douche.

Guest Vitamin X

Fun fact: The Green Bay Packers' defense and special teams alone has scored as many touchdowns as the Oakland Raiders' offense has all season (9).

You're right, forgot to take GB into account as being the division leader.

Jesus Christ, McNabb just said he didn't know there were ties. The Flyers game can't start soon enough.

Guess Donovan has been hit so many times he thinks he's still at Syracuse. Was probably confused why they were kicking off to start overtime and not giving it to him on the 25.

They didn't even have overtime back then, did they?

No but Donovan watches Sportscenter so he knows they have it now.

He lost to NC State in OT in 1997 while at the Cuse.

Guest Czecherbear
Is it really necessary to drag out the corpse of Morris every time some team wins their first few games? He's such a douche.

Yes, it is necessary, because I'm convinced there's no greater irritant in the world of sports. Corpse? Guy is like 65 years old, probably still has some residual cocaine in his left nostril, and he's still more compelling and charismatic than 95% of the sports world, active players and media alike. This guy should be calling games every Sunday. He's also fucking nuts. He writes rap songs about himself. As far as obnoxious football players go, I'll take "I'LL BE ON THE DOCK WAITIN' FOR MY BRIDE!!" and the rest of his dissociated rambling over "BAAAAAAAALLLLLLLIINN" or whatever the Giants were doing that one year. So yes. We need mountains of Mercury.

Speaking of calling games on Sundays, maybe Agent or others caught this, another low point for the team of Joe Buck and his sidekick Closet McBellrung. Hester stiff-armed some Packer in the face, hard but legal I suppose, then as he ran into Green Bay's sideline, some sideline player pushed Hester. Pretty cheap, Packers got a 15-yarder for unsportsmanlike, and Joe was irate, since Hester should have been penalized for pushing the defender in the face. "And geez," Joe continued, "what was [that guy] supposed to do? Vanish into thin air?" No, fuckface, he was supposed to not cheapshot the guy like a complete retard. Foot...ball?