TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

I need to vent about Sarah Palin.

I need to vent my frustrations specifically about the governor of our "largest" state and her complete inability to go away and stop getting on my nerves.

She's been on TV pretty much non-stop since she lost over 10 days ago.

For example...

This is the woman who, in perfect seriousness, tried to argue that because Vladimir Putin's plane flew over her state on his way to the U.S. (wouldn't it make more sense to travel from Moscow to Washington D.C. across the Atlantic Ocean?), she had special insight into U.S. foriegn relations.

Are we really this news-starved in this country that we've made this nitwit a permanent member of the political establishment?

I understand her appeal, though. She appeals to 2 types of people:

1. People who have no real idea what it is the president really does, and thus are convinced ANYONE can do the job, therefore, they just want someone they can relate to in office.

2. Conservative ideologues who will support anyone who takes up their mantle, believing that person will go along with whatever policies go along with their perspective.

Both of these mindsets are dead wrong, as disproven by the last 8 years.

Someone, please, convince me I'm wrong about her and explain what value she brings to national politics.

You forgot the all important 3rd group who want to bang her.

Personally, she scares the shit out of me. Because she is _so_ out of the loop (as am I, but I'm not a national political figure) when it comes to knowing whats going on.

Guest Israeli Mixed Wrestling
I need to vent about Sarah Palin.

Understandable, since you'd been letting it build up all summer.

This is the woman who, in perfect seriousness, tried to argue that because Vladimir Putin's plane flew over her state on his way to the U.S. (wouldn't it make more sense to travel from Moscow to Washington D.C. across the Atlantic Ocean?), she had special insight into U.S. foriegn relations.

Probably not. A lot of Europe to US flights go over the north pole (and some probably graze Alaskan airspace) because it's actually the shortest path. Remember the earth is more or less a sphere, so you have to think of flight paths relative to a globe as opposed to a flat map.

Otherwise, I agree. Palin should go away forever, but she gives news outlets a lot to talk about, so I'm not counting on it.

Probably not. A lot of Europe to US flights go over the north pole (and some probably graze Alaskan airspace) because it's actually the shortest path. Remember the earth is more or less a sphere, so you have to think of flight paths relative to a globe as opposed to a flat map.

But look at how far apart Washington D.C. and Alaska are. Keep in mind that the part of Russia where Moscow is, and the part of Russia that is near Alaska, are on opposite sides of a very large continent. You wouldn't go near Alaska to get to Washington D.C. from Moscow (even if you full over the North Pole to do it).

primequ.gif

azimuthalprojection.jpg

What the fuck's even being argued here.

Jerk hates women and Marvin's retarded. So nothing new really.

Ok, here goes...

Here's her quote.

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008 (Watch video clip)

You really think she meant Putin, as in, the guy himself? If so, wow.

Most everything that comes out of her mouth is nonsense, but really now, she obviously meant the way in which Russian planes skirt Alaskan airspace when on missions. And no, such incidents give her no foreign policy experience. Anyhow...

All flights from Moscow to the lower 48 are trans-Atlantic. Flights from Moscow to Anchorage and flights from Moscow to DC are about 500 miles apart in length or so. Needless to say, there's no reason to go to or anywhere near Alaska.

The only way in which a Russian flight (such as one of Putin's flights, but she wasn't even talking about Putin's flights in a literal sense, so why am I even posting this) to the lower 48 could've went through Alaska is if a flight was taken from Vladivostok with Seoul used as a connecting flight. And even then, I really doubt it. I'm not going to get into an argument about a misunderstanding over a clusterfuck of an answer which was given to Couric, I'm stating what's what and that's what.

Marvin wants her to be our next president.

Not happening. Thankfully.

Guest Czecherbear

I'm just glad Y2Jerk has finally gotten around to some form of Sarah Palin catharsis.

I'm stating what's what and that's what.

w'bam.

Ok, here goes...

Here's her quote.

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008 (Watch video clip)

You really think she meant Putin, as in, the guy himself? If so, wow.

And you didn't? Wow.

Yes, I literally think she meant Vladimir Putin. Why? Because that's what she fucking said.

"Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America." Putin isn't a euphemism for the Russian military, and she wasn't inventing a new metaphor.

Sarah Palin is eerily similar to the Obama of the right. Yes, she is a less intelligent version but the stuff we've heard from the McCain staff is far from believable. Palin can draw huge, passionate crowds (and, since a string of embarassments, the energy has been positive) and we have all seen what this ability can be parleyed into. I'm not saying that she's as smart as Obama but she is as charismatic and just as good a politician. There is nobody else in the Republican party that can draw the kind of crowds that Palin can.

She didn't Quayle or Edwards her debate. She has four years to make up for the Couric interview and the shopping spree. And, sometime before '12, she'll have a successful book ghostwritten for her.

Her main problem is that her positions on social issues is so far away from the middle that she's not going to be able to excite anyone BUT the GOP base. For all that's been said about her getting them fired up...it takes more than getting the people who were going to vote republican anyway to win an election.

