TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

List Things That Bother You

Being touched on the neck. I can handle it in an intimate situation, but if I see a hand coming for my neck at any other time, I freak out.

The word "panties." Not the object itself—which I like a good deal!—but the word. I can type it and read it just fine, but I loathe hearing it said out loud.

It should be clarified that this is not a thread for things that make you angry. It is a thread for things that bother/upset/disturb you. For instance, I used to live with a guy who hated the sound styrofoam made when rubbed. Another guy, upon finding this out, started squeezing a styrofoam cup over and over again in his presence. They nearly came to blows.

I'll never try hitting anyone who says "panties" in front of me, but I think you get the idea.

I have weird thing about being touched. I enjoy all of the obvious sexual touching stuff and am even down for some full-on bro hugs, but being grazed makes my skin crawl and agitates the shit out of me. I avoid crowds for this reason.

Seeds bug me. In fact, seeing any large amount of any tiny object makes me feel physically ill. I'd sometimes go pale and have to steady myself against something when I'd see all of the seeds in the pickle container when I worked in food service.

People who you don't know that call you and start off the call with "Hi, how are you today?". Immediately puts me on alert that they're trying to sell me something.

Also, when solicitors somehow make their way into my building. If I saw somebody let one in I'd snitch like crazy to the landlord.

Eye contact.

This is pretty funny. I'm terrible about making eye contact with people, even if we're having a fairly intimate conversation. I don't fixate on any other object, but rather just scan the room over and over again. Some people don't think anything of it, but some people will think I'm a sociopath or have some sort of neurological disorder.

A story: I used to work in a book store. Once, while talking to the guy working the register, the guy's arm suddenly shot out and reached for my neck. He was trying to eliminate a piece of fuzz there, but his movement was so quick and unexpected that, even though I got out of his reach in time, the experience horrified me so much that I was shaking, actually fucking trembling for seconds afterward. Upon recovering, I realized I may've insulted the guy, especially since he was gay and he might've taken my abject terror for me being afraid of such innocuous physical contact with him because of it. That wasn't the case, so I told him about my neck-issue. I'm not sure if he believed me.

The cracking of joints. It distracts and bothers me more than any other minor bodily action. A close friend of mine probably cracks various knuckles, vertebrae, and ankles no less than 300-400 times a day, which can make hanging out a brain-racking experience now and then.

People sipping their drink loudly. My brother did this all the time when I was a kid.

People who can't tell the difference between a slash ( / ) and a backslash ( \ ). I first noticed this in high school, people reading web addresses as "yahoo dot com backlash mail..." and I thought, well that's interesting. Then I got to college and realized that people were making the same mistake. That perplexed me because with my high school and college being in different regions of PA, that meant obviously this was a widespread phenomenon. The thing that bothers me isn't so much that some people are making this mistake, because I can see the confusion. It's that EVERYONE, I mean every single person who has ever had to describe out loud the punctuation mark they see before their eyes, since I was 17 years old, calls it a backslash. I have NEVER met anyone my own age who calls it anything but a backslash and that means that I AM THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. The worst was that a couple of months ago, during one of our Secret Life chats, this actually made it into a freakin' Applebees commercial, which means all the young teen girls who tune into the continuing misadventures of Amy Juergens are being indoctrinated with this poor grammar, and when they grow up, they'll teach their kids, and the cycle continues...

Guest Czecherbear

I know the difference between a slash and a backslash.

Everything except Inc's neck thing and Kinny's seed thing bothers me. Cracking knuckles, scraping styrofoam, soda-slurpers (I slurp tea sometimes but good lord only in private), the word "panties," ugh, so much discomfort.

In the interest of not being redundant, I don't like when people sing "Happy Birthday" to me. Never have. All the way back to when I was two years old, there's a home video of my parents warning guests that under no circumstances are they to sing to me, because I hate it so much. Then they went ahead and did it anyway, so I started crying, screaming, and banging my head on the chair. This isn't radically different from how I currently react.

I can't be privy to discussions about teeth without trembling.

Guest Czecherbear

Hey numbnuts, he already said there's a difference. That doesn't mean people like Smues and Lazarus won't f it up down the line, but it's there.

He already clarified that in the second post.

I'll go with over annunciation. People in Utah do this all the time, they don't want to sound uneducated (Utahn's tend to have a South-Lite accent where we cut syllables) so they overcorrect the other way and sound even more uneducated because they are almost quickly sounding out every word.

So I say "mount'un" at least I'm not going "moun-TAin"

Being touched at inappropriate moments. A short time ago I was talking to this really fit Norwegian bird and she kept stroking my arm, almost as an act of friendship. If I was going out with her this would have been fine, and since she was physically attractive I should have liked it anyway, but somehow I didn't.

The thought that I might be listening to music too loudly when in public. This terrifies me.

In the interest of not being redundant, I don't like when people sing "Happy Birthday" to me. Never have. All the way back to when I was two years old, there's a home video of my parents warning guests that under no circumstances are they to sing to me, because I hate it so much. Then they went ahead and did it anyway, so I started crying, screaming, and banging my head on the chair. This isn't radically different from how I currently react.

Here is an early Happy Birthday song for you....

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear queerbear

Happy Birthday to you

Now make a wish and then blow it out your ass ;)

Something that bothers me are white people who act more black than black people do.

The sound of other people eating.

Not everyone, but certain people. For example, my roomie, who closes his mouth only about 40% of the time when he's chewing. My dad was horrible for it too, but I couldn't figure it out, because he didn't chew with his mouth open. I just could not stand the sound that man made when he ate. I've seriously gotten up and left a room because I see him coming with food in his hand.

Also, people who keep butter in the fridge until you need it. I cannot stand cold butter; spreading it generally turns my once perfect roll into an ungodly mess of torn-apart bread stuck together (barely) but chunks of butter.

People who scrape their teeth with forks or spoons while eating. My girlfriend's dad does this when we have him over for dinner. Sometimes it's a slight noise that sounds almost accidental. Other times it sounds like he's biting down on the fucking fork. It's awful and completely ruins my dining experience. I'm a quiet eater and I can ignore people chewing loudly, chewing with their mouth open or something like that. I can look away from that and study the wall or some picture or something. But the NOISE of fork or spoon on teeth bothers me to no end.

Learning about other people's quirks makes me realize how lucky I am in comparison. I go through most days without hearing anyone say "panties" or making a grab for my neck or throat. Life for Czech and His Big Ball of Neuroses sounds like the pits. No wonder you're so bitter, dude.

the knob for the computer speakers is bothersome, as the diffrence between too quiet and too loud is approximately three microns.

also, water faucets that do the same between too hot and too cold.

Along those lines, people who smack their lips when they eat.

Lip smacking in general get's on my nerves.

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Something that bothers me are white people who act more black than black people do.

And how are black people supposed to act?

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

And how are black people supposed to act?

I think it's more in reference to:

wigger.png