TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

WWF Survivor Series 1991 & This Tuesday In Texas

Oh, even though I've said it before, Gorilla Monsoon getting on Heenan's case about stealing money (in this instance) or selling Hercules 'down the river', regardless of the angle being years old, Hercules not swinging a chain anymore and just being a tag guy, etc. will never not be funny to me.

And Herc being a heel again.

Nice sign at ringside:

Isn't

Rotunda

Stupid?

Anyways, watching this show as a kid, I never gathered it. But I realize now that this PPV was a total rip-job as they didn't deliver on the Savage return and instead asked you to order another PPV to see it.

Does anyone know how much the Tuesday in Texas PPV cost? Our PPV carrier didn't carry it. I think at the time, WWF PPVs were $19.99 (or $24.95 if you didn't order until the day of the PPV, which I still don't understand). I can't imagine they'd bait-and-switch the people who bought Survivor Series only to hit them with another $20 PPV 6 days later

But then again, Tuesday in Texas' buyrate was so brutal (for standards at that time) so who knows.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Tuesday in Texas a trial run to see if they could pull off weekly PPV's?

Not weekly, but rebound PPV showings with a slightly lowered price tag.

From JR's blog-

Cowboy Bill Watts is set to be a panelist on the next round of the WWE Legends Roundtables to be produced in December.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Sid originally going to captain the Bossman/LOD team but with Savage on the verge of being reinstated, he dropped out?

From JR's blog-

Cowboy Bill Watts is set to be a panelist on the next round of the WWE Legends Roundtables to be produced in December.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Sid originally going to captain the Bossman/LOD team but with Savage on the verge of being reinstated, he dropped out?

Actually Sid was injured (torn bicep IIRC) they kayfabed it having been hurt by Jake in an untelevised match IIRC (may have been true since they were working house shows together at the time).

Anyhow I have the CHV tape I got it used back in 01.

I remember having my cousins over for this PPV since we had a black box at the time . I just had this feeling that Hogan would lose and that and the Rockers fighting ruined the holiday for me . I went to my 1st live event the sat after this (At MSG 11/30/91),but Taker was not there, but I did see Hogan vs Flair.

What the hell happened there? Pipes responded to a comment Matt made in the Legends thread to ask about Sid? Wacky.

I always thought Sid was legit injured because he wore that giant elbow pad for the rest of his career, but maybe that was some style choice. Kayfabe, I think it happened in a match with El Diablo (a set-up by Jake in a mask).

Kayfabe, I think it happened in a match with El Diablo (a set-up by Jake in a mask).

I remember that angle fondly, though it was weird that Duggan randomly came to Sid's rescue.

I remember one of the people I was at the show with thought there was going to be a Grand Finale match even though they never said such a thing on TV. An archived WON mentioned that WWF Magazine advertised it but they changed their minds after going to press.

That would have been something, Ric Flair, Blake Beverly, and The Nasty Boys vs. Big Bossman, Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter, El Matador, and Texas Tornado.

You mean:

Ric Flair, Blake Beverly, and The Nasty Boys vs. Legion of Doom, Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter, El Matador, and Texas Tornado

Yeah I got my main event survivors mixed up. I'm watching 1990 on tape from 24/7 two years ago, then watching / recording 91 right after.

I'm a big mark for the old school Survivor Series (87-92) so needless to say I find this to be a very enjoyable show. Nothing really historic aside from it being the beginning of the long downfall for Hogan in the WWF. He was never the same after this loss. But between the opener featuring most of my favourite stars of the era in a cleverly booked match, Duggan's face team sweeping a bunch of guys who were my least favourite wrestlers in the promotion at the time (I liked Herc, but he was nothing by this point), the beginnings of the Rockers breakup and IRS getting murdered in the main event after being ditched by his teammates. I was fine with interviews from Savage & Roberts since it was redhot at the time and we got the big announcement of Savage being reinstated. This show does really need to be paired with This Tuesday in Texas to be fully appreciated, but this whole time period was one of my highpoints as a fan. In general, I think 1991 is one of the most underrated years in WWF history.

My favorite Monsoon/Heenan moment from this event came after The Rockers' argument. The camera was on the commentators when this exchange happened:

Heenan: You see Monsoon, if you'd read the pages of the WWF Magazine, you'd know that these guys don't get along.

Monsoon: (Headset nearly coming off) THAT'S NOT IN THE MAGAZINE!!! WHY DON'T YOU GET SMART?!?

