TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Wh...what the fuck is that? I mean...um...what the hell..

Duhon, Mobley, chandler, Harrington, lee.

I mean...what the fuck is that?

Are they going to let marbury play now?

They've cleared enough room to sign LeBron and someone else like Bosh, Amare, Wade, etc. at the end of 2010.

While I usually agree with rebuilding phases, they've been on one for a while, and this doesn't seem like a sure-fire guarantee kind of strategy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-k...p&type=lgns

It's official, the Knicks have traded Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins for Cuttino Mobley & Tim Thomas. If only they had been getting rid of the deadweight over the last couple of years these next two wouldn't look just like the entire reign of Isiah. If this team doesn't end up with a legit superstar or two by 2010, they will have lost the city entirely.

They've cleared enough room to sign LeBron and someone else like Bosh, Amare, Wade, etc. at the end of 2010.

While I usually agree with rebuilding phases, they've been on one for a while, and this doesn't seem like a sure-fire guarantee kind of strategy.

They haven't been on this rebuilding phase in 12 years. The last time they had cap room was the year they signed Allan Houston, Larry Johnson and Chris Childs.

They haven't been on this rebuilding phase in 12 years. The last time they had cap room was the year they signed Allan Houston, Larry Johnson and Chris Childs.

I'm sure that worked real well for them too, judging by all the titles they've won since they signed all those players.

And yeah, I did realize what I said sounded kind of dumb. I meant they haven't been winning in a long time. They clearly have spent a lot of money, though.

The team after trade isn't that much worse than before. Harrington and Thomas can approximate Randolph, and Mobley is a better defender than Crawford.

I'm torn. I don't like it, but at least it makes some sense to me.

On the one hand this puts us in great shape for the 2010 offseason, I get that, and I'm down with that plan. It's a crapshoot of course, but with money to burn, the allure of NYC and a coach that most guys around the league would be happy to play for I like our chances to get at least one of the big names.

On the other I hate that we're throwing in the towel on this season by trading our two best players and dismantling a fun team that had a legit shot at the playoffs. It just really sucks as a fan that we're looking at another season that's essentially over before it started. For different reasons than the last couple years and with a greater sense of optimism for the future, but it still crushes any hope I had that this would be the year that things would be different.

I guess from Walsh's perspective he felt like he had a pair of palatable deals on the table and it was better to make them now than to wait til later on, in case the team continued playing .500 ball, in which case it would anger the fanbase a lot more than it might so early on in the season. And I guess maybe it's better to make deals while you can than to wait til the trade deadline or the offseason when the landscape might change and you might not find the right trade partner to suit your needs.

D'Antoni was trying to spin it like even though it was obviously a move for the future the players we got back will give us a chance to win now. I don't really buy that. I don't think we'll be terrible, but we won't be very good either. This is a such an obvious step backwards in talent, it would be a miracle for D'Antoni to get more than 35 wins with this group. Al Harrington and Tim Thomas are essentially the same player, outside shooting 3/4's who've played center in smaller run n' gun lineups. Not that I expect the Italian to give us anything this year, but with him in the lineup that would be 3 outside shooting big men. We lose our best rebounder and we now have no post presence whatsoever. Maybe this puts Curry back in the picture but he's been deeply entrenched in D'Antoni's doghouse so I wouldn't bet on it, and he doesn't pass or move well enough to fit the offensive flow anyway. I doubt Marbury reenters the picture either. Mobley might be a good fit but he's an average player and our backcourt is really small now. The one upgrade I see here is that our defense might improve a little, Thomas is pretty good I think, Harrington I haven't seen enough of in recent years but I know he was regarded as a pretty good defender when he was with Indiana, Mobley is a wash, better at staying in front of his man and using his body than Crawford but won't create turnovers and fast breaks like Jamal did. Bottom line is without any sort of inside presence the defense still won't be very good.

Nate Robinson has had a really good season so far and now it looks like he's our best player. He's going to have to be mini Michael Jordan for this team to be any good.

I really don't think this makes the Knicks too much worse, but I'm really surprised they traded Crawford. He was working out really well under D'Antoni.

Also, what the fuck was Toronto doing on that last play? That's just pathetic.

Why the fuck exactly are PJ Carlisimo's glasses so goddamned big. You can't even buy glasses that big anymore.

Guest Czecherbear
He insisted that he learned the art of developing relationships with players under the four-time champion Spurs coach, but several sources insisted that he reverted back to the strident ways that precipitated the Latrell Sprewell attack in 1999.

Yeah, bitch had it coming.

I can't believe he even got another coaching gig to begin with. You would think his stints in Portland and Golden State would've proven that he can't coach in the NBA

Guest Czecherbear

Shitty P.J. Carlesimo was hired to help sabotage the 07-08 Supersonics season. Mission accomplished!

For the record, the Pacers have had a second-half lead in EVERY SINGLE GAME this season, and are now 5-7. Hilarious.

