Snot

Ben Folds Five

Ben Folds (solo)

The Strokes

Andrew W.K.

The Presidents of the United States of America

Tenacious D

My opinions:

311-Vastly under rated by people that only know them for "Down," did the rap/rock thing way before it was cool, and they do it better and managed to stay ahead of the curve when it became all the rage. Blending many styles, they are an eclectic group.

Sublime-Vastly OVER rated. I used to be really into them, until I realized about half their musical catalog are covers. Still, Bradley had one of the best lead-singer voices of any band. Problem is, he suffers from the "Cobain Syndrome," which made him into an infallible musical genius because of his untimely death, when in reality the songs are just "very good."

Reel Big Fish-One of the only bands who were able to survive the "ska sucks" fallout and keep a fan base intact. Even changed up their style on their 2nd album with more hard rock riffage. Show potential as musicians, even if their shtick can be annoying and get kind of old. Their horn line is amazing, though.

Snot-Since they only had one little-known album, the late frontman, Lynn Strait, did not become a victim of "Cobain Syndrome." Still, I think the real shame here is that he had an incredible metal-screaming voice. Since the only frame of reference of this band is one LP, I'd have to say that they were an average metal band, that WOULD have definitely made it big were they still around today.

Ben Folds Five-What can I say? Piano-pop rocks. Ben Folds is the master of the "story-telling song" with great lyrics that can still be sung along to. Unfortunately, some of his ballads are hard to tollerate. Still, when the Chapel Hill trio speed it up, they can exert more energy than any combo that has guitars in their lineup. The songs are expertly crafted, and they labeled themselves "punk rock for pussys," and hey, I never played football in high school, so the shoe fits.

Ben Folds-After Ben Folds Five released their most perfect album, they called it quits. Ben was able to show that he still has his incredible knack for song-writing and keeping his propensity for excellent, witty, story-telling lyrics. Although something seems subdued without his bandmates, Folds still offered up a great first solo effort.

The Strokes-Good band? Yes. Nifty songs? Yes. Refreshing throwback sound? Yes. Are they as good as the "darling of the music critics" label they got pinned to them? Kinda. They drag a little sometimes, and their songs can get kind of plain, but then again, some of their work really demands notice. They aren't the next Beatles, but they're pretty decent.

Andrew W.K.-People want to hate him for his dirty outfit and his dumb lyrics. Some people hate him because on first listen, his songs sound all the same. However, I believe he needs to start the next trend in rock 'n' roll...angst-free and back to the roots of rock tailored to have fun. Few rock songs work great as athems than "Party Hard," and few songs can pull together 4 kick-ass-balls-to-the-wall riffs in a row like that song does. Unfortunately, he'll never get the respect he deserves, because modern rock has taught the kids of today that all music must be serious, with serious topics, and above all, in pain.

The Presidents of the United States of America-There's more letters in their name than fans. Their songs are monumentally far from perfect, but in their favor, they have the "Primus Factor" going for them; their music should earn them a lot of jeers, but they're hard to dislike, so people tolerate their existence. They broke up just to spend time with their families, but they release an album every once in a while (sans tour), and are also involved in various side projects (the most interesting of which is Subset-the Presidents provide the rock music, and Sir Mix-a-Lot lays down rap vocals). Still, like Andrew W.K., they never forgot that rock was about having fun, so they get a thumbs up from me.

Tenacious D-Immature yet witty, Jack Black and Kyle Gass turned their cult TV show into a national smash hit with this album. No one doubts their humor, but not as many are quick to point out that their musicianship is excellent. The albums of most joke bands gather dust when the jokes get old, but the music of Tenacious D's debut is good enough to warrant constant spins in any stereo. And that's the difference.

Guest M Nyland

311 - Never listened to much, so I really can't rate them. I feel I will check them out soon to add to my every growing musicial collection.

Sublime - A band that I feel was one of the greatest bands of all time. They have so many influences going into their music that you can't help but like at least 2 or 3 songs, if not alot more. I can listen to their self-titled all the way through without getting bored, and that is saying alot since I can't do that with many CDs at all.

Reel Big Fish - I can say I enjoy them. I am into the punk/ska type bands and own "Turn the Radio Off" and enjoy regular listens of some of the songs. I would rather listen to Five Iron Frenzy, but when that is not available RBF is my backup band.

Snot - I think Snot came out the same as a band like Slaves on Dope. The lead singer turned up dead before anything could really be made of them. I find Snot to be a great band really. They had the talent and the friends in the biz (see: Strait Up) to make it somewhere and never be forgotten.

Ben Folds Five - I have the same feelings as KANE on this one. You can't get any more perfect than their last album for what they were trying to accomplish. I pretty much feel the same about his solo career so I will skip that and head to....

The Strokes - I first found them to have a really underground sound that I really admired. Don't own the album but working on it.

