TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

WWE Survivor Series - November 23, 2008

Well the mutual feeling on several message boards I frequent is that the show sucked and 90 percent of the people hated the ending. I can understand why Cena is champ again. I just wished the WWE had more logical booking. Was the Smackdown main event supposed to be no dq? I dont recall ever hearing anything about that.

As a one on one match, there is the possibility for a DQ. However, once Edge entered and made it a Triple Threat, there is no DQ. There are no DQ's in Triple Threat matches. Ever. That's why you were probably confused.

I have never recalled them making a point that triple threat matches are always no DQ as a stipulation.

Jeff, you clumsy fool.

I for some reason read this while hearing Frank Welker's Megatron voice. Its quite hilarious.

Just thought I'd share this in my beloved drunkeness.

To MillenniumMan831:

:headbang:

Well the mutual feeling on several message boards I frequent is that the show sucked and 90 percent of the people hated the ending. I can understand why Cena is champ again. I just wished the WWE had more logical booking. Was the Smackdown main event supposed to be no dq? I dont recall ever hearing anything about that.

As a one on one match, there is the possibility for a DQ. However, once Edge entered and made it a Triple Threat, there is no DQ. There are no DQ's in Triple Threat matches. Ever. That's why you were probably confused.

I have never recalled them making a point that triple threat matches are always no DQ as a stipulation.

They did a long time ago. Same thing with no count out.

If one guy shoves the referee, he gets disqualified...if he gets himself counted out, he loses by (obviously) countout...but who won the match, there are two opponents. They can't both win, especially in the case of title matches (which most of the first triple threat matches were), so the match as a whole was declared noDQ/noCO.

I believe Rock once got himself either counted out or DQ'd in a triple threat match on Raw against X-Pac and HHH. I don't remember exact details but I guess one could point to that as being the origin story for the triple threat having no DQs or count outs - the referee did not know who to declare the winner.

That's why I prefer the old Triangle Matches/Three Way Dance matches

Even if one person is eliminated by a count-out, that leaves the other two combatants to carry on with the match.

Except that's never happened in WWE. And in ECW, there were no countouts or DQ's. Maybe Ring of Honor did that.

Well...if you want to be technical...there was a 3 Way Dance under the WWE banner for ECW back at ONS 2005...

I just want to officially say on public record that YKRG is on notice. Someone who has been here for one day being fully aware of Bob's Regal fandom? I don't think so.

I have my eye on you.

He should be on notice for speaking in nothing but smark clichés. He's not the only one either. We get it, Cena's finisher isn't something mind-blowing and he's being pushed over everybody and HHH has a big nose and every show sucks. Welcome to three years ago.

That's why I prefer the old Triangle Matches/Three Way Dance matches

Even if one person is eliminated by a count-out, that leaves the other two combatants to carry on with the match.

It makes more sense to do a three way dance at Survivor Series.

Ok, so now my thoughts on the show:

Team HBK vs. Team JBL

This was your average Survivor Series match. I didn't like the quick eliminations of JTG, MVP (though I knew he'd go first on his team), and Kane but atleast the match slowed down after that. Miz's finisher isn't exactly believable on a guy the size of Shad but anything to get him and Morrison more over is a plus. I really liked that Morrison was the last member of his team, because I was scared that he would be one of the first to go. I wish he could've eliminated Rey before losing to HBK, but no biggie.

Raw Divas vs. Smackdown Divas

Well, the right woman survived. The match wasn't anything great, but I absolutely love that fact that Maryse not only was the last diva on her team, but scored three of the four eliminations for them. She's not fantastic in the ring, but she's my favorite diva in the company right now.

Undertaker vs. Big Show

The explosion at the top of the ramp scared the shit out of me. The match was fine from what I can remember, and the ending was original, so all around it was a decent match.

Team Orton vs. Team Batista

Regal's elimination was bogus. After that, it was the best of the three elimination matches last night. I was dreading Batista running through all four remaining members of Team Orton, so the ending pleased me. I'm glad they had Cody survive along with Orton, and the RKO to Batista got a huge pop.