I'm torn. I don't like it, but at least it makes some sense to me.

On the one hand this puts us in great shape for the 2010 offseason, I get that, and I'm down with that plan. It's a crapshoot of course, but with money to burn, the allure of NYC and a coach that most guys around the league would be happy to play for I like our chances to get at least one of the big names.

On the other I hate that we're throwing in the towel on this season by trading our two best players and dismantling a fun team that had a legit shot at the playoffs. It just really sucks as a fan that we're looking at another season that's essentially over before it started. For different reasons than the last couple years and with a greater sense of optimism for the future, but it still crushes any hope I had that this would be the year that things would be different.

I guess from Walsh's perspective he felt like he had a pair of palatable deals on the table and it was better to make them now than to wait til later on, in case the team continued playing .500 ball, in which case it would anger the fanbase a lot more than it might so early on in the season. And I guess maybe it's better to make deals while you can than to wait til the trade deadline or the offseason when the landscape might change and you might not find the right trade partner to suit your needs.

D'Antoni was trying to spin it like even though it was obviously a move for the future the players we got back will give us a chance to win now. I don't really buy that. I don't think we'll be terrible, but we won't be very good either. This is a such an obvious step backwards in talent, it would be a miracle for D'Antoni to get more than 35 wins with this group. Al Harrington and Tim Thomas are essentially the same player, outside shooting 3/4's who've played center in smaller run n' gun lineups. Not that I expect the Italian to give us anything this year, but with him in the lineup that would be 3 outside shooting big men. We lose our best rebounder and we now have no post presence whatsoever. Maybe this puts Curry back in the picture but he's been deeply entrenched in D'Antoni's doghouse so I wouldn't bet on it, and he doesn't pass or move well enough to fit the offensive flow anyway. I doubt Marbury reenters the picture either. Mobley might be a good fit but he's an average player and our backcourt is really small now. The one upgrade I see here is that our defense might improve a little, Thomas is pretty good I think, Harrington I haven't seen enough of in recent years but I know he was regarded as a pretty good defender when he was with Indiana, Mobley is a wash, better at staying in front of his man and using his body than Crawford but won't create turnovers and fast breaks like Jamal did. Bottom line is without any sort of inside presence the defense still won't be very good.

Nate Robinson has had a really good season so far and now it looks like he's our best player. He's going to have to be mini Michael Jordan for this team to be any good.

I dont understand why you can hate the trades. I really dont. I am a long time suffering Knicks fan since 1992. My first memories of the Knicks was when they got creamed by Jordan and the bulls in game 7 of the EC Semifinals in 1992. Lets not forget about Charles Smith in Game 5 of the 1993 ECF. How about starks in game 7 of the 94 finals. Or how about Patrick Ewing going for a fingeroll instead of a dunk at the end of game 7 in 95 against the Pacers. How about the brawl against the Heat in 1997 with Ewing getting suspended for having the nerve to go halfcourt and watch the fight.

The 2000's have been the worst decade by far for the Knicks. Knicks have only made the playoffs one time in 2004 and were swept. Every single season this decade has been a losing season. The Knicks are coming off 50-60 loss seasons for the past 4 years. If they are lucky to make it to the playoffs this year or next, it will be a first round ouster by the Celtics, Pistons or Cavs.

Walsh had to make these trades due to the Knicks having two of the worst GM's in the history of the NBA. Drafting Frederic Weis over the hometown product named Ron Artest. Not letting Ewings contract expire. Trading Ewing for the massive contracts of Luc Longely, Travis Knight and Glenn Rice. Signing Houston to a 100 million dollar contract. Giving big deals to Howard Eisley and Shannon Anderson. Drafting Nene Hilario instead of Amare Stoudamire in 2002. Trading Nene for Antonio Mcdyess. Then we have the Isiah Thomas years. I supported the Starbury trade, it was the right thing to do at the time. Thomas did well in the draft by getting Chandler, Robinson and David Lee. However, he messed that all up by trading away first round draft picks two times. The trades for Curry, Randolph, Steve Francis and Jalen Rose combined with the signings of Jared Jeffries and Jerome James all crippled this franchise.

The Knicks suck and they will suck for the next couple of seasons. They have a couple of good young players that you would like to use as role players but not players to build a franchise around. Walsh isn't here for the team to win 40 games and lose in the first round. He is trying to build a team that can win 55 games year in and year out. He is trying to build a team that can win 2-4 playoff series every year. The Knicks had to clear the cap space to give themselves the chance to sign a superstar or two.

Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph are two young above average players but you dont build a team around them. Crawford and Randolph have only played for losers. Neither one of them has carried their team to the playoffs. Lebron James, Chris Bosh have done more in this league with lesser talent for teammates than Randolph or Crawford.

Finally, how do the Knicks lose the city? The Knicks have played what 4 home playoff games this decade? A losing season every year this decade? Even if the Knicks aren't able to get Lebron, Bosh or Wade, they are still able to be under the cap and be able to get the players that they want. Not the players that Thomas left over and they cant get rid of due to horrible contracts. Friday was a huge step in the right direction for the Knicks.