Andrew W.K. - love it. nuff said.

Tenacious D - GREATEST BAND EVER. self proclaimed. I love the album. Great songs and funny stuff. High Fidelity started my love of Jack Black and this is just back-up proof! Their album is a work of comedic and acoustic genius...and Dave Grohl plays the drums...so who can be sad about that!

Guest TUS_02

311 - Not a fan, but I'm not going to change the channel or a station if they're on

Sublime - Influencial or not, I don't listen to these guys... I go OUT of my way NOT to hear these guys. I can tolerate Santeria, that's about it.

Reel Big Fish - Can't say I've heard anything by them

Snot - Never heard these guys before.

Ben Folds Five - Like with 311, I won't buy his CD's, or go see him, but if he's on, I'll listen

Ben Folds (solo) - Uh, see above

The Strokes - I've heard so much about these guys, but haven't heard a damn thing from them.

Andrew W.K. - I love this guy. I have the same thoughts as KANE too, he may not be an smart guy and put out "smart" songs, but it's a good change from what's usually popular

The Presidents of the United States of America - I am actually surprised people still remember these guys, which makes me happy, because I love them. I'm kinda confused on where they stand since I heard they broke up, yet I just bought an album they released a year ago or something. Anyway, this guys rule.

Tenacious D- Let me throw this out there, if these guys were just two original guys that no one knew about.... would you still be up in arms over them? I mean, Tribute is a great song... but I dunno... I'm not too big on most people only liking them because of Jack Black. (I have a feeling I know what's coming)

Guest swan

311-Big fan of “Music” when it came out back in ’94 (I lived with a guy that went to High School with one of the guys in the band). “Grassroots was a good follow up but it has been down hill ever since. Saying they do the “rap/rock thing” is not the right way to describe them.

Sublime- “40 Ozs..” was a great indie album but the follow up major label debut was a huge disappointment. The band has been severely watered down with all the rarities crap they released to jump on the popularity that was received with the death of Brad.

Reel Big Fish- Not a fan.

Snot- Not a fan.

Ben Folds Five-Not bad. Say ‘em live at Lalapooloza or Horde fest, not sure which. Don’t own any albums but they are worth a look.

Ben Folds (solo)- Not a fan.

The Strokes- Others have done this sound before and better.

Andrew W.K.- Take him for what he is. People crap on him for beening “party metal”. Who the fuck cares, it’s catchy and fun. A song doesn’t need to make you want to slit your throat to be good.

The Presidents of the United States of America- Not a fan

Tenacious D-Not a fan

Guest saturnmark4life

311 - hate em

sublime - not heard enough

reel big fish - like em

ben folds five - love em

ben folds - love im

strokes - like em

Andrew WK - LOVE him

PUSA - LOVE em

tenacious D - fuck her gently is crap, that's all i've heard.

Guest Youth N Asia

311...alright...I'm kind of in the middle, I don't know if I like them a lot or can't stand them really.

Sublime...any band where the lead singer dies instantly gets pushed to legendary status that they don't deserve...Sublime is no exception...nothing special.

Ben Folds Five & Ben Folds (solo)...There's almost no difference...I guess I like the Five better...very creative and well done songs

The Strokes...good in small doses

Andrew W.K....my hero...I can't explain why I love his cd so much...just dumb loud rock.

The Presidents of the United States of America...funny for about a minute...

Tenacious D...funny for about 2 minutes...no piece of art...still amusing anyway, not a long shelf life though.

Guest PlatypusFool

Ben Folds, whether with his 'five' or not, is one of the best musicians and song writers on the planet. The three albums he recorded with the band are all good, although they got less good as time went on, the best one being the first, self-titled debut which still gets played more than anything in my collection over the summer months. It's just so happy! Ben Folds first, and fairly unknown solo album 'Fear Of Pop: Volume 1', is one of the most ignored classics in the world, a nearly wholly instrumental record of pure wonderousness. 'Rocking The Suburbs' is also AWESOME with possibly my favourite song ever on it, 'the luckiest'. I love him and all his works, without a doubt.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

311 - Good, good stuff. Rap/rock with a funk edge, and the songs they write are, ya know...GOOD. I think every other rap/rock band should take a hitn from 311 and "come original." Bwahahaha...

Sublime - Decent. I can see why people orgasm over them, but I don't.

Reel Big Fish - Best modern ska band.

Snot - I fucking hate Snot, yet I love the band that features both of Snot's ex-guitarists, Tumor and Sonny Mayo: Amen. Weird, eh?

Ben Folds Five

Ben Folds (solo) - I fucking hate pop/rock shit in all of its commercially acceptable forms.

The Strokes - Decent.

Andrew W.K. - Unintentionally hi-fucking-larious.

The Presidents of the United States of America - Blech.

