TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/3 - 12/6

Anyway, surprise nobody has said anything about USC deciding to wear their home jerseys on the road. For some reason it's a huge topic on ESPN. I don't think it's that big of a deal, just kind of make Carroll look like a jerk, but that's it.

That's not tough to do.

Anyway, surprise nobody has said anything about USC deciding to wear their home jerseys on the road. For some reason it's a huge topic on ESPN. I don't think it's that big of a deal, just kind of make Carroll look like a jerk, but that's it.

That's not tough to do.

How can anyone hate Carroll? I mean, I get USC, but Carroll himself has been pretty much the most laidback coach I've ever seen.

You can't hate Pete Carroll, unless you're a fan of one of the teams he routinely pounds. He goes into the hood in the middle of the night to talk to inner-city kids about going to college, and he had Lendale White fake jumping off the roof of a building as a gag. The guy was absolutely born to be a college football coach.

You can't hate Pete Carroll, unless you're a fan of one of the teams he routinely pounds. He goes into the hood in the middle of the night to talk to inner-city kids about going to college, and he had Lendale White fake jumping off the roof of a building as a gag. The guy was absolutely born to be a college football coach.

He probably has a ghetto pass gold card.

Looks like Charlie Weis is staying at Notre Dame. Probably a good move, a third high-profile firing in 10 years would have completely killed the program. I don't see them getting back to prominence anytime soon, though.

I don't want to feed into speculation, but Mike Leach was spotted visiting University of Washington officials. If he is offered the job and he accepts, I'll laugh.

Story here

The only reason I see that being possible is that at U-Dub, he would have a team that, with a good game plan and solid recruiting, is just as likely as any other in the Pac-10 to emerge as the conference's #2 program behind USC. Whereas if he stays at Texas Tech, he's going to be constantly running 3rd fiddle to Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12 south, not to mention the endless supply of money at T. Boone Pickens University.

But he isn't going to outrecruit Carroll. What does it matter if he finishes 2nd in the Pac-10? He basically finished tied for first in the Big 12 South. He has a scheme set in place at Tech, so people who would excel in his offense knows where to go. With Washington, he'd have to re-establish everything. It's a high risk/medium reward type situation. I'd stay at Tech if I were him.

In the Pac-10, there's one consistent, dominant program right now; in the Big XII South, there are two. He'd also be in charge of the premier program in the state, as opposed to being #2 behind Texas (and having A&M always lurking as well). He has a much better chance of making a Pac-10 team a permanent fixture at the top than he does in Lubbock, but I expect him to stay anyway--he's adored there, and Texas Tech will surely give him as big a raise as he could want. What they do for his assistants could be a sticking point, though.

Don't forget though, that Mack Brown could step down any time, and Texas could lose some of what made them consistently good. I think if Leach sticks around, he'd basically be in a similar yet better position than if he went to Washington. At least he has something going already at Tech. Tyrone Willingham was seen as a hot coach who was fired unfairly by Notre Dame, and he couldn't resurrect that UW program.

People forget that before Carroll arrived at USC, the premier program of the Pac-10 was Washington. But I'm sure Leech is just using it as leverage to get himself a raise at Tech that gets him to elite $3 million+/year salary level of college football coaches.

Bowl news: Georgia Tech is going to TBFKA the Peach Bowl and in a bit of surprise the Gator Bowl is inviting Clemson over Florida State.

And who's to say the architect of that program isn't going to do the same at UCLA? This is the first year on the job for him after all. We could see a lift in the next few years for UCLA. After thinking about it, I'd welcome Leach at UW. Anything that makes the Pac-10 more competitive.

Bowl news: Georgia Tech is going to TBFKA the Peach Bowl and in a bit of surprise the Gator Bowl is inviting Clemson over Florida State.

A bit of a surprise in terms of program prestige and record, but makes sense for the Gator Bowl: FSU was there in December 2005 (ACCCG), January 2007 (Gator Bowl vs. WVU), fall 2007 (neutral site vs. Alabama), and this past September (neutral site vs. Colorado). Although Florida State fans are generally central and northern Florida gutter trash, even they've probably run out of things to do in the state's least appealing coastal city. Clemson hasn't been in 8 years, so they'll bring 30,000 people, stay a couple nights, and make it more than a disinterested day trip.

People forget that before Carroll arrived at USC, the premier program of the Pac-10 was Washington. But I'm sure Leech is just using it as leverage to get himself a raise at Tech that gets him to elite $3 million+/year salary level of college football coaches.

I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out with this acronym stands for and I have no idea. I checked Google and got no luck there either.

The Bowl Formerly Known As...

I'm guessing the Peach Bowl is undergoing a new name that is unknown to Bored and many others (myself included).

The Chic-Fil-A Bowl?

Guest Vitamin X
And who's to say the architect of that program isn't going to do the same at UCLA? This is the first year on the job for him after all. We could see a lift in the next few years for UCLA. After thinking about it, I'd welcome Leach at UW. Anything that makes the Pac-10 more competitive.

I'd say that outside of the Arizona and Washington teams, the Pac 10 is fairly competitive; adding a good coach at U-Dub would be pretty cool, though, especially one who could manage a high powered offense like Mike Leach.

Oregon always seems to hang around every year too, don't forget- if they could get a QB that wasn't made of glass and that could see over his linemen, they'd be right up there.

The rumor mill is a-buzzing that Virginia coach Al Groh has been asked and subsequently has refused to fire his inept-ass son Mike, UVA's rather poor impression of an offensive coordinator. The powers that-be are still in discussions and have supposedly begun to pool money together to buy out Groh's contract. I have zero confidence that this will actually happen, and believe it's more likely that Al will somehow cross the streams and eat athletic director Craig Littlepage's soul, then order the soul to line up at tight end and run a 2-yard underneath route across two linebackers on 3rd-and-11.

Al will somehow cross the streams and eat athletic director Craig Littlepage's soul, then order the soul to line up at tight end and run a 2-yard underneath route across two linebackers on 3rd-and-11.

This just made me spray Dr. Pepper over my monitor and I have a cramp from laughing so hard.

Thanks...

Guest Vitamin X

I'd rank Oregon State ahead of Arizona State these days, actually. ASU has this tremendous habit of being crazy overrated every year and failing to meet expectations.

I'd say Oregon's ahead of Washington, but UW's a more enticing job than UCLA.