Finally, how do the Knicks lose the city?

If they don't get a superstar in 2010, then they will have gone almost 10 years with nothing to show for it but rising ticket prices. It's pretty much an all or nothing move at this point.

Finally, how do the Knicks lose the city?

If they don't get a superstar in 2010, then they will have gone almost 10 years with nothing to show for it but rising ticket prices. It's pretty much an all or nothing move at this point.

Ok, well they are in posistion to get 2 superstars in 2010. If they could find someone to take Fat Albert off of their hands it would be even better. Even if they dont get a superstar, they would have the flexibility to get someone the year after. The Knicks aren't going to win this year or next. They aren't going to become the NBA version of the Rays and make it to the finals. You dont build your team around Randolph and Crawford. Especially when they are beyond overpaid. I rather see the Knicks spend 40 million a year on payroll and win 30 games then spend 120 million a year on contracts and win 32 games. The knicks are in a much better posistion to win than they were on Thursday.

Plus, most of the Knicks fans who call into WFan having been crying/screaming for the Knicks to rebuild since 2002. It's a shame that it took Dolan 6 years to finally listen to the voice of reason.

What were the Knicks supposed to do? Keep Crawford and Randolph? When were they going to win? Their payroll was well above the salary cap. They weren't going to be able to sign an impact player. The Knicks were/are too stupid of an organization to just tank the season and try to win in the lottery to get the #1 pick. Look at the end of last year for an example. I am sure Thomas was happy to get those last couple of wins to screw their chances. The Knicks now have an honest chance at winning in 2011. Keeping this team the way it is was only going to delay everything years. They aren't the Yankees/Red Sox who can retool every year. They are the Knicks who have to rebuild.

Ok, well they are in posistion to get 2 superstars in 2010. If they could find someone to take Fat Albert off of their hands it would be even better. Even if they dont get a superstar, they would have the flexibility to get someone the year after. The Knicks aren't going to win this year or next. They aren't going to become the NBA version of the Rays and make it to the finals. You dont build your team around Randolph and Crawford. Especially when they are beyond overpaid. I rather see the Knicks spend 40 million a year on payroll and win 30 games then spend 120 million a year on contracts and win 32 games. The knicks are in a much better posistion to win than they were on Thursday.

Plus, most of the Knicks fans who call into WFan having been crying/screaming for the Knicks to rebuild since 2002. It's a shame that it took Dolan 6 years to finally listen to the voice of reason.

What were the Knicks supposed to do? Keep Crawford and Randolph? When were they going to win? Their payroll was well above the salary cap. They weren't going to be able to sign an impact player. The Knicks were/are too stupid of an organization to just tank the season and try to win in the lottery to get the #1 pick. Look at the end of last year for an example. I am sure Thomas was happy to get those last couple of wins to screw their chances. The Knicks now have an honest chance at winning in 2011. Keeping this team the way it is was only going to delay everything years. They aren't the Yankees/Red Sox who can retool every year. They are the Knicks who have to rebuild.

I agree with you, but the fanbase has essentially been led to believe it's LeBron or bust, and if they don't end up with him there will be a lot of bitter people who will have sat through a decade of horrible teams for nothing. It's somewhat like when the Celts put all of their eggs in the Duncan basket, only we didn't have 16 banners hanging from the rafters. I've been an advocate of blowing up this team for years, but the Dolans seemed to think the fans would disappear if we were one of the worst teams in the league for a couple of years. Apparently they never envisioned this scenario where we've been terrible and/or cap strapped for 9 years in a row by the time 2010 rolls around.

Yeah but the Celtics were putting all of their eggs in one basket for an NBA draft which had unproven players. The Knicks are putting all of their eggs in one basket to sign a franchise player or two. Even if they dont get King James, there are still going to be Bosh and Wade and everybody else. Even if they dont sign anybody they can stand pat and wait a year. Plus most of the fans who go to games are Rich and go because it is more of an event than anything. Diehard fans are not sitting in the courtside seats that cost $2000 a seat. The diehard fans are the ones who have been crying for a change and to rebuild.

Chris Bosh is a talented player, but he's not a big enough name to make up for 9 seasons of horrible teams. They basically need Wade or LeBron to bring back the fans who are nauseated by the results of Layden & Thomas. The Garden hasn't been meaningful since 2000, and that's a shame.

Ok, well compare Bosh to Randolph and Crawford. Bosh leads his team to the playoffs, Bosh leads his team to playoff victories and series victories. Bosh does this with a lesser supporting cast of teammates on paper. Crawford and Randolph on paper had better teammates. Crawford and Randolph lead their teams to 25 win seasons. Bosh is a person who you build around. The Knicks goal should be getting rid of Fat Albert's 11 million contract in 2010-2011 and getting two superstar players while figuring out a way to keep Lee, Robinson and Chandler.