TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

I just deleted everything on my computer

Computer was super-slow so I did a hard shut down.

Windows wouldn't start so it took me to the "Start windows normally/safe mode" blah blah etc. screen.

Chose safe mode, didn't work. Nor did Start normally or use settings that last worked.

So then when the Compaq screen came up, I pressed F10 for recovery mode.

Went through the whole recovery process, took about 20 minutes.

Little did I know that "recovery" means reformatting the disk, reinstalling Windows and deleting everything!

So now I'm fucked, I think. Is there any way to get my files and programs back? Sorry I couldn't be more specific, I'm a little frazzled.

Nope, it's all fuckin' gone. All my school papers, songs I composed on FL Studio, mp3s, videos, roms, MAFF CHAT LOGS, everything I've put on the C: drive of my computer for the last two years is gone forever. Is this destined to become my "Can you burn CDs without a CD burner" moment? Like, "Sensei John Kreese, he's the guy who didn't know Recovery means Delete Everything, lol." Maybe all the Apple geeks are right about this shit. Fuck you Microsoft, fuck you Compaq and fuck you The Simpsons for making fun of Mac users who have the right idea. TWO HUNDRED THIRTY BILLION DOLLAR MARKET CAP AND THEY CAN'T MAKE ONE SINGLE PRODUCT THAT ISN'T A FROTHING BAG OF SHIT.

My computer's done that quite a few times, but everytime i restart my computer a little pop up comes up asking me if I want to create "backup keys" which basically save all my documents, files and most of my programs. The only thing I lose is some programs i got online like Windows Live and stuff.

Guest Vitamin X
Nope, it's all fuckin' gone. All my school papers, songs I composed on FL Studio, mp3s, videos, roms, MAFF CHAT LOGS, everything I've put on the C: drive of my computer for the last two years is gone forever. Is this destined to become my "Can you burn CDs without a CD burner" moment? Like, "Sensei John Kreese, he's the guy who didn't know Recovery means Delete Everything, lol." Maybe all the Apple geeks are right about this shit. Fuck you Microsoft, fuck you Compaq and fuck you The Simpsons for making fun of Mac users who have the right idea. TWO HUNDRED THIRTY BILLION DOLLAR MARKET CAP AND THEY CAN'T MAKE ONE SINGLE PRODUCT THAT ISN'T A FROTHING BAG OF SHIT.

OH NO NOT THE MAFF CHAT LOGS

Sorry for your loss, dude. If it's any consolation, I had a similar issue happen to me earlier this year when I was building my new computer and swapping out my old hard drive for use in the new build- I thought I had backed up all my files (I have an 80GB external hard drive- something which I would strongly advise anyone with any sort of built up media collection on their computer to have, at minimum) and I wanted to reformat the drive because I was going to repartition the drives and I wanted to clean out any junk XP had stored over time. The backup actually didn't finish or got screwed up somehow and so that was corrupted (which necessitated a reformat of THAT drive as well) and my main internal HD went kaput as well.

And no Mac users don't have the right idea either. This can happen to anyone although admittedly Apple computers are a lot more idiot/foolproof than their competitors are, simply because of how difficult it is to mess with the BIOS and since it's a UNIX based system instead of DOS. My HP computer from a few years ago (hey look at that- you know Compaq is a subsidiary of HP right?) was notorious for having its hard drive reformatted every couple/few months because something would just fuck up and I'd get mad and want to start all over. Not even my old Dell gave me that many problems, but that may be because I got into building PCs during that time and so I was constantly upgrading stuff and being a little power user in Windows then too.

And also, not to kind of rub salt in the wound there, but the Windows XP disk (every computer it's installed on should have this, if not you could find the torrent for XP pretty easily online and use that as long as you have your license key) has two options for "recovery"- one of which would attempt to "repair" Windows by re-installing the files that are supposed to be there and the other of which would reformat your drive. Often times the problem with Windows boots can be repaired by doing the repair option, not losing any of your personal files in the process. Sorry!

If you're pissed with Windows, give Ubuntu a shot. I have a dual-boot going on my computer at home, and when I eventually get a laptop, I'll probably continue to do the same. Also, you might want to re-partition the drives if you get the chance; it helps if something messes up with Windows again in the future to have all your media stuff on a separate partition from your system/program files. Hit me up on AIM if you need help with setting that up.

I have most every Maff chat log going back to the original chats in '04... not that this helps Kreese in any way.

I have my HD partitioned into two separate sections, with one about 10-20G and only for the OS files and the other partition being used as storage for media, writings, etc. and then if I need to clean Windows I only wipe out the OS partition while the media partition is safe. I also have a guideline file that reminds me of all the things I need to do both before and after reinstalling