Triple H vs. Vladimir Koslov (vs. Edge)

Guys, they made the match terrible ON PURPOSE. They wanted to make the crowd scream for Hardy, and we did. When Vickie came out I knew that it would be Edge, not Jeff, in the match. The pop when she said "he's here!" was big, but I think the pop when Edge's music hit was just as big. It's so good to see someone other than Triple H as champion on Smackdown. Hardy's return was cool, but if he was good enough to do the run-in, why wasn't he good enough to compete? (in kayfabe)

Chris Jericho vs John Cena

After Edge won, I knew Cena would walk out with the belt so I just had to deal with it. The crowd went crazy for him as my friend and I just kind of sat there. It was an entertaining match and the guys in front of us were rooting for Jericho too, so it was still fun knowing what the outcome would be.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable show. Edge's return was the highlight for me. The guy behind us was hilarious..he kept singing Orton's theme song at random points throughout the night. Then when Edge won he ran down to my friend who was wearing an Edge shirt and started jumping on him and screaming for Edge. Surprisingly, this guy (old enough to buy alcohol) was a HUGE Cena fan, so when Cena won he ended up falling down the stairs and spilling beer all over his buddy.

I marked like CRAZY for Edge! Hell yes!! I couldn't even focus on Jericho/Cena because I was still thinking about the swerve.

Brilliant! Edge rules!!!

I really enjoyed the show aside from the casket match being boring and the WWE Title match being booked to suck on purpose(I really hate shit like that). Cena/Jericho was boss and all the tag matches got good time to boot, so consider me satisfied.

Surprisingly, this guy (old enough to buy alcohol) was a HUGE Cena fan, so when Cena won he ended up falling down the stairs and spilling beer all over his buddy.

Are you talking about adults in general, or just that specific guy?

Triple H vs. Vladimir Koslov (vs. Edge)

Guys, they made the match terrible ON PURPOSE. They wanted to make the crowd scream for Hardy, and we did. When Vickie came out I knew that it would be Edge, not Jeff, in the match. The pop when she said "he's here!" was big, but I think the pop when Edge's music hit was just as big. It's so good to see someone other than Triple H as champion on Smackdown. Hardy's return was cool, but if he was good enough to do the run-in, why wasn't he good enough to compete? (in kayfabe)

My guess is because they wanted to continue with the 'Hardy is going for the title!' storyline without jobbing him out. He earned his place in the title match, but oh no! Edge screwed him! (most likely he was the one who knocked him out). So now Hardy has a reason to go after Edge, and he has the title. It's a perfect feud setup. Maybe this culminates in Hardy winning it at Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania.

I really enjoyed the show aside from the casket match being boring and the WWE Title match being booked to suck on purpose(I really hate shit like that). Cena/Jericho was boss and all the tag matches got good time to boot, so consider me satisfied.

Surprisingly, this guy (old enough to buy alcohol) was a HUGE Cena fan, so when Cena won he ended up falling down the stairs and spilling beer all over his buddy.

Adults in general. You may recall Cena spray-painting the word "poopy" on JBL's limo shortly before he got injured. I don't see how any adult could like Cena as much as this guy did.

(Don't get me wrong, I love what Cena does for the company and I hope he's around for a long time to come. I just hate his character.)

Wwe is using title changes to boost television ratings these days it seems. I was fine with the Cena win, though I was obviously pulling for Jericho to win just to set-up a rematch. If Cena's PPV return wasn't in Boston I think Jericho would have had a chance at holding on to the title.

I don't understand the Hardy decisions at all, but am hoping they're setting up for his big win at WM. He does have two strikes, so the wwe is right to be wary. But if having two strikes means you'll never be champion, then why bother keeping him around. If Christian is coming back to the wwe, I think having a WM mainevent feud centered around The Hardyz and Edge and Christian could be compelling shit.

Of course where does that leave HHH? Have him go after Undertakers Streak. The backstage politicking for that match would be worthy of a documentary.

