Mo Vaughn

Matt Williams

Rickey Henderson

Tim Raines

Bert Blyleven

Mark McGwire

Alan Trammell

Andre Dawson

Henderson is obvious. Raines was a great, great player. Blyleven I'm sure we've discussed a dozen times. McGwire is deserving based on the numbers. I choose not to led the PEDs influence his worthiness, but the other argument is perfectly. reasonable. Trammell contributed more across the board than most power hitters. Dawson I think deserves induction based on being a power-hitting, gold glove center fielder in his prime.

Since this is the Hall of Fame thread, I can not emphasize enough how bad a selection Jim Rice would be. He put up big numbers in a couple of seasons as a right handed hitter in Fenway Park. His stats have been cherry picked to make him look more impressive. On the whole, he was no better than Greg Luzinski, George Foster, or a bunch of other contemporary power hitters nowhere near the Hall.

Guest Czecherbear

Oh, Matt Williams is not one of the greatest ever to play the game of baseball, is he? No to Gracie as well.

Worth noting that next Monday the Veteran's Committee results will be announced. It's split into two categories, Post-1943 and Pre-1943.

Post-1943

Dick Allen

Gil Hodges

Jim Kaat

Tony Oliva

Al Oliver

Vada Pinson

Ron Santo

Luis Tiant

Joe Torre (career as a player only)

Maury Wills

Pre-1943

Bill Dahlen

Wes Ferrell

Joe Gordon

Sherry Magee

Carl Mays

Allie Reynolds

Vern Stephens

Mickey Vernon

Bucky Walters

Deacon White

Re: Veterans Committee. I think Santo is going to miss out once again. Apparently the HOFers can vote for four players out of a ballot of ten. Six of those players have arguments as at least borderline Hall of Famers. When all the players are of similar quality, it is hard for a group to reach a consensus. This process really needs a runoff.

As far as the pre-1943 group goes, I have a feeling that Joe Gordon gets elected.

I want Henderson, Dawson, Raines and Blyleven to make it in on the writer's ballot. I'm guessing it's going to be Henderson and Rice.

I'm also curious to know who makes it off the Veteran's Committee ballots.

Pre-1943...Stephens and Reynolds would be my picks.

Post-1943...I really hope Santo makes it. I don't really think Hodges is worthy, but as a Dodger fan it would be nice to see him get in. Torre will be in sooner or later.

What's the deal with Santo? I know a little bit...there was some drama in his final season with the White Sox but I don't know any specifics. IIRC, he was not one of the most talkative players in the world towards the media...but what did he do that dropped him off the ballot so quickly? How was he considered when he played? Most analyses I have seen have him better than Brooks Robinson. Santo definitely was better with the bat, but how was his fielding? I know he won 4 Gold Gloves but wasn't the defensive wizard Brooks was. Why is he not in? Is it the short career? Media issues? People unwilling to put a 4th HOFer (Banks, Williams, Jenkins) from a team that never won anything? Collapsing down the stretch in 1969 with the rest of the Cubs? Numbers don't look that great because he played in the 60's? He was one of the best players of the 60's, definitely the 2nd best if not the best third basemen in that time, probably top 10 of all time...all this while dealing with freaking diabetes...I just don't see how he's still out.

Ron Gant and The Vaughn Bros. hopefully get a decent amount of votes... like those guys.

I see McGwire having having to wait another year or two.

Can't wait to see Rickey's speech, and hopefully Tommy John by some miracle makes it.

I don't understand why Dave Parker isn't in. No, he didn't hit 500 homers, but has a ton of hits, played great defense, and was a feared hitter during his era.

Blyleven should finally get in too...when he retired, he was third all time on the strike outs list.

I don't understand why Dave Parker isn't in. No, he didn't hit 500 homers, but has a ton of hits, played great defense, and was a feared hitter during his era.

I like Parker for the Hall. But if you check his stats, there's a significant dropoff in his age 29-31 seasons...right in his prime. It turned out that Parker had got hooked on cocaine. It affected his health to the point where he began to have injuries that cost him many games over those three seasons. Prior to that he had two batting titles and an MVP. After that time frame he had a couple of big seasons with the Reds. If he had hit close to his glory years in Pittsburgh and the two seasons with the Reds, he might be a better candidate. He'd probably be in already.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Dave_Parker

What's the deal with Santo? I know a little bit...there was some drama in his final season with the White Sox but I don't know any specifics. IIRC, he was not one of the most talkative players in the world towards the media...but what did he do that dropped him off the ballot so quickly? How was he considered when he played? Most analyses I have seen have him better than Brooks Robinson. Santo definitely was better with the bat, but how was his fielding? I know he won 4 Gold Gloves but wasn't the defensive wizard Brooks was. Why is he not in? Is it the short career? Media issues? People unwilling to put a 4th HOFer (Banks, Williams, Jenkins) from a team that never won anything? Collapsing down the stretch in 1969 with the rest of the Cubs? Numbers don't look that great because he played in the 60's? He was one of the best players of the 60's, definitely the 2nd best if not the best third basemen in that time, probably top 10 of all time...all this while dealing with freaking diabetes...I just don't see how he's still out.

I suspect the voters were simply not overwhelmed by Santo's counting statistics. Much Santo's value came from walks and defense. Neither skill is usually evaluated properly by the BBWAA.

He was my dads favorite baseball player. I use to hear stories about him all the time.

My dad would always tell me about his legendary arm, and how far he was able to throw.

I don't know if the Parker cocaine stuff has ever been proven. He claims he had leg injuries during that period. Wouldn't surprise me either way. Even with the drop off in the middle of his career, his numbers are still impressive.

Actually it turns out he admitted to using coke, so that's not in dispute.

Also not in dispute is that the hockey mask look was pretty bad ass.

I hope that Jack Morris makes it to the HOF. I want to see Andre Dawson and Blyleven in there as well. I do think that Rice makes it out of pity like someone else mentioned.

Echoing the sentiments of everyone else, I also can't wait to hear Rickey's speech. What team would he go into the Hall with? Athletics or Yankees?

I hope as an Athletic. That's the team I always think of when I think of Rickey, personally.

And I really hope the writers finally do the right thing and put Blyleven in. It was kind of amusing...yesterday on MLB on XM, they were talking with Vida Blue, and Bert's name came up. When the hosts were reading Blyleven's accomplishments to Vida, it sounded like he was about falling out of his chair, about how this guy still isn't in the Hall.

If the Hall of Fame decided to have RICKEY~ wear a Yankees cap on his plaque then I will have no other choice but to burn down Cooperstown. And I'm not just talking about the HOF, but the whole damn town! There's no chance he goes in with any other cap than the A's.

I've been sifting through some of RICKEY's~ best games and this game might be the ultimate RICKEY~ game. Four plate appearances, four walks, four runs, five stolen bases.

Re: Veterans Committee. I think Santo is going to miss out once again. Apparently the HOFers can vote for four players out of a ballot of ten. Six of those players have arguments as at least borderline Hall of Famers. When all the players are of similar quality, it is hard for a group to reach a consensus. This process really needs a runoff.

As far as the pre-1943 group goes, I have a feeling that Joe Gordon gets elected.

You called it. Gordon was the only player elected from either ballot. Santo came closest on the post-'43 ballot but actually received fewer votes than he did in 2007.