TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/19 - 11/23

It's another Biggest Game of the Century of the Decade of the Year of the Month of the of the Week of the Day on Saturday...and I'm of course talking about the Apple Cup! Washington! Washington State! Someone must win! Or do they? I'm predicting a ten overtime, missed field goal fest that ends in a tie due to lack of interest to continue the game between everyone involved.

Oh ya and there's Texas Tech/Oklahoma but really, who gives a shit?

Also there's the Holy War between BYU and Utah with major BCS implications which you can all see on the Mtn. Network! Okay maybe two of you can see the game while the rest of us follow one of those online game trackers.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

WEDNESDAY

#17 Ball State at Central Michigan, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#23 Miami at Georgia Tech, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

Fresno State at San Jose State, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Michigan at #10 Ohio State, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC

West Virginia at Louisville, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Indiana at Purdue, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Yale at Harvard, Noon/9:00 AM, Versus

Syracuse at Notre Dame 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, NBC

Washington at Washington State, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

Mississippi at #18 LSU, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

#15 Michigan State at #8 Penn State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN

Boston College at Wake Forest, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

Stanford at California, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Air Force at #16 TCU, 3:30/12:30 PM, Versus

#9 Boise State at Nevada, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN2

#21 Oregon State at Arizona, 7:00/4:00 PM, Versus

#20 Pittsburgh at #19 Cincinnati, 7:15/4:15 PM, ESPN2

Florida State at #25 Maryland, 7:45/4:45 PM, ESPN

#2 Texas Tech at #5 Oklahoma, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC

SUNDAY

Connecticut at South Florida, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

THURSDAY

Grambling vs. Texas Southern, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPNU

SATURDAY

N.C. State at #22 North Carolina, Noon/9:00 AM, Raycom*/GP

Clemson at Virginia, Noon/9:00 AM, Raycom*/GP

Army at Rutgers, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Tennessee at Vanderbilt, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Raycom*/GP

Lehigh at Lafayette, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, FCS Atlantic

Citadel at #4 Florida, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, GP

Colorado State at Wyoming, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

Bethune-Cookman vs. Florida A&M, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN Classic

Youngstown State at Western Illinois, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, FCS Central

Jackson State at Alcorn State, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, ESPNU

Florida Atlantic at Arkansas State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

Illinois at Northwestern, 3:30/12:30 PM, BTN*

Cal-Poly at Wisconsin, 3:30/12:30 PM, BTN*

Marshall at Rice, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBSCS

Iowa State at Kansas State, 3:30/12:30 PM, FCS Central

Louisiana Tech at New Mexico State, 4:00/1:00 PM, GP

Duke at Virginia Tech, 5:30/2:30 PM, ESPNU

#14 BYU at #7 Utah, 6:00/3:00 PM, Mtn.

Iowa at Minnesota, 7:00/4:00 PM, BTN

McNeese State at Central Arkansas, 7:00/4:00 PM, FCS Central

UNLV at San Diego State, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

Idaho at Hawaii, 11:00/8:00 PM, GP

All Other Division I-A Games

TUESDAY

Northern Illinois at Kent State

FRIDAY

Buffalo at Bowling Green

Miami of Ohio at Toledo

SATURDAY

Eastern Michigan at Temple

UCF at Memphis

Arkansas at Mississippi State

Tulane at Tulsa

Akron at Ohio

UTEP at Houston

North Texas at Middle Tennessee

East Carolina at UAB

UL Monroe at FIU

UL Lafayette at Troy

Edited by Bored

Guest Smues

Can't wait for that Apple Cup. I double checked my local listings and I should be getting it, so I'm gonna have a blast watching it. Had WSU not scheduled a I-AA team we'd have the battle of the zero win teams, but as is we have the battle of the teams without a I-A win between them. WSU got more hype for getting blown out by I-A teams, but trust me outside of the BYU game UW has been just as awful. I'm clearing room in my Tivo for this one, it's going to be EPIC!

