TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

I need to vent about Sarah Palin.

This is the woman who, in perfect seriousness, tried to argue that because Russian planes fly over her state on their way to the U.S., she has special insight into U.S. foriegn relations.

Fixed.

That should make 909 happy, but it doesn't make Palin any smarter, nor does it change my original point.

And if people are wondering why she's still getting under my skin, even though the election is over, I'd answer that by wondering why she's done more interviews and press conferences in the two weeks since the election than she did the entire time she was running. We hear more about her than we do the actual VP-elect, Joe Biden.

Maybe she meant Putin the person, and maybe she meant Putin as a euphemism. Or maybe she meant Russia's current president, Dmitry Medvedev. Maybe she meant the talking bat from the cartoon version of Anastasia. WHO FUCKING CARES? It is just one, of many, many examples of how ignorant she is. There are plenty more I could have used.

You do realize that had someone not tried to argue with me that you might actually need to go through Russia to get from Moscow to Washington, D.C., the point would have been dropped after my first post, right?

But I'm the retard because I assumed a woman who is famous for not knowing what she's talking about, didn't know what she was talking about?

I never called you a retard, and had been meaning to discuss that point from your first post since this morning. I just haven't had the time.

And I like the way you fixed that much better, because that's what it was, and it was retarded of her to say she had "foreign policy experience" based on that, or because Russian military planes mess around and sometimes cross the border by a bit.

Jerk, did you believe everything else that McCain operatives said during/after the campaign or just the bad stuff about Palin?

What the fuck's even being argued here.

I stay the fuck away from all cable news so I really haven't seen much of Palin aside from the usual late night talk show jokes.

Do I need clearance from Bob Barron to shut this thread?

I think he only rears his head if it's a banning. I brought my point of the MILF Crowd, this thread is dead to me now.

Jerk, did you believe everything else that McCain operatives said during/after the campaign or just the bad stuff about Palin?

My belief was that, like most rumors, it probably had a kernel of truth to it, but blown way out of proportion. Like maybe she slipped up during a debate prep at said "country" instead of "continent," wasn't sure for a second if NAFTA included both Mexico and Canada, or just one or the other, or some other innocent mistakes like that. You might remember, I actually defended some of her answers about what a VP does.

Pretty sure she's drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper there, too.

Anyway, I wish she would just go away. If the Republicans didn't really learn their lesson about her, I hope they do trot her out in 2012. Obama would beat her in a landslide. Just imagine an Obama/Palin debate.

Moreover, truth be told, the way people say things like this

Obama inspires us to believe in our country.

and make art like this

obama420.jpg

doesn't inspire me to believe in my country, but honestly, it fucking freaks me out. I thought we were above this cult of personality type shit in the United States.

I hope he does well for the sake of our country, but the guy is just another politician for fuck's sake.

My thought on that picture: even atheists need a savior, apparently.

And anyone trying to argue that the conservative supporters of Palin were less educated politically than Obama supporters need to take a look around. It was vogue to support Obama... everyone did it, even celebrities that have no idea what the hell is going on. I know SO many idiots that were supporting Obama. All they cared about was that it was cool and he would "change" things; they had no idea what his platform was. At least conservatives heard "lower taxes" and "gun rights" before they jumped on the Palin bandwagon; all Obama supporters heard was "change" and "hope," two nondescript items.

Just saying...

I hate those celebrities who have no idea what's going on!

John Legend, anyone? Will.i.am, if he counts as a celebrity? Just two examples...

Although, come to think of it: Heidi and Spencer from The Hills endorsed McCain. *sigh*

Although there are a good number of dumb celebrities, not all of them are idiots, and some actually do pay attention and follow politics and have a clue about what's going on. Of course pundits in this country like to put all celebrities in the same boat and say they are morons who should "shut up and <insert job here>" Unless of course the celebrity happens to be conservative, then they are courageous and intelligent, and honest etc etc etc.

And anyways, what qualifies someone to make a statement on something anyway? For President, yeah you need to be heavily qualified, but to state an opinion? Fuck anyone who says someone else can't speak their mind. Now, that doesn't mean we can't challenge or criticize what they say, but they can say whatever the hell they want to, basically.

Moreover, truth be told, the way people say things like this

Obama inspires us to believe in our country.

and make art like this

obama420.jpg

doesn't inspire me to believe in my country, but honestly, it fucking freaks me out. I thought we were above this cult of personality type shit in the United States.

I hope he does well for the sake of our country, but the guy is just another politician for fuck's sake.

My thought on that picture: even atheists need a savior, apparently.

Oh for fuck sakes...

Although there are a good number of dumb celebrities, not all of them are idiots, and some actually do pay attention and follow politics and have a clue about what's going on. Of course pundits in this country like to put all celebrities in the same boat and say they are morons who should "shut up and <insert job here>" Unless of course the celebrity happens to be conservative, then they are courageous and intelligent, and honest etc etc etc.

And anyways, what qualifies someone to make a statement on something anyway? For President, yeah you need to be heavily qualified, but to state an opinion? Fuck anyone who says someone else can't speak their mind. Now, that doesn't mean we can't challenge or criticize what they say, but they can say whatever the hell they want to, basically.

Personally, I don't care if Oprah tells people who she supports, or Tom Cruise comes out with his anti-medication rants, if only more people where rational people who could think for themselves. Someone mentioned the Cult of Personality earlier, and I think that's what the main negative of celebrities being overtly political is that too many people just go along with whatever Hollywood star is doing.

The same thing bothers me in Utah when people just follow along with what other Mormons are doing without looking at facts or thinking for themselves. I was horrified that people didn't know half of what Palin's policies where (rape kit thing, I'm looking at you) and were just voting Republican because everyone around them was.

In short, fuck group think... conservative or liberal.

Obviously I think Obama was the right choice here, but the whole thing about people embracing Obama so easily reminds me of the bible and Revelations. It'd be interesting if everything follows that prediction as it has begun to.

Matzo, you seriously think that many people vote based on what some celebrity thinks?

panthermatt, the plural of anecodote is not data.

Not alot but I do think that some groups of people do follow sheepishly after what the celebrities are doing. For example, in Brazil there's a television personality named Xuxa she hosts both a Saturday morning cartoon block for children, and then on Sunday afternoon a more adult centered talk show (basically all the kids who grew up watching her are now adults), she got pregnant and people told me they were trying to get pregnant to be like Xuxa.

Teens, women in their twenties... women in their fourties, just to be like a celeb.

I find people wandering around in the States that do the same thing to a point. They'll vote according to whatever group they've identified themselves as, and a small percent of people will follow a random celebrity. Not alot of people, but enough to be annoying.

Obviously I think Obama was the right choice here, but the whole thing about people embracing Obama so easily reminds me of the bible and Revelations. It'd be interesting if everything follows that prediction as it has begun to.

what

Matzo, you seriously think that many people vote based on what some celebrity thinks?

I bet ya there's a whole bunch of women who will vote for whoever Oprah tells them to.