TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

WWE Raw - December 8, 2008: The Return of the Slammys

Finishing Move of the Year:

RKO

Hell's Gate (Taker's submission, I guess)

Knockout Punch (Big Show)

SSP

Hell's Gate? I thought JR had been calling it The Devil's Triangle for several weeks?

Most Extreme Moment of 2008

Nominees: Jeff Hardy's Swanton Bomb on Randy Orton from the RAW set, Undertaker falls off ladder through table as Edge wins TLC Match at ONS, JBL throws John Cena off stage into car windshield at The Great American Bash, Chris Jericho smashes Shawn Michaels' head through Jeri-Tron on RAW

"DAMN!" Moment of 2008

Nominees: Khali Kiss Cam on SmackDown, Jim Ross in sailor suit on SmackDown, CM Punk disguised in Mariachi Band, lays out Chavo Guerrero on ECW, Santino Marella attempts Melina’s Entrance on RAW

I think that's all of the categories now.

I'm looking forward to the show (as I tend to with 3 hours Raws - I don't want them every week, but specials can be fun) but people seemed to be really excited about this. I'm not going to set the bar so high that I'll be let down, but just with what's been announced already, it should be fine.

Extra bonus for me - I don't have to go work after Raw this Monday, so hooray.

I also suspect Jim Haas to win best impersonation because it was universally hated, so WWE needs to tell us it was great.

I wonder if for the IC title tournament, the semi's will be done in hour 1 and the finals in hour 3 (or something along those lines). A PPV quality Punk vs. Rey match would be great, and I guess it would make the tournament itself even more prestigious to have the finals on PPV, but that would all be moot if the IC title match took place on Raw or 6 weeks later at the Royal Rumble.

Okay I actually missed a whole bunch of category nominees -

Best wwe.com exclusive

* Cryme Tyme's "Word Up!"

* The Miz & John Morrison present "The Dirt Sheet"

* "Santino’s Casa"

* "Outthink the Fink"

The Dirtsheet wins easily. Though I could certainly do without the fart jokes, but they're playing to their ultimate audience of one (and Vince loves his fart jokes).

Breakout star of the year

* Kofi Kingston

* Vladimir Kozlov

* Evan Bourne

* Ted DiBiase

This is interesting. Dibiase doesn't have a chance, but outside of him, I could see any of the other three getting it. Koslov is main eventing/challenging for World Title, Kofi was hot as hell in ECW feuding with Benjamin, though the move to Raw derailed him to a large extent, he did win the IC and tag title. Evan Bourne was an instant hit, standing out even when he debuted as Matt Sydal.

Best Musical performance

* R-Truth's entrance (SmackDown, Sept. 15)

* Santino rapping to Akon (Raw, Nov. 17)

* Edge singing “Heaven” to Vickie (SmackDown, Feb. 15)

* The Miz & John Morrison Rap ("The Dirt Sheet," Aug. 29)

R-Truth will probably get it. Though I could see Santino piling up the Slammies because he could probably do most with them given his character. Of course not getting any would work for him as well. No Jillian? Maybe she'll crash the segment.

Announce team of the year

* Jerry Lawler & Michael Cole

* Jim Ross & Tazz

* Matt Striker & Todd Grisham

WWE announcing sucks right now. Specifically the PBP announcers. JR is solid, if unspectacular, Cole is simply horrid and Grisham is just there. The ECW crew gets the nod for Striker alone. He'll be ruined once Vince starts paying any attention to the brand though.

Best impersonation

* Charlie Haas as "Haas" Hogan (Raw, Oct. 13)

* Charlie Haas as "CHL" (Raw, Sept. 8)

* Charlie Haas as "The Glamahaas" (Raw, Oct. 27)

* Charlie Haas as Mr. Perfect (Raw, Sept. 22)

Glamahaas. I actually hated the Mr. Perfect segment, Haas Hogan would probably be my second choice. I could see Haas Hogan winning because the wwe might want to take shots as Hogan as things between the wwe and Hogan seem to be heating up a bit.

Can somebody explain to me how Batista currently has the lead in the wwe.com poll of who should be superstar of the year? I know he's a fan favorite, but with Cena and even Triple H on that list, who the hell would vote for Dave? He's done absolutely nothing of note this year, besides win the WHT and hold it for 8 days. Hell, I don't even think he should be on the ballot..I think Orton's had a more impressive year, since we're going all the way back to January.

Announce team of the year

* Jerry Lawler & Michael Cole

* Jim Ross & Tazz

* Matt Striker & Todd Grisham

Striker and Grisham by a mile. Grisham is just there for the sake of having a 2-man commentary team, but Striker is amazing. The guy really found his niche.

Best impersonation

* Charlie Haas as "Haas" Hogan (Raw, Oct. 13)

* Charlie Haas as "CHL" (Raw, Sept. 8)

* Charlie Haas as "The Glamahaas" (Raw, Oct. 27)

* Charlie Haas as Mr. Perfect (Raw, Sept. 22)

Haas as Mr. Perfect gets my vote. I got a laugh out of him playing around at Dave & Busters.

Can somebody explain to me how Batista currently has the lead in the wwe.com poll of who should be superstar of the year? I know he's a fan favorite, but with Cena and even Triple H on that list, who the hell would vote for Dave? He's done absolutely nothing of note this year, besides win the WHT and hold it for 8 days. Hell, I don't even think he should be on the ballot..I think Orton's had a more impressive year, since we're going all the way back to January.

If it makes you feel any better, Triple H is now currently leading with Big Dave in second place, followed by Cena.

Kozlov makes sense in that he's been feuding for the heavyweight title. Kofi had legitimate claim seeing as he's been IC champ and is current Tag champion - but he was hotter when feuding with Benjamin in ECW. Raw's undercard is always neglected, almost criminally. Bourne was derailed by his injury, but still would have finished third.

R-Truth will probably be introduced as "Slammy Award Winning Artist", I can't believe Jillian Hall wasn't included as a nominee. Maybe they wanted the categories to have some semblance of legitimacy.

Striker and Grisham have won the award for Anounce Team of the Year.

Whoever is editing WWE.com did not win Speller of the Year.

That's awesome. Good for Striker and Grisham.

If it makes you feel any better, Triple H is now currently leading with Big Dave in second place, followed by Cena.

Jericho now has the lead at 30% followed not so closely by Batista's 21%. I hope that they actually take into consideration the fan vote when announcing the Superstar of the Year tonight. Jericho really does deserve to win.