TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/3 - 12/6

It's a pick-em in Vegas last I checked, so not that many people reeeeally think that. I think Cincinnati's the more complete and more consistent team, while VT has had a lot of big-time issues on offense all season and doesn't have quite the brick-wall defense they usually field. This screams something like 20-17 or 24-14 for whichever team wins.

Yeah when I say easy, I don't mean a blowout. That's a silly jumping of conclusions. Just a win for Cincinnati where they have maybe a 7+ point lead throughout the game from 2nd quarter onward or something, ending with a score similar to Edwin's prediction.

That makes more sense then. I think it depends on if VT cares they are in the game. Beamer said they weren't prepared last year, but Kansas was probably a better team last year than Cincy is this year too.

It's certainly a battle of interesting QBs, that's for sure. At least VT's only on their 2nd stringer.

That makes more sense then. I think it depends on if VT cares they are in the game. Beamer said they weren't prepared last year, but Kansas was probably a better team last year than Cincy is this year too.

It's certainly a battle of interesting QBs, that's for sure. At least VT's only on their 2nd stringer.

So is Cincinnati.

You also have to consider that Florida has also faced better defenses than Oklahoma. It goes both ways here. While Oklahoma can claim to have faced a better defense than Florida (TCU at #2 shockingly), it was at home. This one will be at a neutral site, and actually closer to Florida's home base.

You also have to consider that OU's defense has gone up against offenses that can put up points, maybe not on the level Florida is (since they're #3 in offense) but still it's not like an offense that can score and move the ball will be a huge shock.

And let's not forget that Florida has not faced a team on the same planet as OU's offense. Not even in the same universe. So we'll see how they react to the best offense they've seen all season.

Once again, it's going to be a high scoring game that will probably come down to turno.....wait neither team turns the ball over. Hell it'll come down to who has the ball last.

Ok question time. The most intriguing of the 4 traditional BCS Bowls? I really will have to go with the Rose Bowl since it's two highly ranked name teams. The Fiesta and Sugar look like blowouts and the Orange just seems like a snoozer to me.

You also have to consider that Florida has also faced better defenses than Oklahoma. It goes both ways here. While Oklahoma can claim to have faced a better defense than Florida (TCU at #2 shockingly), it was at home. This one will be at a neutral site, and actually closer to Florida's home base.

You also have to consider that OU's defense has gone up against offenses that can put up points, maybe not on the level Florida is (since they're #3 in offense) but still it's not like an offense that can score and move the ball will be a huge shock.

And let's not forget that Florida has not faced a team on the same planet as OU's offense. Not even in the same universe. So we'll see how they react to the best offense they've seen all season.

Once again, it's going to be a high scoring game that will probably come down to turno.....wait neither team turns the ball over. Hell it'll come down to who has the ball last.

2003 LSU Tigers say hello to the 2003 OMG GREATEST OU OFFENSE EVAH~! Oklahoma Sooners. Remember them?

Ok question time. The most intriguing of the 4 traditional BCS Bowls? I really will have to go with the Rose Bowl since it's two highly ranked name teams. The Fiesta and Sugar look like blowouts and the Orange just seems like a snoozer to me.

Orange, because I like VT and Cincy. Alabama/Utah will be intriguing until we all figure out how much better Alabama is. It won't be as bad as Georgia/Hawaii hopefully, but it'll be ugly. I don't care about Texas/OSU because it's a pretty obvious game. Rose will be good, just to see if PSU can score. (I hope they can)

2003 LSU Tigers say hello to the 2003 OMG GREATEST OU OFFENSE EVAH~! Oklahoma Sooners. Remember them?

The 2003 Sooners that had just lost their last game 35-7 to KSU? I remember them. What does that have to do with this year's OU team? Is Jason White going to lead OU out on January 8?

I do remember Jason White with his broken hand and broken foot. I also remember OU's leading rusher only having 800 yards.

Fast forward to this year with a healthy 4000 yard passer QB and two 1,000 yard rushers (one with 20 tds) and I see this OU team saying "So what? We could blow the doors off those guys and that LSU team."

Once again. OU has not seen a defense like Florida's. Meanwhile Florida has not seen an offense anywhere close to OU's. Everyone seems to be assuming it will go Florida's way and that OU's offense will completely fall apart. That's just a huge assumption. You could just as easily assume Florida's defense will buckle when faced with OU's offense and fall apart. Both assumptions are equally as valid. You've just chosen to assume in Florida's direction.

I'm not assuming in either direction however.

Alabama/Utah will be intriguing until we all figure out how much better Alabama is.

I think it will happen quicker than Georgia/Hawaii. This defense is better than Georgia's and Hawaii's offense is better than Utah's. I think it'll be a smashing of epic proportions.

I think the big problem for Georgia/Hawaii was how much bigger Georgia was on the lines.. and Alabama is just as big on the lines. I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right. I just am hoping for some decent bowl games this year. Alabama 45 Utah 13 sounds about right, though.

Orange, because I like VT and Cincy. Alabama/Utah will be intriguing until we all figure out how much better Alabama is. It won't be as bad as Georgia/Hawaii hopefully, but it'll be ugly. I don't care about Texas/OSU because it's a pretty obvious game. Rose will be good, just to see if PSU can score. (I hope they can)

The 2003 Sooners that had just lost their last game 35-7 to KSU? I remember them. What does that have to do with this year's OU team? Is Jason White going to lead OU out on January 8?

Because Dama talked them up big time then. And he's talking them up big now. Both will end in disappointment at the hands of a SEC defense.

Well, he would be wrong to talk them up after they lost 35-7 and were playing a great defense. Now, they are coming off, what, FIVE straight 60 point games and going up against an above average defense? It's okay for OU fans to think confidently about their offense. I think most people expect OU to score a bunch in this game.

Yeah you can be. I just don't see attacking him over his confidence and comparing it to a different situation five years ago. I can't wait to see the aftermath of this game either way. I hate both teams but reading forums after the game will be a treat.

First of all, I'm not attacking his confidence. I'm attacking the idea that he needs to defend his team every year before they shit the bed. Their last bowl victory was in 2005, over a decent but not elite Oregon team, quarterbacked by Ryan Leaf's kid brother. Forgive me for lacking the same confidence in Bob Stoops and Oklahoma.

That said, I have no investment either way. If Florida wins, they win. If Oklahoma wins, they win. The game I'm invested in is on January 1, on ABC.

It's more likely that Florida's defense stops OU a few more times than OU's defense stops Florida's offense. Whether it ends up 59-56 or not, if OU punts a couple of times they will lose.

Because Dama talked them up big time then. And he's talking them up big now.

You can't compare the 2003 Dama to today's Dama. Dama in 2003 certainly had much more fire and passion with a strong defense, but he had trouble putting points on the board... today's Dama, however, has a more mature offense ready to throw the quick strikes that can wear other posters down during the game

Now, if we compare 2005 Porter to the Porter of today...

How the fuck do you even figure the Rose Bowl to be for half of the National Title when both teams are outside the top 3? Face it, Florida wins, they're unanimous champs..same if OU wins. Not even Texas has a shot at being a split champion...and last time I checked, they've only got one loss too.

While I don't agree that the Rose Bowl decides the other half, Texas beating Ohio State doesn't hold as much weight as USC beating Penn State would or Penn State beating USC would, considering both USC and Penn State already have beaten Ohio State this season.

Now, if we compare 2005 Porter to the Porter of today...

Yeah? I want to hear your analysis on that. Am I stagnant?

In the interest of avoiding having to conceive any more football/poster analogies... yes

Later, Porter was placed on two years probation for assorted board rule violations, in addition to taking questionable payments from Bored