TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - December 2008

I like how WWE actually has a "WWEFanNation" youtube channel to officially post stuff like a Goldust Christmas and what not. I remember last year there was a small net rumour that WWE had a youtube account as there was one particular account that posted a lot of stuff and was never "copyright violation" blocked like the others.

Source: Wrestling Observer

- New SmackDown Superstar Kizarny has already got out on the wrong foot as key people in WWE have soured on him. Add Kizarny to the list of people John Laurinaitis has heat on him for backing. Kizarny had matches with MVP at WWE's live events last week where MVP was booked to take the whole match and then do a fluke loss to keep his losing streak alive. It was described internally as the perfect example of having someone win and bury him at the same time.

Why does WWE always show in Rumble commercials, the tag team battle royal from WM14? Do they realize it's not from a Royal Rumble, or do they show it, cuz the begin has a lot of people in the ring scrapping together?

Burchill and Katie Lea were switched to the brand of unwanted toys (aka ECW) permanently. Since it's still taped with Raw, it's not much of a difference, but it will give Burchill one last hope at keeping his job. I'd like to see Burchill join forces with Mark Henry - I think it would be a pretty badass pairing.

Seeing he was given a good show of offense against Gabriel and wasn't pissed with his finisher, you have to figure Gabriel and Burchill will have a feud of sorts. I have to assume Burchill will break out his "We're both British, but your more like Elton John whereas I'm Jack the Ripper" line he used on Gabriel while both were feuding in OVW.

Katie and Victoria could also scrap in a rare ECW women's match now as well.

Or a Smackdown one. The only good for me in this is Katie Lea getting to work the Smackdown women since ECW has "talent exchanges" with both other brands.

As for Paul Burchill, he was screwed when forced to drop the pirate shtick. He doesn't have much upside left in WWE without it.

He probably meant Victoria Crawford, AKA Alicia Fox, although most people would think he meant the Smackdown diva.

Yup. Her FCW/real name is stuck in my head - Victoria Crawford. I meant Alicia Foxx vs Katie Lea.

While I didn't like Burchill becoming the pirate initially, dropping it was way worse because fans stop caring if you are tried in so many gimmicks. Burchill was badass when he debuted out of the crowd, and his highlight packages from British feds shows you how handcuffed he is in the wwe. There was talk at one point of re-debuting him as a football(soccer) hooligan character before I assume Vince got around to seeing Cruel Intentions (which came out in 1999, meaning Vince will see the basis of Pirate Paul's character 3-4 years from now when he finally sees POTC).

Also from the observer -

-- John Cena's merchandise numbers for 2008 were the best of anyone in the history of the company with the exception of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin during his peak years and Hulk Hogan in the 1980s.

That's pretty damn impressive, especially in today's market. I bet it was by a wide margin over second place as well. Austin was making his bank while wwe ratings were doubled.

Also from the observer -

-- John Cena's merchandise numbers for 2008 were the best of anyone in the history of the company with the exception of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin during his peak years and Hulk Hogan in the 1980s.

And as described by Meltzer directly after the statement, proof positive they won't even think of turning Cena or changing his gimmick any time soon.

I was about to say the same thing. A lot of that is because they charge more money now and have a shit ton more things to sell.

Why does WWE always show in Rumble commercials, the tag team battle royal from WM14? Do they realize it's not from a Royal Rumble, or do they show it, cuz the begin has a lot of people in the ring scrapping together?

It would be the latter, I assume. Plus, if it's the footage I think it is, then it's the opening seconds of the match where everyone is entering the ring at the same time and then they start fighting, rather than just everyone already standing in the ring doing boring, standard battle royal stuff. And it actually is 30 guys at once, too.

--The Universal HD station is now airing WWE programming on Saturday nights starting at 7 p.m. with replays of both Raw and ECW

From today's WO update. A slice of good news for people who have this channel but not USA/SciFi in HD. As a Time Warner customer, heavens knows I need some good news.

Also from the observer -

And as described by Meltzer directly after the statement, proof positive they won't even think of turning Cena or changing his gimmick any time soon.

How much longer can they keep this up for, though?

--The Universal HD station is now airing WWE programming on Saturday nights starting at 7 p.m. with replays of both Raw and ECW

From today's WO update. A slice of good news for people who have this channel but not USA/SciFi in HD. As a Time Warner customer, heavens knows I need some good news.

Wish they could do smackdown. I absolutely hate trying to track down clips of smackdown that havent been pulled..

Bastards. I had Universal HD all this time and they start doing this right after I finally get USA and Sci-Fi HD. Ironically enough, Universal HD was pulled from my lineup after the other two channels were added.

Still don't have MyNetwork TV HD here. Shit, we don't even have it at all.

Also from the observer -

How much longer can they keep this up for, though?

If the average kid buying his stuff/getting their parents to buy his stuff is around 8 years old, Cena can feasibly remain the exact same character he is now for the next 5-6 years. My guess is the children will turn on him completely in 3-4 years and WWE will keep him as is for the next 7-8 years.