TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

The OAO Vs. Fighting Game Thread

Okay I apologize in advance if this thread dies a miserable death of inactivity and such, but I hope that the Vs. Fighting Genre is still popular enough around these parts to spark some fun discussion or some nostalgic reminiscing.

I'll start with what I'm currently playing and what I'm looking forward to...

Currently Playing:

- Melty Blood Act Cadenza PS2 (I don't think I'll ever stop playing this one)

- Castlevania Judgement

- MK vs DC (rented it again, still trying to buy it for a reasonable price)

- SSF2 HD Remix

Looking Forward To:

- Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii, Dec 11/2008 -- I was hoping that this would get a PS3 release.. and it may far into the future.. but I might just have to import it to satiate my hunger for pure awesomeness

- King of Fighters XII PS3, April 2009

- King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match PS2, 2009? -- no idea when this is going to be released but I've had fun with the other two KOF remakes (94 & 98) so bring this one on, sez I!

...and I'll end off with asking what your favourite fighting game is? Mine is still Street Fighter 2 Turbo (the Arcade version). I would love to own an actual cabinet of that game one day for my rec-room.

For me, Guilty Gear XX...it's so bizarre, has awesome music and odd yet interesting characters.

I also like the Dalkstalkers series as an alternative to all the Street Fighter and so and so vs. so and so Capcom games.

I was a big Virtua Fighter 2 fan, as well.

Ever since I downloaded SF HD Remix, I haven't played Gears 2. I also played Battle Fantasia on 360 recently. Online is dead, but it's still a fun game.

I met some people that live near me in HD Remix. Now they all want to go to Arcade Infinity.

I get the impression that there aren't that many fighter players on this board. It's my favorite genre, and I would love to play people here.

I am playing:

SF HD Remix

Arcana Heart

KoF 11

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum

Looking forward to:

KoF 98 Ultimate Match

SF 4

I actually just picked up Arcana Heart on PS2 last weekend. I haven't had much of a chance to get right into it but it kind of reminds of the old Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle for SNES.. only with a lot more depth.

Speaking of Guilty Gear.. anyone seen videos of BlazBlue yet? Looks pretty sleek!

Also - here is the KOFXII trailer and KOF2002 Unlimited Match footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUTaFRIJeg4...feature=related

I think it's safe to say we're all awaiting SF4, but I'm annoyed it won't get a Wii port. Capcom vs Tatsunoko will do for now.

I was going to start a SSFIITHDR thread- I'm surprised Thoth didn't- but this is probably a more fruitful endeavor.

I used to play a ton of fighting games, but aside from the Soul Calibur II on GameCube and a 2 week failed attempt at enjoying SF Anniversary Collection, the last time I played fighting games regularly was on the Dreamcast.

I downloaded SSFIITHDR and I suck ass at it. I was decent at the SNES version, but this one is challenging even on Easy. I'm only capable of winning with Ryu and Honda, it seems. I'm 1-9 in ranked matches and something like 20-60 in player matches (it doesn't keep track) but unlike Anniversary Collection, it's fun and not as frustrating. I use the control stick on the 360. No d-pad for me.

If we have enough players, we should get an 8 man tournament going. Otherwise, we can still form a room and go at it in the winner-moves-on format.

I got a lot of fun from Soul Calibur IV when it was released, but I haven't played it for some time now.

Probably the most-played fighting game I have ever owned is Street Fighter 2 for the Super Nintendo. My Dad and I used to play the hell out of that one. My Dad got so obsessive with it that sometimes, he would get home late from work and wake me up to come play him.

I was going to start a SSFIITHDR thread- I'm surprised Thoth didn't- but this is probably a more fruitful endeavor.

I used to play a ton of fighting games, but aside from the Soul Calibur II on GameCube and a 2 week failed attempt at enjoying SF Anniversary Collection, the last time I played fighting games regularly was on the Dreamcast.

I downloaded SSFIITHDR and I suck ass at it. I was decent at the SNES version, but this one is challenging even on Easy. I'm only capable of winning with Ryu and Honda, it seems. I'm 1-9 in ranked matches and something like 20-60 in player matches (it doesn't keep track) but unlike Anniversary Collection, it's fun and not as frustrating. I use the control stick on the 360. No d-pad for me.

If we have enough players, we should get an 8 man tournament going. Otherwise, we can still form a room and go at it in the winner-moves-on format.

Yeah, I wonder myself why I didn't start an all caps thread with me going crazy. Anyhow, I normally main Vega, but I've been playing with Fei Long, who is great because no one has any idea what to do against him, and they don't realize both his juggling and his range are improved. He goes through fireballs now!

Speaking of Fei Long, why does he always seem to miss the cut in all these SF vs. and Capcom vs. games as well as SF sequels?

EDIT: I see he's in the home version of SF4.

I feel moderately decent since I put together a 100-62 record on SFIITHDR while getting all the achievements. Hit my stride when I discovered I can play Cammy with some degree of competence. Backfist beats fireball!

And to reiterate my thoughts from the 360 thread, hooray for any reason to dust off the ol' Hori Stick.

Tried playing with Scroby last night. Internet did not want that to happen too much.

BTW Scroby, the first thing you when you play Ryu is jump back and throw fireballs. Most of the characters I play, if I see this coming, can take advantage of this.

