TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/3 - 12/6

I really don't see how that's a "You fucking kidding me?" moment or anything like that. It's been proven that winning the Heisman is a very large distraction when it comes to the bowl game. Sweet Christmas......

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. "It's been proven..." Really? That's news to me. Who proved it?

Bowl games typically match up two even teams. Therefore, the Heisman winner's team only has about a 50% chance of winning their bowl game. That's why recent Heisman winners have lost their last game. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they received some stupid trophy one month before.

Not news to me. I believe in the Heisman curse. Just like I believe in all the others curses or jinxes. I'm superstitious when it comes to sports. Sorry if you don't like that or something.

But you say it's "proven" like it has been scientifically proven that it effects the Heisman winner. Like we have cold hard evidence to show that such a thing exists. It being "proven" and it being some dumbass theory concocted in your head are two different things.

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: UZI Suicide.

· View this post

· Un-ignore UZI Suicide

Well that was easy.

BTW.....a dumbass theory concocted in my head? Like I just made the Heisman Curse up and somehow retroactively got it talked about in all media outlets over the past few years? Yeah........ok.........

Don't know why I just typed that. I won't be able to read your flammatory response.

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: UZI Suicide.

· View this post

· Un-ignore UZI Suicide

Well that was easy.

BTW.....a dumbass theory concocted in my head? Like I just made the Heisman Curse up and somehow retroactively got it talked about in all media outlets over the past few years? Yeah........ok.........

Don't know why I just typed that. I won't be able to read your flammatory response.

So some guy in the media comes up with a hairbrained theory that there is a "Heisman Curse" and you latch onto it and that means it's proven? The key word here is PROVEN. If you can prove that winning the Heisman has a negative effect, then great. If some guy said, "Say, the last couple of Heisman winners lost their bowl game.. this must be a curse!" then it is not proven.

I don't care if you're ignoring me (and I don't believe you are), this needed to be said.

Who said anything about blaming Mullen? In fact, I can guarantee you more than a few people in Gainesville are thrilled about Mullen leaving.

How much control does he really have over the offense? Obviously you're closer to the program and hear more than the rest of us that just have to rely on the major media outlets.

Because the major outlets make it sound like Urban Meyer is the genius behind the offense. So I mean is losing Mullen really that big of a blow in the grand scheme of things if Meyer is the one pulling the strings? Just kind of curious about the whole situation.

Mullen is the Quarterbacks coach and is in charge of the play calling. Many Gator fans (myself included) have been extremely frustrated with his predictable playcalling and outright horrible calls at critical times. Ironically, the year Florida won the national championship was the year most people were calling for his head. Florida would routinely jump out to early leads only to be squandered by insanely conservative and predictable playcalling. He has been better since Tebow took over, but I've still been seeing some suspect play calling at times.

Mullen is a pretty solid recruiter, so losing him will definitely hurt on that front. As far as the offense goes I think most coordinators in the country could succeed with the likes of Tebow, Harvin, etc.

I don't like ignoring people. I value all opinions. I am questioning why you are so down on your team. Maybe they are good enough to overcome their best player winning a trophy a month before a game. Think confidently.

I think Jason White is the last Heisman winner to play a bad game in the national title game. Reggie Bush lost his title game but I don't think anyone would blame him, besides that little stupid shovel toss to a teammate he tried for some unknown reason.

Basically, it's been a while. Most Heisman winners don't play in the title game, it seems. At least lately. I'm probably forgetting someone obvious.

I don't like ignoring people. I value all opinions. I am questioning why you are so down on your team. Maybe they are good enough to overcome their best player winning a trophy a month before a game. Think confidently.

I think Jason White is the last Heisman winner to play a bad game in the national title game. Reggie Bush lost his title game but I don't think anyone would blame him, besides that little stupid shovel toss to a teammate he tried for some unknown reason.

Basically, it's been a while. Most Heisman winners don't play in the title game, it seems. At least lately. I'm probably forgetting someone obvious.

Yeah, Troy Smith's game was 10x worse than White's. And Smith wasn't even injured!

I'm down on my team because they've lost 4 straight BCS bowl games and got run off the field in their last national title games. Basically I don't want to get my hopes up because of their track record. I don't want to be horribly disappointed again.

I'm probably forgetting someone obvious.