Monsoon: Can I get security out here?

Heenan: Why, you want another hot dog?

This is an odd one...

Heenan: The taco king rang his bell! As in Taco Bell!

I wait for a "WILL YOU STOP!" or a "WILL YOU BE SERIOUS"...

Monsoon: I understand.

The greatest Heenan/Monsoon moment, by far, is at WrestleMania VIII, right at the beginning of the Tatanka/Martel match. It was directly after Flair/Savage, and Heenan was back in the booth after doing a Mean Gene interview with Flair and Perfect about Savage pulling the tights, and he was still "pissed" about the loss. Gorilla keeps egging him on, and Heenan gets more and more "upset" to the point where he ends up challenging Gorilla to a fight, right there in the booth.

Heenan: You are not going to make me upset! NOT GOING TO MAKE ME UPSET!

Monsoon: Don't jump, it's a long way down!

Heenan: Put 'em up! Put 'em Up!

Monsoon: The Brain has lost it here, folks......

It loses something when read, you just have to hear it.

I've said this before but I would pay good money to hear Gorilla and the Brain annouce just one more time. Thankfully, there's a ton of shows that they worked that you can enjoy on 24/7. But like the Don says to Michael in The Godfather "There just wasn't enough time."

What I remember most about Survivor Series was seeing it over my best friend's house. I met my best friend at my cousin's house during WMVII earlier that year. What was cool about this PPV was it was on a Wednesday before Thanksgiving so there was no school the next day. That's the only thing I hated about WWF PPV's...you had to go to school the next day.

Watched this with a couple friends the other night. Just awful. One of my friends actually went to this show, though he has little recollection of it, other than hiding his face for the majority of the Hogan/Undertaker match.

The opener features the Survivor Series cop-out eliminations at their worst. Almost as annoying is the lethargic build to it. They go on for 20 to 25 minutes and only have two eliminations. The second match is like a Wrestlecrap Who's Who, but enjoyable for the commentary and Berzerker's over-the-top antics. Everything's just dead after the title match. Looking back, it's so transparent how this was a pretty pricey shill for another PPV less than a week later.

Jake's shirt- what the hell is that?

I don't get why they couldn't give the opening match 10-15 more minutes. Mountie and Virgil were obviously next on the totem pole, and then you have a nice tag match to finish it.

The huge pop Taker gets for winning is hilarious.

I've said this before but I would pay good money to hear Gorilla and the Brain annouce just one more time. Thankfully, there's a ton of shows that they worked that you can enjoy on 24/7. But like the Don says to Michael in The Godfather "There just wasn't enough time."

What I remember most about Survivor Series was seeing it over my best friend's house. I met my best friend at my cousin's house during WMVII earlier that year. What was cool about this PPV was it was on a Wednesday before Thanksgiving so there was no school the next day. That's the only thing I hated about WWF PPV's...you had to go to school the next day.

I was surprised to find out that Gorilla was voted Worst Television Announcer six times (1985, 1991–1995) by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Watched this with a couple friends the other night. Just awful. One of my friends actually went to this show, though he has little recollection of it, other than hiding his face for the majority of the Hogan/Undertaker match.

The opener features the Survivor Series cop-out eliminations at their worst. Almost as annoying is the lethargic build to it. They go on for 20 to 25 minutes and only have two eliminations. The second match is like a Wrestlecrap Who's Who, but enjoyable for the commentary and Berzerker's over-the-top antics. Everything's just dead after the title match. Looking back, it's so transparent how this was a pretty pricey shill for another PPV less than a week later.

If you were to have a drinking game based on how many times someone mentions Tuesday, Texas, or calling the cable provider you're watching right now, you'd begin telling people that if they wanted to play 21, you have 22, and if they wanted to play Blackjack, you'd have four of those too.

I was surprised to find out that Gorilla was voted Worst Television Announcer six times (1985, 1991–1995) by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Dave explained this on a F4W radio show as many people in their 20s now don't get the hate. It was justified that, as an announcer whose job it was to get a story across and what have you, Monsoon would often chastise people for not hooking the leg or going for a pinfall after a move that obviously was not the finish. I enjoyed his say what you want style, but others in that era did not.

I always kinda liked Monsoon for getting on Bret for not hooking a leg, since that was always a problem I had with Bret's matches (only big one really). Wouldn't the Excellence of Execution know that he needed to hook the leg?

Gorilla never usually did that sort of thing on a match that actually mattered though.