I actually try to change it up a bit. I notice that most people do a quick power move right off the bat or jump forward and try to do a jumping attack. So if I get the feeling someone is gonna do that, I jump back and try to get a quick shot in.

I actually try to change it up a bit. I notice that most people do a quick power move right off the bat or jump forward and try to do a jumping attack. So if I get the feeling someone is gonna do that, I jump back and try to get a quick shot in.

You're better off firing a Jab DP. It gives you the offensive, plus a mental edge.

I managed to get my hands on a (not used) copy of MK vs DC for a good price.. Collector's edition for $60 at Walmart. I'm not sure if I said this before but I think this license is pretty cool and it's too bad that Midway is tanking right now.. I would've loved to have seen what they could do with more Versus games in the future. A friend and I were thinking that it'd be pretty rad if they did Mortal Kombat vs Movie Maniacs or Horror Icons or something like that. I mean SubZero vs Freddy or Scorpion vs Jason? That shit sells itself, and EVERYONE can have fatalities! :P

If only there were some way to get all the licensing together, they could make an all out Horror Monster Fighting Game:

Freddy

Jason

Michael Myers

Pinhead

Pumpkinhead

Leatherface

Chucky

Candyman

Leprechaun

a super powered Scream Ghost Person

Regan MacNeil

a super powered Norman Bates

The Devil's Rejects Crew

Old School Monsters:

Dracula

Frankenstein's Monster

Gillman

Wolfman

The Mummy

Throw in some suped up Hero-ish guys:

Ash

a super powered Tommy Jarvis

a super powered Laurie Strode

a super powered Nancy Thompson

Toxic Avenger

I'm sure there are plenty others I'm missing...but that would be a game purchased by many, I'm quite sure.

So, I now own like, almost the entire main KoF series in one way or another.

I bought the Orochi Saga for PS2, as well as 2000/2001, and XI, and I've got KoF '99 on the PS1 lying somewhere abouts in my room.

Whee.

I bought the Orochi Saga for PS2, as well as 2000/2001, and XI, and I've got KoF '99 on the PS1 lying somewhere abouts in my room.

Whee.

I assume you're missing 2002, 2003, and Neowave. You can get 02/03 for PS2, but Neowave was Xbox exclusive. I have many memories of Neowave, which had a fun little community for several months.

Whee.

I assume you're missing 2002, 2003, and Neowave. You can get 02/03 for PS2, but Neowave was Xbox exclusive. I have many memories of Neowave, which had a fun little community for several months.

Yeah, I know I can get 02/03, even though it goes for a pretty penny on eBay... the Nextwave thing annoys me, as I'll probably NEVER get an XBox, but I can deal. I also have both Maximum Impacts for some reason.

As far as other fighters, I'm a major Guilty Gear geek. Can't wait for BlazBlue. I don't mind SF much, but my anticipation for KoFXII is so much higher than my desire for SF4 it isn't funny.

I have Neowave on PS2.. it's an import, but it's legit. If you can play imports you can probably find a copy at Playasia.com

Neowave.jpg

If only there were some way to get all the licensing together, they could make an all out Horror Monster Fighting Game

Hell yeah that would be awesome. If Todd McFarlane could do it for action figures, someone must be able to do it for a videogame, dammit! :headbang:

Just to keep things going in here, what's everyone's fighter collection look like? I know we did a thread about entire game collections a while back but I figured it'd be cool to see who's got what in this thread. I'll post mine later.. too tired to start going through all of the game cases, heh. :lol:

I haven't played Tekken much in like 6 months. I watch more T6/BR match vids on youtube than actually playing now.

I'm way into Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. It's so much better than I thought it'd be it's ridiculous, biggest surprise of all time. Ed Boon redeemed. :headbang: It's not exactly what I'd objectively call a great game but I dig the 2D/3D hybrid they were going for. It's the mechanics and rules of a 3D fighter(juggles, sidestep, wakeup, mids, throws...) but feels 2D(strong special moves, zoning with projectile spam, useful jumping, a meter). It actually works. Well sort of...the 3D button is awkward and the animation and feel is still stiff and clunky but I got used to it. It's balanced relatively well. Most of the cast is completely viable. There's a top 5 who are too good but they're not game killing broke. The game is a patch away from being pretty well balanced(we'll see if that ever happens though).

I don't know if I'm going to play SF IV much. I mean I'm buying it but I don't know if I'll invest much into it.

Speaking of SF IV, California Regionals is about 10 days away, and I'm competing. A friend is filming it, and some other stuff, to make a video out of. I'll try to post it here if I can.

Where ins California? Obviously I wouldn't participate because I haven't played SF IV yet.

The location is Denjin Arcade, in Simi Valley.

I remember the old SF2 tournament days...never will you find a greater arrangement of BO in your whole life.

What do you mean the "old" days? It's still like that now, brudda.

Haha I bet...I haven't been to an arcade in quite a few years.

I guess I'm lucky. I live within an hour of several arcades: Family Fun Arcade, Denjin Arcade, Arcade Infinity... there's others I'm forgetting. All of these places have Street Fighter IV. I even got to try BlazBlue at Denjin. That game has the worst character design ever, and is unequivocally boring, in my opinion.