Adults in general. You may recall Cena spray-painting the word "poopy" on JBL's limo shortly before he got injured. I don't see how any adult could like Cena as much as this guy did.

(Don't get me wrong, I love what Cena does for the company and I hope he's around for a long time to come. I just hate his character.)

Have you read Jericho's book? He uses "poop" a shit-ton in there and admits to being a gigantic dork(hell, the HBK feud this year was probably the first time he was booked to be serious in any sort of way since he started working in WCW).

Hell, I'm a huge Cena fan, I'm 28, and I know quite a few others who are as well. Why people on the net give a shit about who he's marketed towards amazes me.

I marked like CRAZY for Edge! Hell yes!! I couldn't even focus on Jericho/Cena because I was still thinking about the swerve.

Brilliant! Edge rules!!!

Same here.. that was a great moment, IMO. When Vickie came out, and was joyfully shouting "he's here!" my buddy and I knew it had to be Edge and not Hardy. And that Grizzly beard he has just made him look bat-shit insane. I really like how the title scene on SD is shaping up.. I may have to actually watch the show now, lol.

Have you read Jericho's book? He uses "poop" a shit-ton in there and admits to being a gigantic dork(hell, the HBK feud this year was probably the first time he was booked to be serious in any sort of way since he started working in WCW).

Hell, I'm a huge Cena fan, I'm 28, and I know quite a few others who are as well. Why people on the net give a shit about who he's marketed towards amazes me.

I'm 30+, and Cena is 1 of my top 5 favorite guys in the company.

We've seen titles hotshotted for television ratings, but is Cena's win the first title shot hotshotted because of tanking stock price? There was a paint by numbers return story arc that could have played out all the way to Wrestlemania where Cena was unsure of himself, unwilling to go all out out of fear of hurting himself again.

TCD, that could've been such a great storyline. Heck (HECK!), if they played it off just right with his frustration, they could have even had it lead to a huge heel turn for the character.

TCD, that could've been such a great storyline. Heck, if they played it off just right with his frustration, they could have even had it lead to a huge heel turn for the character.

Not a complete heel turn, but one where he starts snapping at fans who heckle him, maybe making demands on management for special treatment given all he does for the wwe and maybe starts cheating to win big matches to stay in the ME scene (but will feel guilty about it). It's wouldn't be a conscious heel turn, but more one out of doubt/depression and the demands of the business while being scared to hurting himself. It could have culminated at WM25 where Cena says he can't keep living like he is and if he can't win the title cleanly at WM he'll retire and move on. HBK could even be involved in the storyline, building off of his Flair match from last year.

FWIW, here's the reason why Regal was eliminated so quickly.

The reason William Regal was eliminated so quickly last night because he was pretty sick with either the flu or a bad cold, so the decision was made to just get him in and out ASAP. A few talents picked up colds on the most recent European tour.

-- PWInsider

TCD, that could've been such a great storyline. Heck, if they played it off just right with his frustration, they could have even had it lead to a huge heel turn for the character.

Not a complete heel turn, but one where he starts snapping at fans who heckle him, maybe making demands on management for special treatment given all he does for the wwe and maybe starts cheating to win big matches to stay in the ME scene (but will feel guilty about it). It's wouldn't be a conscious heel turn, but more one out of doubt/depression and the demands of the business while being scared to hurting himself. It could have culminated at WM25 where Cena says he can't keep living like he is and if he can't win the title cleanly at WM he'll retire and move on. HBK could even be involved in the storyline, building off of his Flair match from last year.

But that would require thought, something the writers don't have.

Really, Vince needs to hire some of the people from this board instead of Hollywood sitcom writers.

Is it just me, or did Edge mildly resemble Zakk Wylde as he was heading the ring with his vest, shaggy beard, and long hair?

That's exactly what I thought when he first came out from the entrance.

But that would require thought, something the writers don't have.

Really, Vince needs to hire some of the people from this board instead of Hollywood sitcom writers.

You forgot Hollywood actors as well. You should be blaming Freddie Prinze Jr for this one.