TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AnonymousBroccoli

Mirror's Edge

I picked it up today. I like it so far. Though it's definitely not a perfect game, by any means.

The platforming bits are generally fun, though I find I'm not always grabbing ledges when I think I should. There was one part in a sewer, where I grabbed on to a concrete ledge, but I couldn't climb up from there, and I also couldn't shimmy slightly to the left to the metal walkway. So I pretty much had to fall to my death.

Or I'm not able to climb on to some surfaces, for some reason. I just got past a part where I could climb on to shipping containers, but not a building ledge to get to its roof. And it wasn't because it was too high.

And the proper path isn't always clear. A lot of times, I end up having to cheat with the B button to just figure out where it is I'm supposed to go.

I do like the general game concept; the art style; the voice work; the controls are pretty good for the mostpart. You will die a lot, but you're re-loaded pretty close to where you died within about 4 seconds. Technically, it looks really good too. There's a few minor pop-in issues here and there, and the animation when the guards fall over is kind of goofy.

The platforming bits are generally fun, though I find I'm not always grabbing ledges when I think I should. There was one part in a sewer, where I grabbed on to a concrete ledge, but I couldn't climb up from there, and I also couldn't shimmy slightly to the left to the metal walkway. So I pretty much had to fall to my death.

When you hit that button, run across to the other side, climb up, and get through the gate before it closes, the part right after that?

If you mean that grip right after you run up the wall, you can't really fall and die, so I guess it must be some other part. :P However, I did have a similar false start there.

I got the game and really like it. It's pretty much like a 1st person Prince of Persia. Running, jumping, finding a path to get from point a to b using the terrain, running along walls, really BAD combat though. Seriously. Like, I know Faith probably is like 98 pounds, but if I jump kick a guy and hit him square on, he should go down, darn it!!

I think that the relative barrenness of the game's landscape could be varied up a bit by some non-opposition people. Just random citizens once in a while, even.

I haven't tried it out yet, but this looks amusing:

http://www.destructoid.com/faith-goes-2d-i...me-111268.phtml

When you hit that button, run across to the other side, climb up, and get through the gate before it closes, the part right after that?

If you mean that grip right after you run up the wall, you can't really fall and die, so I guess it must be some other part. :P However, I did have a similar false start there.

I think it was before that. You're in a fairly long corridor with a bunch of wide pillars, and there might be snipers on the right at the some point. I can't remember. It was just an odd situation where I grabbed one surface, and couldn't transition to a different surface, literally right next to it.

The combat definitely has a learning curve to it. And you'll die. A lot. I think it's fun, though. There's a lot of little tricks I could/should be using, including the X-button slowdown bit. I should also use the RB 180° turn more, though even with my limited first-person experience, I tend to just do it the old-fashioned way. You really need to hit and run, especially with multiple enemies in a group. You'll only take a few shots or melee attacks before you die, but you do regenerate health somewhat quickly. And using guns is actually useful sometimes.

I finished the story mode. Not too difficult for the mostpart. A few slightly challenging sections, where it took a while to figure out the way through (and one where I had a total 15-minute brain fart trying to climb up when the answer was down). As I've mentioned before, it's a quick re-load, and you generally start very close to where you died. So I didn't find it too frustrating. I really liked the play mechanics, so I'm sure that helped.

I like the main theme music: the creatively-titled

The art style overall is very nice. The 2D animated cinematics remind me of a smoother Fear Effect.

Despite the grief of having to be online, and sign in with an EA account to access it, the time trials and speed runs seem like they could add a lot of replayability for certain people.

I had a lot of fun with the game. I don't know that I can whole-heartedly recommend buying it, unless you're a time trial junkie. But a rental would certainly be worthwhile. If you really, really get aggravated by trial and error, even with slight loading, then yeah, maybe stay away. If it were a 10-second wait every time, then I would have gone mental. (The only exception: It was about 15-20 seconds to re-start a speed run if you screw up, so that might drive you batty.)

Edit: Forgot to mention... I found there was 2 or 3 really great "Holy shit!" moments too.

I'm doing some time trials now. That's pretty fun. You've gotta casually run through the first time to get a lay of the land. Second time, you go for speed. Then you screw around with that path for a while. Then you go back and try to find new paths, and improve your time there. It uses the same environments, but based on the different checkpoints, it can change things up quite a bit.

It's interesting how subtle things will affect your speed. I think you might be allowed to strafe just slightly, but if you go too far, you'll slow down. If you come down off a cliff and roll when you don't have to, you'll slow down. But if you don't roll when you should, you'll take time to recover. If you turn too much, you'll slow down. If you don't time your vaults right, or know when you can vault, you won't gain speed. Conversely, if you jump, rather than slide, and the obstacle is too high, you'll have to climb over. If you don't jump into walls head on, then it'll take a second to adjust and climb over.

I can also remember saying that this seems like it'd be more like a PC game. Having played it now, I don't know how well that'd work. I think some of the platforming manoeuvres would be trickier to pull off with a keyboard & mouse. And they're already tricky enough.

Cleared the campaign and had a blast. I'll be replaying speed runs and time trials for fun, though. I am glad to see that you don't have to make an EA account, just if you want to upload your times to the leaderboards.

If you choose to "create account" without entering info, and cancel, it'll allow you to enter the offline stage selection list.