Yeah. Troy Smith is the one. Well, he was a fraud too. I think Bradford deserved his, at least. Troy Smith and Jason White didn't. So, that's one thing going for Sam. Maybe he can break all these curses. Oklahoma has won a BCS title, at least. When they weren't expected to. Something tells me this game won't be 13-2, though. ;)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Doesn't that clown have a 30% win percentage @ Iowa State? Holy shit.

Well, it's not like he inherited the cream of the crop at Iowa State, but yes that seems to be a pretty terrible hire. I saw Herbstreit supporting it the other day because he was a great coordinator at Auburn and Texas. Ok, I was unaware success as a coordinator translated to success as a head coach. Especially when the proof that it didn't is right there at Iowa State!

Doesn't that clown have a 30% win percentage @ Iowa State? Holy shit.

Hey, he started 2-0 this year. And then lost 10 games in a row to finish 2-10. His winning percentage in two years of Cyclonin' it is actually .210.

I would be absolutely livid too if I were an Auburn fan... they got rid of Tommy Tuberville for that?

But but but....he was the defensive coordinator of the undefeated Auburn team! Not the head coach mind you, they got rid of that f'n bum, he was the defensive coordinator!

And he was also the defensive coordinator at the Texas team that won the national title! Not the head coach or Vince Young mind you, but the defensive coordinator!

I think Bob Stoops was a coordinator before coming head coach. Where do you think head coaches come from, trees? =P

I'm referring to the logic used here, not the fact that he was a coordinator.

Ball State's head coach Brady Hoke is the new head coach at SDSU. I did not see that coming. Why jump to SDSU besides the nicer weather?

I think Bob Stoops was a coordinator before coming head coach. Where do you think head coaches come from, trees? =P

I'm referring to the logic used here, not the fact that he was a coordinator.

The only logic I don't get is the fact he clearly has shown to be an incompetent boob, and then they fire someone who won 6 in a row against Alabama and had an undefeated season 4 years ago to bring him in. I disagree that "he was a good coordinator here" was part of the bad decision making.

Ball State's head coach Brady Hoke is the new head coach at SDSU. I did not see that coming. Why jump to SDSU besides the nicer weather?

C.R.E.A.M.

The school could triple Hoke's $240,000 salary, and it likely will pay $240,000 to buy out his Ball State contract, which runs through 2010, the newspaper reported.

I think it's a step up just to get in the Mountain West, where his team will play TCU, BYU, and Utah every year. If he can get a team to 12-0 in the MWC, they're going to the BCS, whereas he obviously didn't have much shot at that in the MAC given the pretty low level of opposition.

C.R.E.A.M.

The school could triple Hoke's $240,000 salary, and it likely will pay $240,000 to buy out his Ball State contract, which runs through 2010, the newspaper reported.

Yeah. It's definitely the money. He was shit on when it came to salary. I saw the comparison to the rest of the MAC and it was a joke.

Which sucks cause most of the team is coming back next year minus some of the O line. Even Davis is coming back.

I think it's a step up just to get in the Mountain West, where his team will play TCU, BYU, and Utah every year. If he can get a team to 12-0 in the MWC, they're going to the BCS, whereas he obviously didn't have much shot at that in the MAC given the pretty low level of opposition.

Yeah, the Mountain West is like... Upper Mid Major really.

So all hell is breaking loss for the Gene Chizik hire at Auburn, and rightfully so:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog...rn=ncaaf,128957

Any truth to this story about Turner Gill getting turned down because he's a black guy with a white wife? Not good in Alabama?

I have a hard time believing there could be many other reasons. Maybe Gill asked for too much money, and they wanted a cheapie since they still have to pay out Tuberville's remaining contract, or maybe he just wanted to wait a year to see if any better jobs opened. Of course, I'm also not willing to rule out "they're just really, really stupid," considering that they canned Tuberville in the first place.

The MAC can't compete with the pay you can find in the Mountian West, and things worked out well for Urban Myer when he moved from Bowling Green to Utah.

I'm jealous of Buffalo's sucess as Kent State alumni, and I wanted Syracuse to hire him as an Orange fan, but I don't know if Turner Gill has really proven himself as a great hire yet. Sure, he's done a great job one of the worse programs in the FBS to MAC Champions, but this year's UB team is one of the luckiest of all time. They pretty much won the MAC East by default, winning 4 games in OT and one on a hail mary, and benefited from some timely fumbles run back for TDs in the MAC Championship.