TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

So mycomputercareer.com; is it worth it?

I've been mulling whether or not to take these IT classes through mycomputercareer.com. It costs 25,000 bucks and it gets me seven different certifications as well as guaranteed job placement upon completion of the course. The computer business is pretty recession proof and the pay is good so I figured it might be worth a shot. However, I'm already up to my elbows in school debt from college, so having another debt to pay off doesn't sound too appealing. Not sure if I can do two four hour classes a week either at this stage.

Anybody done this type of thing before? Anybody have any of these certifications (A+ certified, Cisco certifications, Microsoft certifications)? If so, how hard were they to get? Thanks beforehand.

get a job with the government; they'll pay for your certs. most entry level tech support jobs don't pay too poorly (i think people at my office start out around 40k) and they'll pay for your certs, which opens you up to automatic promotion within your company or set you up with a competitive resume to apply outside of it. i didn't have any certs when i got my job; all i did was throw around a few phrases that implied i knew what i was talking about in the interview. what i'd do if i were you is to look at contracting companies (NOT TEMP COMPANIES, big difference) that deal with local/state/federal government and get on board with them. just hound them until they interview you; it's actually very easy, from my experience with the dolts we hire, to get on with these companies once you finally get the interview. job security is meh, especially on a contractors' basis, but if it's between shelling out fricking 25 grand or rolling the dice with your company losing the contract, it's no contest.

get a job with the government; they'll pay for your certs. most entry level tech support jobs don't pay too poorly (i think people at my office start out around 40k) and they'll pay for your certs, which opens you up to automatic promotion within your company or set you up with a competitive resume to apply outside of it. i didn't have any certs when i got my job; all i did was throw around a few phrases that implied i knew what i was talking about in the interview. what i'd do if i were you is to look at contracting companies (NOT TEMP COMPANIES, big difference) that deal with local/state/federal government and get on board with them. just hound them until they interview you; it's actually very easy, from my experience with the dolts we hire, to get on with these companies once you finally get the interview. job security is meh, especially on a contractors' basis, but if it's between shelling out fricking 25 grand or rolling the dice with your company losing the contract, it's no contest.

I have a history degree, that would help as far as government jobs go, right? Doesn't hurt that I live in my state's capital either, I guess.

i've got a history/polysci degree, so yeah.

if you've got a BA, it'll be easy to get in.

I contacted someone from the historical archives and they said there was a "job freeze" currently in place. She told me to watch the government website for job opportunities, but most of what I have seen are for janitors or positions that I'm not qualified for.

I guess I should also mention I decided to not go through with the IT classes, since I'm already paying off school bills from the last time I went back to school and quit. Decided I wasn't gonna take a chance on flaking out again, especially considering I work full time now.

yeah... like i said, go through the contracting companies. if you go straight to the government, it's freaking hard to get a job a lot of times. contracting companies, hell, they'll hire anyone. in my field, companies like raytheon, general dynamics, etc. are good places to look. just do a little research and find what contractors the agencies you're looking into use.

i've got a history/polysci degree, so yeah.

if you've got a BA, it'll be easy to get in.

Have you started the classes yet? I am thinking of signing on and wanted your opinion.

oh, lol no. i got my degree at pitt and got computer classes paid for by the us government through like, some random vendor. they shipped us down to atlanta for two weeks and had us take a battery of classes to get mcse/mcsa and security+. if i was gonna stay with my company much longer, they might pay for me get my cissp and ceh certs, but i'd rather torture myself in the marine corps.

The information in this post is outdated and inaccurate. MyComputerCareer.com has several training programs at different price points. It's also advisable to seek advice from those who have actually experienced the training, which no one posting here so far seems to have done. The right certifications really DO open doors that would otherwise be closed and MyComputerCareer.com is unique in the specific certs they provide, the speed with which they prepare you, and the level of support they give you to actually land a job and launch your new career. Further, the difficulty in getting any certifications is a function of the student's apptitude and experience as well as the quality of training. MyComputerCareer is designed for those looking to change careers or I.T. insiders who are stuck in low-level jobs and want to advance. Their Test Pass Guarantee and high octane instructors provide an outstanding experience and result both in shortening the training time and effectively preparing students for real world success. So is it worth it? Without a doubt!