TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

The bodyguard angle

I've always loved the bodyguard angles in wrestling. Wrestler is the target of mulitiple enemies. In order to ensure the champion keeps his title, he enlists the aid of a bodyguard/insurance policy/etc to make sure he doesn't lose the title.

This topic is to discuss some of the worst and best angles in history.

For me, Shawn/Diesel is the tops

I've always loved the bodyguard angles in wrestling. Wrestler is the target of mulitiple enemies. In order to ensure the champion keeps his title, he enlists the aid of a bodyguard/insurance policy/etc to make sure he doesn't lose the title.

The best payoff for the bodyguard angle is when after the bodyguard takes out all of the champion's competition, he turns on the champ and goes after the belt himself.

The most unique bodyguard angle from the little pre-94 WWF clips I've seen was DiBiase/Virgil.

The bodyguard was basically just someone DiBiase threw in the path of people when he didn't want to get attacked.

And then much later, Virgil beats DiBiase for the belt that DiBiase created.

And then much later, Virgil beats DiBiase for the belt that DiBiase created.

Virgil's turn was one of the biggest pops I've ever heard. I'm also a big fan of the bodyguard angles, and in the same vein, I thought the ApA was a fantastic idea.

The best payoff for the bodyguard angle is when after the bodyguard takes out all of the champion's competition, he turns on the champ and goes after the belt himself.

This turns the bodyguard heel and the champion face? Or the other way around? Personally I find it more satisfying when the bodyguard has had enough of the champion's abuse that he turns on him and becomes his own man, but retaining the badassery that got him over as a bodyguard.

Starrcade 87 is really the only thing I've watched from NWA at that time, but I loved Big Bubba Rogers with the Midnight Express & Cornette. He just seemed like he could squash the Rock n roll express. Then he came to WWF & took on jobber persona within a few years. Love it!!!!!!

This turns the bodyguard heel and the champion face? Or the other way around? Personally I find it more satisfying when the bodyguard has had enough of the champion's abuse that he turns on him and becomes his own man, but retaining the badassery that got him over as a bodyguard.

Other way around. The bodyguard gets sick of having to do the dirty work for the heel champion, and when all the competition has been put away, the bodyguard does a face turn and instantly becomes a gigantic threat to the champ.

Ok because the way you phrased it, it sounded like the bodyguard was an evil mastermind who knows exactly what he is doing all along. It'd be an interesting take on the angle.

I agree... that would definitely be an interesting twist. However, you almost would have to do a double turn as it would be hard to justify why a strong face champion would need a bodyguard.

Not really. It only takes one guy turning. You have the heel champion being almost manipulated by his larger and more heelish bodyguard. You could have the fans dying to see the champion discover the bodyguard's plot, and you can either have him actually find out beforehand and kick the bodyguard to the curb, turning himself face for shedding this malicious presence OR have the bodyguard carry out his plan to perfection and the champion gets the sympathy face turn out of it (think Sid/HBK).

I thought the HBK/Sid split was kinda funny, because HBK was acting heelish before Sid turned on him. HBK basically tells Sid he was the reason he lost at WM 11 and then gives him the night off, and Sid snaps. The way Sid snapped made the whole angle work, though.

The only reason HBK came out of that as the face was because Diesel came out immediately to run off Sid from the ring and attend to him. Take Diesel out of that and Sid is the face.

If not for the bodyguard angle, we'd never have Mr. Hughes!

You got me to thinking about him and so I did some research. I did not realize how young Mr. Hughes was when he came out in WCW! He was late 20s. That's incredible to me. He was a former college football player which I also did not know.

I guess you put a guy in professional clothes (instead of spandex) and it adds a few years.

Plus his name was "Mr." so that too suggests a more advnaced age. ;)

And what's funny is that when he showed up in the WWF in 1999 with Chris Jericho, he looked about 15 years younger.

And what's funny is that when he showed up in the WWF in 1999 with Chris Jericho, he looked about 15 years younger.

I was just remembering that the other day. Talk about a short and forgettable run. Did he get injured or something? That whole Jericho/Shamrock feud around that time just tanked completely.

Funny...whenever I think of Mr. Hughes, I remember PN News coming out and doing a rap that ended with "I don't care if I win, I don't care if I lose, I'm just here to get revenge on Mr. Hughes...yo baby, yo baby, yo." Man, it's been over 15 years and I still remember that for some reason.

No one has mentioned this bodyguard angle yet: Berlyn and The Wall. Of course with that one I don't really recall The Wall ever turning or anything. One day he was just wrestling matches.

I enjoyed one in OVW with Bobby Lashley being in Bolin Services and they did a slow burn where he eventually got fed up with Ken Doane. Eventually Lashley got pretty over from this angle and WWE called up him, so oddly enough he ended up jobbing in the blowoff to the feud.

No one has mentioned this bodyguard angle yet: Berlyn and The Wall. Of course with that one I don't really recall The Wall ever turning or anything. One day he was just wrestling matches.

I remember The Wall and Berlyn having a feud for about a half second, ending with The Wall squashing Berlyn on Thunder. But I don't remember why exactly they broke up.

Fake edit- Looked it up on DDTDigest...dumbass Russo booking. Anyways to elaborate, The Wall was wrestling Vampiro on the episode of Nitro the night after Mayhem. During the match, for whatever reason Berlyn hit Vampiro with a chair while The Wall had him in a chokeslam, causing Vampiro to get the DQ win. Understandably, The Wall got pissed and wouldn't let Berlyn leave the ring so Berlyn slapped him. Thus ending one of the most forgettable duos in wrestling history. I don't know who was supposed to be the babyface but Berlyn disappeared shortly thereafter and returned as Das Wunderkind six months or so later and The Wall would go on to greater things...sort of.