TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/3 - 12/6

So four years of 9+ wins (including 11-2 and 13-0 seasons), 6-1 in bowl games since 2002 and six previous straight wins over your rival provided no job security whatsoever, huh

Did I miss something here?

They got squashed this year and are trying to bring in Mike Leach from Texas Tech.

I dunno, I don't pay any attention to the undergoings-on of the Ehs-Eee-See, so his record (plus seeing some of his games here and there) is all I have to go on

The question now is who will snap him up... someone with that record surely can't stay unemployed for long

Fuck you Dama.

That is all.

What did I do? Oh, the sig? I thought it was funny. I'm sure you can easily find an anti-OU one about losing 4 straight BCS games to counter mine.

So in local news...

Rice has accepted the bid to the Texas Bowl and while the Big 12 does have a commitment to the bowl, there's been talk on local sports news that Notre Dame might come down and play.

To say I'm stoked is an understatement. Yes, I've been a Houstonian my entire life..but I grew up watching the ND game on NBC every Saturday and am more of a fan of them than Rice..

One more, Louisiana Tech is going to the Independence Bowl.

The Ball State to Humanitarian Bowl talks were all officially killed today and it appears very likely that Boise Sate will be going to the Poinsettia Bowl to play TCU so forget about the all undefeated match-up.

Hey, Rice has a pretty solid team. I could see it being an all-out offensive show but it'll more than likely be some low scoring affair and bore the hell out of me if I'm able to score tickets to it.

..ugh, fucker's already sold 50k in advance on it just being Rice alone..

So it seems our first "official" bowl match up is New Orleans: Troy vs. Southern Miss.

Who did Louisiana Tech replace in the Independence Bowl? I had it down as Big 12 vs. SEC...

Hal Mumme gone at New Mexico State: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...p&type=lgns

Remember when he and Mike Leach turned Tim Couch into an uber stud draft pick at Kentucky?

Found this quote interesting, "He also expressed concern about attendance and corporate support. Boston said New Mexico State is expected to narrowly meet the NCAA’s two-year attendance minimum, averaging 15,000 fans per game, to maintain membership in the Football Bowls Subdivision."

So it seems our first "official" bowl match up is New Orleans: Troy vs. Southern Miss.

Who did Louisiana Tech replace in the Independence Bowl? I had it down as Big 12 vs. SEC...

Could be either, as neither conference has enough teams to fill the game. It's #8 for the SEC, which has 8 teams eligible but will send 2 to the BCS; and #7 for the Big XII, which has 7 teams eligible but will also be sending a pair BCS-ward.

The SEC is going to be putting a 7-5 team in the Outback Bowl, probably 3-5 in-conference LSU. I hate their damn plethora of New Year's Day bowls.

So four years of 9+ wins (including 11-2 and 13-0 seasons), 6-1 in bowl games since 2002 and six previous straight wins over your rival provided no job security whatsoever, huh

Did I miss something here?

They got squashed this year and are trying to bring in Mike Leach from Texas Tech.

If Auburn lands Leach, the AU boosters better get ready for lazy recruiting and years of being ass-raped by Saban. :headbang:

Boise State vs Maryland in Humanitarian is a real possibility.. sheesh.

TCU vs Ball State would be awesome. TCU is about as legit a 2-loss mid major as you'll ever find.

If Bored's post is correct, it's BOISE STATE going to face TCU. Not Ball State.

I agree with Van Pelt, that it would have been better for Ball State and the MAC in the long run to go up and play Boise State, then playing Wisconsin in the Motor City Bowl.

Does Notre Dame need Louisville and Arizona State to lose this weekend to help their chances of going to a bowl game?

Oops, well I guess I'd rather see Boise face TCU than Maryland!

I agree with Van Pelt, that it would have been better for Ball State and the MAC in the long run to go up and play Boise State, then playing Wisconsin in the Motor City Bowl.

Does Notre Dame need Louisville and Arizona State to lose this weekend to help their chances of going to a bowl game?

No, I believe those teams both have 5 wins so it wouldn't matter. A bowl is only forced to take a team before ND if they have 7 wins. I think ND will be fine even if both of those teams win. A UL loss would probably helpmore, since ND is part of the BE's bowl selections.

So apparently Mike Gundy was on the local radio yesterday talking about how Mack Brown had no case and no leg to stand on. He said all the Big XII coaches agreed on the rules and tie-break scenarios before the season started. So Mack Brown knew the rules and agreed on them! He only started complaining because it didn't benefit him. I guarantee you if the shoe was on the other foot he'd say "The rules are the rules and we agreed on them. Suck it up Bob."

Guest Vitamin X

Interesting that Mike Gundy of all people would be defending his in-state rival. Texas wants a Big XII championship bid? THAT'S NOT TRUE

Found this quote interesting, "He also expressed concern about attendance and corporate support. Boston said New Mexico State is expected to narrowly meet the NCAA’s two-year attendance minimum, averaging 15,000 fans per game, to maintain membership in the Football Bowls Subdivision."

Don't they also have the longest bowl-free streak in D-IA?

Rice did, but I think that was over even before this year, so yep, I think NMSU does now.

Also, that 15,000 attendance rule is the WORST enforced rule the NCAA possibly has. MTSU barely averages 10,000 I would bet.

Oops, well I guess I'd rather see Boise face TCU than Maryland!

No, I believe those teams both have 5 wins so it wouldn't matter. A bowl is only forced to take a team before ND if they have 7 wins. I think ND will be fine even if both of those teams win. A UL loss would probably helpmore, since ND is part of the BE's bowl selections.

If Rutgers beats Louisville, Notre Dame will get have to an at large bid which appears to be the Texas Bowl. If Louisville beats Rutgers, Notre Dame will likely be invited to the Sun Bowl. The reason this is is because if Rutgers gets their 7th win, the Sun Bowl has to take a Big East team over Notre Dame. If Rutgers loses, there will only be four 7 win teams in the conference for five available slots thus the Sun Bowl can then pass on a Big East team in favor of Notre Dame.

Arizona State winning won't hurt Notre Dame but will hurt an eligible non-BCS conference team as the Pac-10 will have enough eligible teams to fill the Hawaii Bowl bid.

I feel pretty good for Mike Teel. I wasn't his biggest fan this year, but maybe he's trying to get drafted. 6 Touchdowns, 340+ yards in one half is pretty good.