Tenacious D - Geniuses. Jack Black is the best comedic thing to happen to mainstream music since Green Jelly first released "Three Little Pigs."

Guest Nevermortal

-Blah

Sublime

-Blah'er

Reel Big Fish

-Ska Sucks. Ska Revival isn't cool you stupid fuck. And if you don't believe it, you're a schmuck. The trend will die out with any luck.

Snot

-Blah'est

Ben Folds Five

-Yay for Pianos

Ben Folds (solo)

-Rockin' the Suburbs.

The Strokes

-Total throwback to older times, but aside from that, they suck.

Andrew W.K.

-Pure unadulterated Crappola on a stick.

The Presidents of the United States of America

-I liked Peaches...

Tenacious D

-Don't get the joke, won't get the joke, and don't wanna get the joke. Unfunny to the max.

Guest dreamer420

the only band i'm a fan of from that list is sublime. they are an amazing band that put out so many classic songs that are still played at drunken parties everywhere to this day. smoke two joints and santaria are the shit.

Guest chirs3

311 - I used to like them, but their new stuff ain't so great.

Sublime - Mix of really good and really bad.

Reel Big Fish - Heh. Fun for a while.

Snot - Who?

Ben Folds Five - Haven't heard much, but I likes 'em.

Ben Folds (solo) - Who?

The Strokes - Heard one song, like 'em.

Andrew W.K. - Heard one song, kinda neat.

The Presidents of the United States of America - Eh.

Tenacious D - Not a big fan, occasionally listen to 'em.

Guest Doomsault

I'm only telling about the ones that I know anything about.

311-They don't F with their style keeping them consistently decent in my POV.

Sublime-Haven't heard much by them but a few people I know hold them in high regards.

The Strokes-Personally I can't stand them.

Andrew W.K.-The essence of wannabe.

The Presidents of the United States of America-Peaches for me, peaches for you.

Tenacious D-WTF?!

Guest MaxPower27

For the record, I don't own any of these CD's, except Snot.

311 - They're aiggit, bleh. I'm not down with the whole "rap" thing, unless it's Reveille.

Sublime- Kids in school cream themselves over Sublime. They're OK, but I see what else is on the radio.

Reel Big Fish - Who?

Snot - Actually a good CD, they remind me of a less disiplined 7dust.

Ben Folds Five - I only heard that one song they released about 5 years ago, but it was OK

Ben Folds (solo) - No.

The Strokes - Heard of them, but couldn't tell you if I heard them

Andrew W.K. - Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. OK, I'm going to put out a Cd, and almost every song I release is going to involve the word party, then everyone's gonna jizz their pants. So if I released a CD, whose songs each contained the word "cockwart", you guys would be jumping all over my nuts?

The Presidents of the United States of America - No.

Tenacious D - Only heard tribute. Song=OK. Video=HILARIOUS.

What about CampKillYourself? Course of Nature? Soil? Reveille? Kittie?

Guest massivHEDtrauma

311: Their singles are okay. I know little else beyond that. I saw them in concert about a year ago at a radio festival because my ex was a HUGE 311 fan and we were really close to the front. The concert was good for what it was, but for me it all sounded pretty much the same, which I hate. I'm sort of biased against them because of said ex, but have nothing against them really.

Sublime: Buh. I don't understand why they are so worshipped. I'm not really a fan of ska, so I don't know too much about them. What I do know is that all the talent in the band died with Brad because the Long Beach Dub All-Stars SUCK ASS~! I saw them in concert at the same festival, too, and the only good things they played were the old Sublime songs.

Reel Big Fish: I don't like ska. And some bastard who I hated in an e-fed I used to post in loved them. So I am biased.

Snot: I don't know them.

Ben Folds Five: I absolutely love Ben Folds Five. Ben Folds is just a brilliant songwriter, and the band as a whole are brilliant musicians. Where else can you get music that sounds so deep...and there are only three of them! They're just too good to be true, and their presence will be missed...

Ben Folds (solo): ...but at least Ben is solo now. I saw him in concert, just him and a piano, and it was one of the best things I've ever seen. Ben Folds is a genius. And he's nice, too, I had a conversation with him afterwards and we talked about Indiana.

The Strokes: I like The Strokes a lot but they don't deserve all the recognition that they have gotten. Sure, they're very original, sure they're a throwback, sure they're young, but they aren't "the saviors of rock and roll" and they didn't deserve so many critics naming their album as best of the year.

Andrew W.K.: Der. I think he's nuts and Party Hard is really catchy.

The Presidents of the United States of America: I don't know them well enough to asess.

Tenacious D: I loved Tenacious D before Jack Black even became popular and I'm not going to change my tune now. They're fucking hilarious. And they're great musicians too. Enough said.

