TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

UFC 93: Franklin vs. Henderson

Hey now, Dan is the only man in UFC history to win a round against Anderson Silva.

[devil's advocate] don't forget Cote [/devil's advocate]

In what parallel universe did this happen in?

Weigh-in thoughts...

- 170 is for sure the right weight class for Kampmann. Came in a pound under and looked shredded. His height and reach will cause problems at that class.

- Davis looked in great shape

- Horn getting the sympathy pop was sad

- Shogun looked in the best shape of his career but it reaffirmed what many are saying which is 185 would be a better weight

- No SIMS?! No Randleman!? Fuck you, Coleman. That's who I wanted to see with you.

- Franklin looked significantly bigger then Hendo

Really looking forward to Davis vs Lytle. Chris has never really won a big fight in the UFC, if he doesn't pull this one off I could see him gone.

I'm done betting on Jeremy Horn, I only get let down

Franklin def. Henderson via Unanimous JD

- I think Franklin picks Dan apart on their feet with a more diversified arsenal, while Dan settles for winging punches in between shots. If Rich's jab is still as wide and awkward as it has been in the past, Dan has an opening to land a straight right down the pipe... but will more likely keep the punch arching telegraphed.

Rua def. Coleman via TKO, Rd.2

- The only reason I'm giving Coleman the credit of at least lasting a round is that despite being an old, worn down, relatively one-dimensional wrestler coming off a 2 year+ layoff is that Shogun is likely to take a few minutes to warm back up into the groove of things and find the accuracy in his strikes he developed during his GP run, and difference in wrestling is still enormous.

Kang def. Belcher via submission, Rd.2

- I don't think Belcher has the offensive output or physicality to earn Kang's respect, who simply uses his brute strength to batter him standing, take him down, and set up a submission as Belcher looks for a way out.

Palhares def. Horn via submission, Rd.1

- Meh. Horn is done as a relevant fighter, and while predictable, Palhares has the skills to make Horn look that much more done.

Davis def. Lytle via TKO, Rd.2

- This actually should provide the stand-up war everyone expects, as Davis won't be eager to test his jitz against Lytle, while Lytle doesn't have the wrestling to take Davis down as often as he'd like. I expect both guys to land a fair deal, but I think Davis' step-in jab will land more often, which will make the difference in the fight: Lytle's skin giving in sooner than Davis'.

Kampmann def. Barros via TKO, Rd.1

- I honestly haven't seen much of Barros from the last few years, but if he's still the same fighter he was prior, I expect Kampmann to put on a standing clinic, using his height and reach to tag Barros at will in almost hilarious fashion.

Drwal def. Serati via KO, Rd.1

- Neither guy is all that good, but Drwal is at least tough and effective in his awkward European way.

Hathaway def. Egan via TKO, Rd.1

- I have no real insight on Egan outside of what you can read elsewhere, so I'll simply pick Hathway due to experience and a stylistic advantage.

Schafer def. Mendes via submission, Rd.1

- While Mendes isn't quite as unskilled as Houston Alexander, he also doesn't have Houston's KO power, his takedown defense isn't even good enough to stop Schafer's sluggish shot, and the difference in skill on the mat is still far in Schafer's favor.

Siver def. Mohr via submisson, Rd.2

- Despite fancying himself a slugger, I think Siver will break the typical European mold and actually look to capitalize on his opponent's weakness, and take Mohr out on the mat.

Franklin vs Henderson

This is a crossroads fight for Henderson. While Franklin pretty much maintains his status with a loss, I could see Henderson dropping down to gatekeeper status with a loss here.

Winner-Henderson unanimous decision- Dan's wrestling keeps Franklin off-balance and he gets the better of the standup exhanges.

Rua vs Coleman

I think this is a bad matchup for Rua. I think Rua will be overly agressive given his history with Coleman and get caught.

Winner- Coleman RD 1 3:25- Dana's nightmare scenario comes true.

Kang vs Belcher

Winner-Kang RD 1 2:08 RNC

Palhares vs Horn

Winner-Palhares Unanimous decision- Horn has enough left to survive.

Davis vs Lytle

Winner- Lytle 1st RD KO 2:49- I think Lytle wins the exchanges and ends it with an overhand right.

Kampmann vs Barros

Winner Kampmann RD 2 KO 1:05

Drwal VS Serati

Winner Serati split decision

My GF has a huge hangover so I am trying to convince her to stay in bed until 6 pm, so I can go to the bar to watch this............

And it's her B-Day. Don't know if I have the balls to pull it off!

Davis/Lytle was a pretty good 'stand & bang' fight, though certainly not the legendary war they tried to hype it as. No idea how one judge gave it to Lytle, Davis was clearly outstriking him for all of the last two rounds aside from one or two decent punches by Lytle.

They'll probably keep him around long enough to keep their Korean profile up until some more ACTUAL Koreans manage to hone their skills to a UFC worthy level.

Kang/Belcher:

Kang sure likes giving opponents submissions, doesn't he. Dived into a triangle vs Mousasi, now he dives straight into a guillotine by Belcher. If Denis wasn't done as a top middleweight already he probably is now, he hasn't done anything worth a damn since 2006.

Good defensive ground work by Horn. As for Toquinho, he really needs to add a new wrinkle to his game if he wants to break into the upper echelon of the division. At least some better G&P.

Hathaway/Egan went as expected, in an slightly-entertaining, amateurish fashion. I felt bad for Egan, as he was simply a kid being thrown into the cage way too early, simply to give the fans an Irishman to cheer for.

Good performance from Horn in defeat, while Palhares still has a long way to go to be among the top middleweights. He looked gassed, his homeless man's Cung Le-striking still doesn't impress anyone, and when he couldn't get the submission he didn't offer much else on the ground either. As for as middleweights with excellent jiu jitsu go he's a long way behind Leites and Maia at the moment.

And Hathaway completely dominated Egan, i don't think Egan did a single thing all fight except get beat up.