TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 13

Honestly, the Giants pretty much dominated most of that game. Last minute pick or not, if the Cowboys won that game, the people who are claiming they choked would be calling them lucky.

Not really. The Giants winning the championship WAS lucky. The Tyree catch happens maybe one in a thousand times at best. It's like Scott Norwood and wide right, only more spectacular because it ended the perfect season. Objectively speaking, to pay back teams that beat you four times by 46 points in the regular season by a total of 10 points is the definition of a lucky run. The only game I would have been pissed off about losing, and probably would have called a fluke loss was the Packers game since Tynes missed 2 kicks in the 4th Quarter that would have sealed it before OT.

Well, I didn't mean to single out Giants fans. I know a bunch of people who think just because FOX and ESPN say how great the Cowboys are, no matter how they lose or to who, if they LOSE they automatically choke. It's so annoying when you have to deal with fans who don't really follow it enough to have an intelligent conversation about it with. I kind of have to dumb myself down to their level.

Guest Vitamin X
Honestly, the Giants pretty much dominated most of that game. Last minute pick or not, if the Cowboys won that game, the people who are claiming they choked would be calling them lucky.

Not really. The Giants winning the championship WAS lucky. The Tyree catch happens maybe one in a thousand times at best. It's like Scott Norwood and wide right, only more spectacular because it ended the perfect season. Objectively speaking, to pay back teams that beat you four times by 46 points in the regular season by a total of 10 points is the definition of a lucky run. The only game I would have been pissed off about losing, and probably would have called a fluke loss was the Packers game since Tynes missed 2 kicks in the 4th Quarter that would have sealed it before OT.

Don't forget the Favre pick in OT which led to the FG which won the game.

Ultimately, whether you win by a lot or a little, winning's winning. Who cares. It's like the Viking fans who I've heard (not Slayer) bragging about the 98 team being better and that they should have won the NFC Championship. We all suffer crushing losses in the playoffs.

If Tynes kicks either of those two shanks through the uprights Favre never throws the pick and probably doesn't end up playing for the Jets. I don't know if we did you guys a favor or not by making him cry, retire and then decide he wanted to play for the Vikings or Bears before settling on the Jets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress suffered an accidental gunshot wound Friday night in a club, according to multiple sources.

Details of the incident weren't immediately available, but according to a source the wound was not considered life-threatening.

Fox Sports.com reported that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg and spent the night in the hospital.

Burress, who was not expected to play against the Washington Redskins on Sunday because of a hamstring injury, was not at team meetings and did not attend the team's Saturday walkthrough.

The Giants organization was not commenting on the story.

In September, Burress was suspended for a game and fined for a violation of team rules, reportedly failing to appear at a team meeting and being unavailable by phone. At the time, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that Burress was tending to urgent family matters.

Burress signed a five-year, $35 million contract this fall after helping the Giants to a Super Bowl championship last season.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Guns and alcohol don't mix, people. Accidentally shooting yourself in the leg? That's some Pac-Man Jones shit. Well, no. I take that back. Jones would have shot someone else.

I think the Giants need to cut him at the end of the season. He's becoming a Tiki/Shockey level distraction and he's not producing this year so I think it's time to pull the plug on the experiment.

Guest Vitamin X

If Tynes kicks either of those two shanks through the uprights Favre never throws the pick and probably doesn't end up playing for the Jets. I don't know if we did you guys a favor or not by making him cry, retire and then decide he wanted to play for the Vikings or Bears before settling on the Jets.

If you've ever watched a Packers or Jets game on MNF, you're probably saying it's not a favor at all. And poor Aaron Rodgers. It's hard enough to follow up the guy who defined your franchise for the past decade and a half, but it's even harder when you have to replace him when he still wanted to play at the last minute.

The most frustrating part about that pick is that it was only like 2nd and short or something like that and it wasn't just a bad decision, but an awful throw as well.

Wow. Tiki Barber gets grouped with Shockey and Burress just because he expressed his intent to retire. That's awesomely selfish of the fans naiwf.

On top of making his final season all about him, he also called out the coach, his teammates, the media, whined about his lack of touches etc. If you were a fan of the Giants you know why people called him Tik-me Barber towards the end of his tenure with the team. Winning the SB the year after he left was that much sweeter.

I'm sure it was sweeter, especially after his dumb comment early in the year about Eli's leadership, which I think helped snap it into Eli. But at the heart of it, when Tiki was there, Coughlin WAS a tyrant, his teammates WERE the aforementioned distractions Shockey and Burress, the media I don't know about, and after having career seasons at the running back position, it was transparent they wanted nothing to do with him after he announced his intent to retire, so yes I'd understand him griping about less involvement in the offense.

Tiki's problem was he wanted to be the team leader but he never took responsibility for stirring up shit. He never got Shockey or Plax to fall in line either. Announcing his retirement less than halfway through the season meant he lost whatever pull he had in the locker room, and that's when management basically made him look like a whining ass by getting him less touches. He essentially handled everything about his last couple of seasons wrong off of the field. The Eli comments really came back to bite him because he won the championship without Tiki and Shockey, who were easily his two biggest detractors. The fact that this year's team is even better without those two AND Strahan still boggles my mind. I guess not having clubhouse cancers can be a great thing even if the guys who replace them are not nearly as talented on an individual basis.

No, I'm saying that for a while Tiki, Shockey and Strahan were easily the three biggest talents/names on the team. They're all gone now and the team is playing better, which just doesn't make sense especially when you factor in that Osi didn't play a meaningful snap this season either. I would say that it's mostly smoke and mirrors but it's hard to do that when they lead the league in scoring and rushing and are # 5 on defense in both points and yards while playing the toughest schedule in the league.

Guest Czecherbear

I really want to see "WR Plaxico Burress: PROBABLE (self-inflicted gunshot wound, leg)" tomorrow morning.

Guest Vitamin X
No, I'm saying that for a while Tiki, Shockey and Strahan were easily the three biggest talents/names on the team. They're all gone now and the team is playing better, which just doesn't make sense especially when you factor in that Osi didn't play a meaningful snap this season either. I would say that it's mostly smoke and mirrors but it's hard to do that when they lead the league in scoring and rushing and are # 5 on defense in both points and yards while playing the toughest schedule in the league.

Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw are one good reason why replacing Tiki was possible, Justin Tuck has been outstanding for the Giants this year, as has Kiwanuka, and Manning's made himself a good enough QB that Shockey isn't really necessary, or Plax for that matter. Inferior Steve Smith has been pretty awesome too.

It's clear the team is gelling at a championship caliber level. It's like you guys finally got it, how to win, after a few seasons of false starts.

They're like the Seattle Seahawks, except they figured it out.

Somehow between the first time I saw the story and the second it went from "Burress will be back in two weeks" to "Burress may be going to jail for 3 and a half years for carrying an unlicensed weapon". It's unclear if he has a concealed carry permit or not, but apparently New York has a minimum 3.5 year jail sentence if he didn't. So the timetable for his return is somewhere between December and never.

If Plax goes to jail, I'm hoping the Giants can recoup some of the money they threw his way and try to sign Whosyourmama in the offseason. Just as talented as Plax, but far less drama.

The fact that the Giants gave him a huge contract is enough slack. He's been fined in excess of 40 times in 3 1/2 seasons, they already suspended him once and Gooddell might give him another week off (if not more). They don't really need to pay $5+ million a year for a guy who doesn't practice and is averaging 3.5 catches and 45.4 yards per game this year.

One makes a case that Eli is one of the best QB's in the league because he won a SB. He's not. Burress is still one of the best WR's in the league. Keep him. You'll have a better shot to win it all with him than without. Unless you land TO or COC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress suffered an accidental gunshot wound Friday night in a club, according to multiple sources.

Details of the incident weren't immediately available, but according to a source the wound was not considered life-threatening.

Fox Sports.com reported that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg and spent the night in the hospital.

Burress, who was not expected to play against the Washington Redskins on Sunday because of a hamstring injury, was not at team meetings and did not attend the team's Saturday walkthrough.

The Giants organization was not commenting on the story.

In September, Burress was suspended for a game and fined for a violation of team rules, reportedly failing to appear at a team meeting and being unavailable by phone. At the time, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that Burress was tending to urgent family matters.

Burress signed a five-year, $35 million contract this fall after helping the Giants to a Super Bowl championship last season.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Guns and alcohol don't mix, people. Accidentally shooting yourself in the leg? That's some Pac-Man Jones shit. Well, no. I take that back. Jones would have shot someone else.

I wouldn't say the Cowboys losing the to the Giants in 2007 playoffs was a choke job. If anything it was more of a Cowboys pattern that they has shown once December(and beyond) football starts. Look at their record down the stretch as a team once Phillips was made head coach. Messing up the hold for an extra point is a lot more fluky/chokekob then throwing an INT though. The INT to end the game had just as much to do with the Giants making a good play on defense, yet the handling on the extra point was 100% on Romo.

Also, it kinda bugs me that the media has been slobbering over Romo so much about how now that he is back everything is fine and back to normal, yet out of the Cowboys four losses, two of them took place when Romo was the healthy starter. Yet somehow they act like the Cowboys were just this unstoppable force until Romo went down with an injury. Don't get me wrong, he does make a big difference on offense, but to act like the Cowboys didn't have other aspects to be worried about other than the QB position, is just being blind.