Guest hardyz1

311- Great

Sublime- Eh

Reel Big Fish- Eh

Snot- Never heard any of their stuff

Ben Folds Five- Very cool

Ben Folds (solo)- Ditto

The Strokes- Eh

Andrew W.K.- Stupid fun

The Presidents of the United States of America- Cool

Tenacious D- Stupid immature comedy. And that's a good thing.

Guest Mark4steamboat

311: Awesome band all around.From Chaos is a tremendous album.Their new single "Amber" has a reggae sound and is really cool.

Sublime: Killer band but you have to enjoy *that* kind of music.

Reel Big Fish: crap

snot:crap

Ben Folds Five: Awesome band that caught a break with Brick but that was not their best song.

Ben Folds: Rockin the Suburbs is a hilarious video and a good song. Pick up the album, it rules.

The Strokes: Best new band in a long while. I get to see them with dashboard confessional and weezer later this summer so it should rule.

Andrew W.K: Didnt like him at first but his album is great and a throwback to metal from the 80s.

Presidents: Lump wasnt bad.

Tenacious D: i dont see what all the fuss is about them.

Guest evenflowDDT
smoke two joints and santaria are the shit.

Ummm... "Smoke Two Joints" is a cover song. The much better original is by a reggae band called The Toyes, though I can see how you wouldn't know that because Sublime's more popular and The Toyes' catalogue has been out of print for god knows how long. I'm not trying to be an arrogant music-critic dick by pointing this out, but Sublime's version is karaoke, at best.

Anyway...

311 - I don't know that many of their songs, but they're better than most people give them credit for. "Down" is actually not one of their best songs, which is funny because that's all most people know them for.

Sublime - Decent band, though I can't figure out how they achieved the god-like status they have. I think it is "Cobain Syndrome". I mean Sublime's not a bad band, and their singles are pretty enjoyable when they come on the radio or at a party, but it's not something I'd go out and buy. Maybe if it was used...

Reel Big Fish - I only know "Sell Out" and their cover of A-Ha's "Take on Me", which is a really fun cover. Other than that, beats the hell out of me. I think they also covered "Hungry Like the Wolf"... sacrilege!

Snot - Who?

Ben Folds Five - I've only heard a few of their songs. Sometimes almost too mellow... they need an energy kick. Any Ben Folds Five fans want to tell me what some of their high-energy/better songs are if they have any? I've only heard a few soundtrack offerings, and since one of those is a Steely Dan cover (more sacrilege! well, not really since I don't own any Steely Dan records, it's the only way I own "Barry Town"... heh...).

Ben Folds - Never heard any of his solo songs/concerts 'cuz I'm not that familiar with Ben Folds Five, although I DID know they broke up, so I know something about them...

The Strokes - Who? Seriously... for all everyone has talked about them, I've yet to hear one of their songs.

Andrew W.K. - Who? All I know is his album cover is heavily censored...

The Presidents of the U.S.A. - I don't know any songs other than "Peaches" and "Lump", which are catchy bits of fluff. I was surprised when they came out with another album last year, as I was sure everyone had forgotten about them by then.

Tenacious D - Wouldn't know, haven't heard 'em.

Guest Kinetic

311- Suck. I tend to group certain bands with stereotypes of people that I dislike and 311 seems to be a favorite of both pot-smoking fat guys and people who always want to describe their drum kit and/or bass amp to you. I hate the band not just for this, however, but for their terrible songwriting and the lead singer's obnoxious voice.

Sublime- Seriously overrated. Some of their stuff is acceptable at best, but the fact that they're a legend in the suburbs is disturbing.

Reel Big Fish- Fucking shitty third-generation ska bullshit. I absolutely despise all of that garbage.

Snot- No opinion.

Ben Folds Five- Ben Folds is a lame hipster doofus. Some of his songs are all right, but he uses a lot of pop culture references and stupid jokes--a total no-no if you want your music to have any sort of staying power. He can't seem to decide if he wants to be a hip, funny Burt Bacharach or the Barenaked Ladies.

Ben Folds (solo)- See above.

The Strokes- I'm probably not cool for saying this, but Is This It? is a fine album. Good, catchy rock songs with the sort of fake "garage" sound that's still better than the fucking awful synthetic garbage that passes for studio production generally.

Andrew W.K.- I really don't understand the fuss about him. But it's probably just not my thing.

The Presidents of the United States of America- Lame. I don't get what anyone sees in these jokey cartoonish bands that put little to no effort into their songwriting.

Tenacious D- Again, I don't understand it. Jack Black is a pretty funny guy but...if I wanted to laugh, I'd watch TV or a movie or something. I don't listen to music for the humor.

Guest KANE

EvenflowDDT:

For good energetic Ben Folds Five songs, I recommend: "Army" (probably my favorite song by them), "Song for the Dumped," and "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces."