TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Bobby Lashley makes MMA debut on December 13th...

Nah. The only dude who needs to be openly villified is Forrest Griffin, due to being a massive douche bag who somehow has managed to cultivate a loveable yokel image.

Nah. The only dude who needs to be openly villified is Forrest Griffin, due to being a massive douche bag who somehow has managed to cultivate a loveable yokel image.

Yeah, I've heard he is a fucking dickhead.

Wasn't there a story about Forrest stealing some kids french fries?

This was all after the autograph incident. Some kid was there and he walked off. I sat down at his chair and Forrest came up and sat beside me and just looked at me. I looked back and he looked down at the order of onion rings. It was a long uncomfortable silence before I was like "What?"

Forrest: Whose food is that?

Me: I dunno, some kid.

Forrest: Are you going to eat it?

Me: Well, I mean, it's not my foo....

Forrest (interrupting): SO?!? (long pause) Hey mon, I'll eat one if you eat one.

I pick up one and eat it and look at Forrest who then gets them ALL, like when Napoleon got Pedro's tots, wads them up in a big ball, and starts like cramming them in.

Later, the kid whose food we had just eaten comes up with a napkin and a pen and asks Forrest for his autograph. Forrest, looks at the kid and smiles and is like ME?!?! Nah..... all shy and shit. the kid is like please Mister Griffin, I'm a fan of yours, I watch you every week! (The kid is like 13 I think) FOrrest is like, "oh, thanks little guy" Takes the pen, presses it against the napkin, then just says "Nah" Drops the pen, and turns his back to the kid and asks me if I have anything else to eat. The fucking kid just stands there looking at the blank napkin and taps Forrest and says something else to him and Forrest is like, "No, seriously, I'm not signing your autograph. Take your pen and go back over there with your mom."

fucking PWN#DF(DFD The kid just hung his head and walked off slowly.

This was our first inkling that Blake's buddy might be a bit of a dick, which has since been confirmed by just about everyone who's met the guy.

Right now I've got Forrest by DEC. Him getting cracked is a chance but Rashad has to overcome a huge height/size/reach advantage and when (not if) he takes Forrest down he'll be dealing with a lanky grappler who's good off his back.

It's not like Rashad hasn't been dealing with taller fighters with more reach his whole career.

On paper Rashad has all the tools to beat Forrest, and he especially has a confidence booster with Jardine in his corner. Greg Jackson will have the best gameplan for Rashad that night.

Up to this point the tallest fighter Rashad has faced is Bonnar and he couldn't do much inside his guard. Forrest is better off his back with better stand-up.

It's not like this is a "Rashad has no chance" situation but Forrest will be the favorite by at least a decent margin.

Up to this point the tallest fighter Rashad has faced is Bonnar and he couldn't do much inside his guard. Forrest is better off his back with better stand-up.

It's not like this is a "Rashad has no chance" situation but Forrest will be the favorite by at least a decent margin.

Imes.

My bad, yeah.

Was thinking since dropping to LHW.

Chuck is problay just as tall as Forrest despite what the UFC official stats say, which is usually inaccurate.

Forrest should be the favorite because he is the champ. I'd rather Forrest is the favorite, Rashad usually fights better when he is the underdog.

From Smoots:

"Went to the MFA event last night, saw Bobby Lashley debut in as unsatisfying a manner as possible. Dude shot immediately, launched some early Lesnar-esque spastic GnP, cut stoppage 30 seconds in. He looked competent enough I supppose, and did get the W."

From Smoots:

"... in as unsatisfying a manner as possible.... cut stoppage 30 seconds in...."

While I didn't see the fight, so there may be something I'm missing, but I hardly see a cut stoppage in 30 seconds as disappointing. It obviously shows dominance in some form, while at the same time pounding someone enough in the first 30-40 seconds of a fight enough to warrant a stoppage due to blood sounds impressive to me.

Going in, everyone already new that Lashley was big, strong, and could wrestle. The fight offered absolutely no new insight into his skillset, as he wasn't forced to strike, take any punches, attempt submissions, or improve ground positioning. It's hard to ascertain how hard he even hits, as a cut stoppage is hardly indicitive of someone's punching power, and even glancing blows can cut. Lashley is still as much of an unknown as he was before the fight.

EDIT: Actually, he was forced to stand at one point, as his opponen to managed to get back to his feet, and they traded some spastic flailing, with Lashley landing a decent shot. The ending was definitely dissapointing, as the fight was stopped as both guys stood around, before either one had a chance to do much.

Well that was an underwhelming fight if I've ever seen one.

If Lashley progresses to the point where he enters UFC, and wins a few big fights, would a Lesnar/Lashley fight draw the hardcore MMA fans? Or would they be totally turned off by not one former WWE champion fighting on a show, but two against one another in a major fight?

I don't understand why they had to stop it that early. Surely they could have let it go on for another minute or two and re-evaluated then.

Unless it was a vision thing.

If Lashley progresses to the point where he enters UFC, and wins a few big fights, would a Lesnar/Lashley fight draw the hardcore MMA fans? Or would they be totally turned off by not one former WWE champion fighting on a show, but two against one another in a major fight?

If Lesnar has been accepted by hardcore fans by then, it would help. Otherwise, they'd reject the fight out of hand because of their pro wrestling background. And I don't think the casual fans would care because Lashley wasn't a star in pro wrestling and he totally lacks any kind of personality or ability to connect with the crowd. At best, it would fit into the semi-main event position underneath a title fight.

Lashley will be fighting on March 21st on a boxing/MMA card that Roy Jones will be main eventing.

Roy is promoting this card himself, and it will be on PPV.