Sarah Palin is eerily similar to the Obama of the right. Yes, she is a less intelligent version but the stuff we've heard from the McCain staff is far from believable. Palin can draw huge, passionate crowds (and, since a string of embarassments, the energy has been positive) and we have all seen what this ability can be parleyed into. I'm not saying that she's as smart as Obama but she is as charismatic and just as good a politician. There is nobody else in the Republican party that can draw the kind of crowds that Palin can.

She didn't Quayle or Edwards her debate. She has four years to make up for the Couric interview and the shopping spree. And, sometime before '12, she'll have a successful book ghostwritten for her.

She's such a "good politician" that 59% of the public thinks she unqualified to be president, and she and inspires passion in people with innuendo that her opponent is a terrorist.

Obama inspires us to believe in our country. Palin tears people down for not being "real" Americans. They are nothing alike.

I avoided my usual Palin rant....but I agree with pretty much anyone saying that her entire campaign (notice I didn't mention McCain) served to try and divide the country through hate and fear politics. I have nothing but contempt for that woman. She can take her "real" America nonsense and go back to Alaska for good.

Putin is a euphemism for the Russian military, actually, just as Saddam was for the Iraqi military, and Bush is for our military. For now Bush is, anyway. I'm sure you read progressive blogs and websites. Civilians die, it's Bush. Military messes up, it's Bush. Planes go where they aren't supposed to, it's Bush. So this apparently doesn't apply to Putin. I see. He's this leader which no traditional euphemisms apply to. What a transcendent leader. Kinda like Obama.

Are you dense? You actually trying to say that the name of the leader of a foreign power is not used as a euphemism for the leader of the military?

That's without getting into the fallacy of you proclaiming she meant Putin literally when, she still said, although stumbling over her words "where– where do they go?" Can Putin fly two planes at once? Does he fly fighter jets around the world? After all, you said she meant it literally, so goddamn, you must've thought she meant it in that way. =

Short of someone spelling it out letter-by-letter, I don't think you'll understand. Well, I did, and you probably still won't understand. So I suppose someone already has.

The funniest thing is that I can't stand this woman, but I see nonsense running rampant here, and have to defend against lies and falsehoods. Because, you know, that's only fair, and seeing as nobody else likes to argue with you because it's a gigantic waste of time. Seeing as you'll debate as hard as Mike, even in the face of the truth...I guess I must, because nobody else will.

She's such a "good politician" that 59% of the public thinks she unqualified to be president, and she and inspires passion in people with innuendo that her opponent is a terrorist.

Obama inspires us to believe in our country. Palin tears people down for not being "real" Americans. They are nothing alike.

My God jerk, I like Obama as much as the next left leaning guy, but you really need to move on against her. She's gone. She's not the VP candidate anymore. Give it up already. Also, if your going to suck up to Obama, you should do that here.

Sarah Palin appeals to extreme social conservatives, and then the males that want to bang her that don't necessarily care or pay attention to the actual issues, and then there is the moderate republican base who know damn well she is an embarassment, but will jump on the bandwagon if it gives a chance to put an ® in a position of power. Even I could understand her initial "wha wha wha....Who is that?" appeal, but once that wore off.....no.

I think Jerk's frustration should be on the media and not Palin. I mean sure, Palin sure as hell seems to be willing to do a lot of speaking now that election time is over, but I blame the media for showing up to air the shit. The media is deeming her important enough for coverage. That is their fault not hers.

Moreover, truth be told, the way people say things like this

Obama inspires us to believe in our country.

and make art like this

obama420.jpg

doesn't inspire me to believe in my country, but honestly, it fucking freaks me out. I thought we were above this cult of personality type shit in the United States.

I hope he does well for the sake of our country, but the guy is just another politician for fuck's sake.

...blah blah blah, you're so dumb because you disagree with me, blah, blah, blah...

Keep the insults coming. And when I respond, you can threaten to ban me again.

That picture is so awesome for all the wrong reasons.

Jerk, the man has a point. Your position is kinda retarded. Does "Putin coming into our airspace" mean that she thinks he can fly?

I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and big BUTT and my BUTT smells and I like to kiss my own BUTT

Keep the insults coming. And when I respond, you can threaten to ban me again.

If you respond with an insult, I'll ignore you, because I've given you pretty good reason to insult me at will. I'd probably do the same if I couldn't think of anything else to say.

What would be nice is if you would take the sand out of your vagina and actually tell me how I'm incorrect. Unfortunately that probably isn't going to happen, because you can't tell me how I'm wrong.

Maybe she meant Putin the person, and maybe she meant Putin as a euphemism. Or maybe she meant Russia's current president, Dmitry Medvedev. Maybe she meant the talking bat from the cartoon version of Anastasia. WHO FUCKING CARES? It is just one, of many, many examples of how ignorant she is. There are plenty more I could have used.

You do realize that had someone not tried to argue with me that you might actually need to go through Russia to get from Moscow to Washington, D.C., the point would have been dropped after my first post, right?

But I'm the retard because I assumed a woman who is famous for not knowing what she's talking about, didn't know what she was talking about?