TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

WWE Survivor Series - November 23, 2008

Well the mutual feeling on several message boards I frequent is that the show sucked and 90 percent of the people hated the ending. I can understand why Cena is champ again. I just wished the WWE had more logical booking. Was the Smackdown main event supposed to be no dq? I dont recall ever hearing anything about that.

As a one on one match, there is the possibility for a DQ. However, once Edge entered and made it a Triple Threat, there is no DQ. There are no DQ's in Triple Threat matches. Ever. That's why you were probably confused.

And the show wasn't bad. Remember, almost everyone on the internet hates John Cena. The show was good for a comination of the casual fan and "smark", and I enjoyed it. And honestly, a PPV or show isn't judged by how many people on a message board like or dislike it.

Spinner belt debuts tommorrow........... R.I.P. to the big gold belt.

The big gold belt was originally the design of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and I think its time for there to be a new design for the World Heavyweight Championship. The big gold belt design should've died when WCW did.

Cena has basically been chasing the world title (or WWE title) whenever he has been healthy over the last year they needed to pull the trigger. I think Batista v. Cena is the direction for WM building off of Summerslam. At this point you have Cena v. Jericho in December and then the build to WM starts. Batista needed to win the title a few weeks ago because he is borderline Luger at this point and needs to periodically pull out the big one. Jericho needed to win it back so they could save Cena v. Batista.

I like Jericho as much as the next guy and think this is the best run he has been on since 1998 but does anyone out there really think there is money in Cena chasing Jericho for the title?

Vickie's Offer to Cena

By: Lennie DiFino

November 23, 2008

BOSTON – Just moments ago following the aftermath that was Survivor Series, SmackDown! General Manager, Vickie Guerrero, approached John Cena. Guerrero offered up Edge's WWE title, the former Spinner belt, for Cena's World Heavyweight title.

Watch RAW tomorrow night to see what Cena will be sporting when he walks out for the first time as part of the Raw draft and new champion.

It was a mixed bag of a PPV tonight. On one hand most of the survivor matches went by almost too fast and gave the fans little time to invest in any of it, especially in the opener. But the vast majority of the show was essentially filler since it didn't really matter who went over and who jobbed, though personally I am bewildered at how pitiful they booked Batista's team to look. Batista's team in theory was a well oiled machine with a solid leader, yet they get down 4-1 to an Orton led team where the captain hated being there and the other guys hated him? Wouldn't it have made more sense for Orton's team to get down 4-1 and then he either takes out a few guys before losing to Batista or basically takes a walk and lives to fight another day?

I'm highly torn on the WWE title match. The HHH/Vlad portion of it was obviously quite horrible, but thinking on it now that might have been the point. As in the crowd was destined to be pissed that Jeff wasn't in it, so just have Kozlov go out and suck and use bearhugs for half of the match. I must admit once Edge got involved it was markout city though. Now there are several interesting things SD has going on: Did Edge orchestrate the attack on Jeff, and if so was anyone else (like Christian) involved? Is HHH going to be ultra pissed at Jeff for basically costing him the title? Is Kozlov pissed at not getting a fair 1 on 1 match? Have Vickie and Edge now patched things up and why? With one really killer angle tonight SD has become easily the more compelling show.

Cena winning the belt on the other hand....ugh. I don't get the point of putting it back on Jericho just to immediately job him to Cena. In fact I don't get why Cena even got a title shot in the first place since he had 1. been injured and 2. been jobbing his ass off prior to injury. The way the match was done it almost seemed like it was building to an HBK/Owen finish with Cena passing out from the neck injury.

SD is easily the more interesting show after tonight since there are so many ways this can go, but Raw? There's just nothing compelling about Cena with the belt again. I don't care about seeing him vs. Orton again. I might have cared about him vs. Batista had they not blown their load at SummerSlam and done it with zero build. They probably still will do that match at WM, but so what? It will be obvious that Cena will beat Batista this time, so they probably need to add someone to it (I can't believe I'm saying this but....Orton). And what does Jericho do now unless he resumes feuding with Michaels?

3 hour PPV to take a time machine back to Edge and Cena as the brands champs ?

You think they would have learned about not shoving Cena down peoples throats.

Nope welcome back here is the belt.

Try changing things up for gods sake.

Give Hardy a title run.

So what if he fuks up again. Build your very next PPV around a title tourney.

Or give the belt to the person that wins the Rumble.

I think there is less of a chance of Hardy getting stoned with the belt than without it.

Triple hulkster needs to learn jobs wont kill you.

Ask Flair or Rhodes.

Vickie's Offer to Cena

By: Lennie DiFino

November 23, 2008

BOSTON – Just moments ago following the aftermath that was Survivor Series, SmackDown! General Manager, Vickie Guerrero, approached John Cena. Guerrero offered up Edge's WWE title, the former Spinner belt, for Cena's World Heavyweight title.

Watch RAW tomorrow night to see what Cena will be sporting when he walks out for the first time as part of the Raw draft and new champion.

WTF? They're switching belts? You gotta be kidding me.

Overall, I thought that was an ok, certainly memorable show. The Cena win was to be expected, and wouldn't at all be surprised to see Cena lose it quickly, possibly back to Jericho or Batista. The match itself was pretty heatless up until halfway through, and started to pick up from there. Both guys worked pretty hard and gave a good show.

The Edge win worked for me, thank god for all of the chaos at the end of that match or else it would have easily been worst ppv big match of the year. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to see that finish overturned, also. Since Hardly was out there, throwing chairshots, shouldn't it have been a DQ, meaning HHH would retain? Edge gettting swerved back out of the title, to me, makes a much better story than HHH chasing (might as well keep the belt on him for now), and regardless, Hardy will still be in the hunt, as well as Kozlov (who lost a ton of momentum tonight in how he worked that match so ridiculously slow and mundane, horrible stuff). I think we will eventually get to Edge/Hardy/HHH at WrestleMania XXV, possibly. Taker/HHH is still also a strong possibility.

The rest of the show was something else, at times absurd, other times solid, and in a few areas, really damn good. Saw some negative remarks on the casket match, but I didn't think it was all too bad. Much more creatively laid out than any other casket match I've seen before.

somehow i can't find the title switch news on wwe.com.

I think someone is playin a rib, since that news item mentions Cena returning to "the Raw draft"

Jericho has been the MVP of RAW.

But they wont give him a chance to run with the belt and get more heat.

He could be Flair all over again.

Jericho's story this year seems to be making back his losses with pulling out a win in the rematch (trend with the Michaels and Batista programs for sure) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the title back in that rumored triple threat match for the next ppv with Cena/Batista/Jericho.

Edge's beard looks disgusting. He must shave that shit off. I think the the Spinner belt really needs to be changed back now since Cena is howlding another World title and unless they swap it around or some gay faggot shit. The card was quite boring actually. What would have been cool is if Vickie said, the third man is.... and then Jeff hardy walks out, bandage on head dragging with a bloodied carcass of Edge with a steel chair in the other hand, drops Edge at Vickie's feet, grabs the microphone and says JEFF HARDY. Then he runs down to the ring with the chair, lays out both Trips and Kozlov and Swantons onto Kozlov 1 2 3 crowd goes nuts Hardy wins the title and then he picks up the microphone, smacking a groggy Trips as he wakes up with the chair again. He then says "Vickie, you tried to send Edge to take me out. Sorry Vickie, Nobody stands between Jeff Hardy and the WWE title" That would be a cool storyline.

Edge's beard looks disgusting. He must shave that shit off. I think the the Spinner belt really needs to be changed back now since Cena is howlding another World title and unless they swap it around or some gay faggot shit. The card was quite boring actually. What would have been cool is if Vickie said, the third man is.... and then Jeff hardy walks out, bandage on head dragging with a bloodied carcass of Edge with a steel chair in the other hand, drops Edge at Vickie's feet, grabs the microphone and says JEFF HARDY. Then he runs down to the ring with the chair, lays out both Trips and Kozlov and Swantons onto Kozlov 1 2 3 crowd goes nuts Hardy wins the title and then he picks up the microphone, smacking a groggy Trips as he wakes up with the chair again. He then says "Vickie, you tried to send Edge to take me out. Sorry Vickie, Nobody stands between Jeff Hardy and the WWE title" That would be a cool storyline.

Would have been great but would have totally overshadowed the Cena win. If/when Hardy gets the belt, it won't be that easy and out of the blue.

If anything, I hope WWE allows Edge to carry the Rated-R Spinner now that he's WWE Champion again. Sad thing, we're probably never going to see the pre-Spinner belt again. Joy upon joys, I can't wait for Cena to come out tomorrow with some lame spinning World title.

So I got back from the show a while back. I thought it was a really entertaining show from top to bottom, minus bogus eliminations (Regal, MVP... I'm looking at you). Even though HHH vs. Kozlov sucked, the crowd was great throughout, and that finish was insane. I don't know how it came off on TV, but Edge's entrance, Jeff's entrance, and Edge winning was some of the loudest cheering I've ever heard at a live event. I was disappointed by lack of dueling chants during Cena-Jericho, but it was Cena's hometown, so I'm not that surprised.