Big I-AA Matchups this week along with several inter-conference battles!

7-4 Montana State @ 10-1 Montana

1:00 PM ET on FamilyNet: 8-3 Elon @ 9-2 Liberty

8-3 Richmond @ 7-3 William & Mary

8-2 New Hampshire @ 8-3 Maine

FCS vs. FBS - 3:30 PM ET on Big 10 Network: 8-1 Cal Poly @ 6-5 Wisconsin

12 PM ET on Versus: 6-3 Yale @ 8-1 Harvard

Florida Citrus Bowl: 8-2 Bethune-Cookman @ 8-3 Florida A&M

7-3 Eastern Kentucky @ 8-3 Tennessee-Martin

12:30 PM ET on Time Warner: 7-3 Holy Cross @ 8-2 Colgate

9-2 Dayton @ 8-3 Jacksonville

12 PM ET on CSS: 7-4 Furman @ 8-2 Wofford

7-3 McNeese State @ 9-2 Central Arkansas

Oh Fuck

Fox says it is out of bidding for BCS

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fox Sports says it has decided not to match ESPN's offer to air the Bowl Championship Series from 2011-14, leaving the door open for the cable network to acquire the rights.

The network released a statement Monday saying it made a "very competitive bid" even with "today's vast economic uncertainties" but that BCS officials weren't satisfied.

Fox had a four-year, $320 million deal to broadcast the BCS games from 2007-10.

ESPN is now in prime position to get the bowl games, and has previously met with BCS officials. The cable network's broadcast partner ABC already has the rights to the Rose Bowl.

Before Fox snagged the current deal ABC held the rights since 1998, when college football's major conferences implemented the system to crown a national champion.

Whole Article

We'll see if Dama agrees with this, but I think OU beats TX Tech this weekend. Tech has had most of the tough ones at home and barely got by Texas. OU can put up some crazy numbers of their own and at home should take this thing and give us the fiasco of 3 one loss teams in the Big 12 south.

As far as Utah vs. BYU goes, who knows. BYU seems like the better team, but then I thought TCU seemed like the better team against Utah too. Just have a funny feeling by hook or crook Utah will find a way to end up winning by 1. If not, then the Mt. West ends up in chaos as well with 3 one loss teams tied for first.

I think OU will beat Tech yes....but that doesn't exactly give us the 3-way tie I've been talking about. On the road at OSU is a very very hard game for OU. Right now I only give them about a 40% chance of winning that game.

I think OU will beat Tech yes....but that doesn't exactly give us the 3-way tie I've been talking about. On the road at OSU is a very very hard game for OU. Right now I only give them about a 40% chance of winning that game.

Dama, it's good that you're toning down your OU homerism. But let's not get carried away. Oklahoma will handle State just fine. But hey, feel free to lose. USC needs the help.

Oh Fuck

Fox says it is out of bidding for BCS

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fox Sports says it has decided not to match ESPN's offer to air the Bowl Championship Series from 2011-14, leaving the door open for the cable network to acquire the rights.

The network released a statement Monday saying it made a "very competitive bid" even with "today's vast economic uncertainties" but that BCS officials weren't satisfied.

Fox had a four-year, $320 million deal to broadcast the BCS games from 2007-10.

ESPN is now in prime position to get the bowl games, and has previously met with BCS officials. The cable network's broadcast partner ABC already has the rights to the Rose Bowl.

Before Fox snagged the current deal ABC held the rights since 1998, when college football's major conferences implemented the system to crown a national champion.

Whole Article

This is all official now. Not sure what the worry would be; Fox's BCS coverage has consistently been subpar, since the guys broadcasting generally haven't been following the college season all year the way ESPN's usual crew would. I'd much rather have Herbstreit/Musberger doing these than whomever Fox drags out every January.

Will Muschamp has been named 'head coach in waiting' to Mack Brown.

Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been named head football coach-in-waiting to eventually replace Mack Brown at the University of Texas, athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday.

“We have decided to build our future from the inside,” Dodds said.

