TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

2008 TSM Comic Book Awards?

Anyone want to do it? We're closing in on the last few months, and this year has certainly had its share of great books. If so, how many categories, and how many nominees?

That sounds like a pretty fun idea. The categories are simple we could just go with the usual ones, Best Book, Best Mini, Best Writer, Best Artist, Best Hero, Best Villain, Best Moment, you know the typical stuff. I'd say four or five should be the amount of nominees.

There really aren't enough people who regularly visit this folder to have voting. It might be easier to just post our own opinions and argue like the nerds we are.

That sounds like a pretty fun idea. The categories are simple we could just go with the usual ones, Best Book, Best Mini, Best Writer, Best Artist, Best Hero, Best Villain, Best Moment, you know the typical stuff. I'd say four or five should be the amount of nominees.

Best Book: All-Star Superman

Best Mini: Reserved until I read SI #8.

Best Writer: Tie- Geoff Johns/Dan Slott

Best Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

Best hero: Iron Man

Best Villain: Skrulls

Best Moment: Bucky becomes the new Cap

Best Cover: Invincible #50

Best Publisher: Image

Sadly, I can't even really comment since I mostly read the older books I find. But I do want to add my two sense:

Worst Writer: Joss Whedon for beeing constantly and consistently late on ALL of his books.

Best Book: Justice Society of America/Green Lantern(tie)

Best Mini: Sinestro Corps War

Best Writer: Tie- Geoff Johns

Best Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

Best hero: Kingdom Come/Earth-22 Superman

Best Villain: Sinestro

Best Moment: Return of Barry Allen (Final Crisis)

Best Cover: Invincible #50

Best Publisher: DC/Dark Horse(tie)

Should be one for worst series and worst mini. In that case, Marvel would sweep both with Red Hulk and Ultimates 3/Secret Invasion :P

Um, give nominees for now; voting in secret (though it seems fairly obvious for more than a few of the categories who is going to win ;) ) via PM. Good names for awards would be neat as well. For example:

Jeph Loeb/Judd Winnick Memorial Award for Character Destruction (Author/Character Category)

The "Geoff Johns Retooling" Award for Most Improved Character (Author/Character Category)

The "So Wait, They CLONED THOR?!" Award for Worst Moment

Jeph Loeb/Judd Winnick Memorial Award for Character Destruction: Jeph Loeb - EVERY MEMBER OF THE ULTIMATES

The "Geoff Johns Retooling" Award for Most Improved Character: Greg Pak - The Hulk... it's a shame Loeb had to turn it all to shite.

The "So Wait, They CLONED THOR?!" Award for Worst Moment: Red Hulk

This would be cool to do. So are we just going to do the nominations right now or throw out our selections for each?

Best Book: Tiny Titans by Art Baltazar and Franco. Seriously, this is probably one of the best books your not reading. It's fun, it's smart, and its aimed at kids. I'd also like to give a shout out to The Spirit, as Darwyn Cooke and now the Sergei Aragones/Mike Ploog/Paul Smith team have been delivering great single issue stories.

Best Mini: Secret Invasion. Good goofy super hero fun.

Best Writer: Matt Fraction. His Punisher War Journal is solid, as well as his collaborative projects with Brubacker.

Best Artist: John Romita Jr. Go read Kick-Ass... I never knew he could draw splatterhouse gore.

Best hero: Booster Gold

Best Villain: Norman Osborn

Best Moment: Batman thanking Booster Gold for trying to stop the Joker from crippling Barbara Gordon.

Best Cover: 300px-Marvel_Comics_Presents_Vol_2_5.jpg

I just love this one; it's full of energy. And it has a dinosaur fighting a sabretoothed cat.

Best Publisher: Marvel. As a company, I think they are firing on all cylinders. They've done a good job of highlighting their second-tier characters in the 616 line, Marvel Adventures is a solid group of kids titles, they are branching out into book stores with their Stephen King, Classics Illustrated and a strong TPB release schedule, and have been the most proactive comics publisher to start an online content set up. Plus, their Icon line (Kick-Ass, Powers and Criminal) is great.

Jeph Loeb/Judd Winnick Memorial Award for Character Destruction: Grant Morrison and Dan Didio. Here's the problem. Grant's a great avante garde concept writer who for the most part can do whatever he wants. Unfortunately, he's conflicting himself and the whole rest of the product line, thanks to DD's enabling.

The "Geoff Johns Retooling" Award for Most Improved Character: Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente's Hercules. Seriously, they have me buying a monthly Hercules book.

The "So Wait, They CLONED THOR?!" Award for Worst Moment: Ultimate Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being incestuous.

The "So Wait, They CLONED THOR?!" Award for Worst Moment: Ultimate Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being incestuous.

wait... what?!?

These are my nominees

Best Book: Captain America

Best Writer: Tie- Geoff Johns & Ed Brubaker

Best Artist: Ivan Reis

Best hero: Green Lantern

Best Villain: Sinestro

Best Moment: Anit-Monitor, Superman-Prime, Cyborg Superman, and Sinestro reveal the Sinestro Corps

Best Publisher: DC

Worst Moment: The clone of Thor, or Clor if you will

These are my nominees

Best Moment: Anit-Monitor, Superman-Prime, Cyborg Superman, and Sinestro reveal the Sinestro Corps

Worst Moment: The clone of Thor, or Clor if you will

Those are all from 2007 though.

I thought that they ran as part of their respective series from 07 through 08. If I need to change them I will.