How did the crowd sound the rest of the night? We sounded pretty loud throughout, but I know it sometimes is different on TV.

I read the show was bad enough to make a fan of 22 years quit watching WWE forever. I'm not sure what show he watched though, since there have been worse WWE PPVs in the last 2 months (looking at you, Unforgiven). I ordered the show for the two non-Diva elimination matches and the title bouts, and I was happy with those, so good enough for me.

Maybe I was being too forgiving, but HHH/Kozlov seemed no better or worse than HHH vs. Not that great opponent. Maybe people were spoiled on the Hardy matches? I know especially with Meltzer, he can give or remove upwards of **1/2 just based on crowd reactions, and obviously people were pissed off and the match was never given a chance. WWE brought that upon themselves though.

Blue ropes? Again? They need to stop making their PPV logos like this. I'm sick of fucking blue ropes.

No lie, as soon as I saw they were using blue ropes I said to myself "zio is going to complain about the rope colour". The blue matched the logo and those electric ghosts they were using in the match graphics, so it made sense (though I see you were aware of that and just don't like blue). They really need to come up with a "PPV colour" though. I like SNME White/Silver myself. I also guarantee we are the only two people who care about this.

I acutally do mind it. I like the ECW silve ropes a lot, but I wouldn't mind white or another fresher colour. I would mark out if they had pink ropes. Also who's the gimmick poster that kept calling Trips Big Nose? His nose isn'tthat big.

I just finished a stream of the PPV replay. I laughed at Jerry Lawler nutting his pants over "THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT 2 WORLD TITLES HAVE EVER CHANGED HANDS AT SURVIVOR SERIES!". How quickly we forget Survivor Series 2002.

I just want to officially say on public record that YKRG is on notice. Someone who has been here for one day being fully aware of Bob's Regal fandom? I don't think so.

I have my eye on you.

Moving on, I wish Striker could do more commentary. He's so great! I liked it when he said R-Truth was making a 'Killings' in the ring. That didn't make a lot of sense grammatically, but I enjoyed it.

Just got back from the show. I'm going to bed so I'll post my pre-show thoughts in the morning, but I'd just like to bring this up:

If you ignore Regal's elimination, every black wrestler was eliminated before any of his white teammates. MVP went first on his team, Cryme Tyme were the only two eliminated on their team, Kofi and R-Truth went first on their team, and Shelton and Henry were eliminated before their team won.

How many times are they going to swerve guys advertised in the main event out of the match for no reason? We saw it with Sabu, CM Punk and now Hardy.

How many times are they going to swerve guys advertised in the main event out of the match for no reason? We saw it with Sabu, CM Punk and now Hardy.

Well, at least with Sabu and Punk, there was a 2 year difference.

I actually liked the show. I thought it was a throwback to when I was a kid and just watched and didn't try to analyze everything. I liked all the elimination matches, I thought they had a nice flow. I especially loved the finish to the Michaels/JBL team match. I had to analyze the woman's match because a lot of them have gotten better but with Maryse pre-bumping all of Mickie's clotheslines, Maria's lack of in ring talent, and Candice still trying to be Trish Stratus but failing repeatedly and is looking like Ahmed Johnson when it comes to injuries, I had to scoff at it somewhat.

I had no real problem with HHH/Koslov. I never expected them to work a bunch of spots. Koslov isn't a technical marvel, and it was smart to slow the match down. Plus it's his style, someone obviously has a Fedor Emilienko fetish with him and wants him to be a methodical, Sambo fighter, who's cool under pressure. I thought Hardy was going to be the one to appear later once I heard about the "injury," and was a bit disappointed when they brought Edge back in that capacity. What was the point of changing Hardy's attitiude and fighting his way into the title match, only to CM Punk him a few days later?

I fully expected Stephanie McMahon to cost Cena the match against Jericho after their conversation on Raw, but I guess I was wrong. I think that between Batista and Cena, one of them should turn heel to freshen one of them up a bit,but that won't happen anytime soon. They sell way too much merchandise and it would risk alienating the kid viewers that they want.

I have come to realize that the only way I can enjoy wrestling again is to leave my brain out of it and just watch it. I tend to miss the days when I could just watch and have no idea who is booking or if a spot was blown or care how often a title changes hands. Watching WWE is too much of a habit for me to just stop, I've been watching it for over 20 years now, but I could never enjoy it now if I don't just look at it for what it is, not what I think it should be. If I want it my way, I should just stop watching because obviously it isn't going to happen anytime soon. It's not written for my age group anymore.

Now I see how older fans felt in the early-mid '90s. I used to never understand why my older family members stopped watching, I thought it was great lol.