Dodds said Muschamp will make $900,000 annually beginning Jan. 1 and contract details will be finalized at a later date.

“We’re looking at our future, and he will be our future,” Dodds said.

The single best thing about this deal might be that we will never have to hear the idiots on Fox's NFL studio team discussing college football again.

I agree with this. While I didn't mind the FOX coverage of BCS games, and they certainly weren't responsible for anything as nakedly awful as "What do you think of Britney Spears?" (which was on ESPN, you'll recall), it'll be nice to have that whole tacked-on college football segment off of their pre-game stuff on Sundays. Barry Switzer can fade back into obscurity.

Will Muschamp has been named 'head coach in waiting' to Mack Brown.

I hate that stuff. Why not just say "he's a badass defensive coordinator so we're going to pay him a shit ton of money to keep doing the job"? Does the "ooooohhh he's our head coach in waiting" ploy really deter schools like Clemson or Tennessee from pursuing him? I mean, if there's an actual contract where "you will be the next head coach of the University of Texas Football Longhorns" is written out, so be it, but that seems like an awful silly assurance to take when Mack Brown is currently fielding his best team since the national championship and keeping the team a perennial power.

Yeah, but Brown is only 57 and one of the top coaches in college football. Is Muschamp really going to wait around for 5 or 6 years until Brown decides to go somewhere else, if then?

The worry with this is the talk that was brought up in last week's thread...

Does ESPN now take the Orange / Sugar / Fiesta / Nat'l Title game and leave the Rose on ABC, or does it take the four bowls to ESPN and "graciously" allow us non-cable viewers to see the Title game...

The worry with this is the talk that was brought up in last week's thread...

Does ESPN now take the Orange / Sugar / Fiesta / Nat'l Title game and leave the Rose on ABC, or does it take the four bowls to ESPN and "graciously" allow us non-cable viewers to see the Title game...

The plan is to move everything to ESPN including the MNC game. It should be noted the Rose Bowl negotiates their own separate t.v. deal from the BCS and they may be unwilling to have their game moved off of ABC. Really what we're seeing is the continuing trend of moving sports off of network television. ABC in particular seems to want no part of sports anymore hence why they closed down ABC Sports a couple of years of ago and handed all their production over to ESPN.

One other note this year will be the last MNC game on Fox since the Rose Bowl is the site of next year's MNC game so it was already slated to be shown on ABC.

There's still lots of sports on network TV. Just a lot more of the "niche" sports that are becoming popular in the mainstream this decade, like NASCAR.

Ball State at CMU now, I've been anticipating this game, we'll see how it goes and if BSU is for real or not.

I hope the 2nd half is as good as the 1st. This game has lived up to the hype so far.

Interesting read on a very improbable but interesting BCS scenario:

Given the current standings, this is the worst possible outcome:

Oklahoma beats Texas Tech, 49-47 in one of the greatest games in history.

Florida loses at Florida State on Nov. 29.

On championship Saturday the BCS Standings are 1) Alabama, 2) Texas, 3) Oklahoma, 4) Texas Tech, 5) Southern Cal, 6) Florida

Florida beats No. 1 Alabama in the SEC championship game.

No. 2 Texas (11-1) loses to Missouri in the Big 12 championship game.

Texas Tech (11-1) and Oklahoma (11-1), two teams that didn’t even win their division, finish 1-2 and advance to the BCS championship game. The human polls try to avoid a rematch and vote Southern Cal (11-1) No. 2 but the computers drop the Trojans into the No. 3 spot in the final rankings because of a weak schedule.

Missouri (11-2) is the Big 12 champion but, under BCS rules, only two teams from any one conference can play in a BCS game. Texas Tech and Oklahoma are already in the BCS title game. What does the BCS do? There is nothing in the bylaws to account for this scenario. Do they invoke an emergency change? Will one of the Big 12 teams get left out? Does President elect Obama invoke an eight-team playoff by executive order? The next three weeks could really be fun.