TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Worst Series of All Time

How about Andre vs. Big John Studd?

Oh good lord yes. Another famous series in wrestling history that was absolutely horrible. Now their '83 and '85 matches weren't sights for sore eyes but I saw an MSG match from their brief feud in '89 that ranks amongst the worst matches I've seen from a major promotion. I was going to post it here for you to revel in its awfulness but it looks like it's not on YouTube or DailyMotion.

Of course, we also can't forget that match they had at The Spectrum (I think in '83) with the nine minute headlock.

Cody Rhodes vs Hardcore Holly on Raw late last year. Nothing special match up wise, but they seemed to face off once a week for what felt like 6 months.

I remember those Ace Steel/Chad Collyer matches in ROH a few years back. Poor Ace bled a GUSHER to get Collyer over as some sort insane heel, but it just didn't work because Collyer's insanity just came off as goofy.

Cody Rhodes vs Hardcore Holly on Raw late last year. Nothing special match up wise, but they seemed to face off once a week for what felt like 6 months.

I believe it was only 3 weeks. But ya, the feud sucked.

I believe it was only 3 weeks. But ya, the feud sucked.

That's it?? Damn.

Kane vs. Big Show have feuded more than once and faced each other numerous times...not a good match in the bunch.

Yeah there was, an ECW title match they had a couple years ago. I still remember it because, well, you see a Show/Kane match that doesn't suck, it's a memorable thing.

A few more that come to mind:

-CM Punk vs Chavo Guerrero. How the hell were these matches so boring? It's gotten to the point where people now think of Chavo as a bathroom-break segment guy. Looking back over the years, how did that become possible?

-Rock vs Undertaker. If these guys ever had any match which wasn't 20 minutes of endless punching and punching and punching and punching and punching and punching and punching and punching and punching and punching and more punching, I haven't seen it.

-Candice Michelle vs Beth Phoenix. Ugh. Couldn't have a good match to save their lives. And sometimes Candice was so fuckin' sloppy that she looked like she was indeed trying to kill herself.

-Bret Hart vs WCW. Seriously, in two years, he didn't have enough worthwhile matches to count on two hands. What happened to that guy. Some of them were even shockingly bad, like that jaw-dropping abortion he and Sting shat out in the ring at Halloween Havoc 98.

-Mike Knox vs Tommy Dreamer. This feud stunk up many a Tuesday night.

-Road Dogg vs Billy Gunn. Any time they've done this match, it's always blown. Doesn't matter if it's 97 or 99 or 05 or 08, it's inevitably horrible.

-Bret Hart vs WCW. Seriously, in two years, he didn't have enough worthwhile matches to count on two hands. What happened to that guy. Some of them were even shockingly bad, like that jaw-dropping abortion he and Sting shat out in the ring at Halloween Havoc 98.

Sting's beard didn't help either.

I'm glad someone mentioned the Raw 03 combo of boredom with Booker/Christian and Steiner/Test. Both of those feuds were awful and never wanted to end.

Kane and Show's match on Raw a couple years ago (during the May 19th angle I believe) where they chain-wrestled for 5 minutes makes up for every bad match they've ever had.

Since the discussion has moved to include the most boring series of all time, I think Matt Hardy vs. Gregory Helms on Smackdown in 2006 should get a mention. It was perfectly fine, even good, the first couple times. By the time we got to their tenth consecutive match with little or no variation in formula, I never want to see that match again.

Sting's beard didn't help either.

Their match at Mayhem and the little backstage brawl they did were both good, but very underwhelming when you compare it to what it should have been. I second the Chad Collyer/Ace Steel feud.

Nasty Boys v. Harlem Heat. Unless seeing Stevie Ray doing moves off of the bottom rope is your kind of thing

They had a match at Fall Brawl in 1996 that was actually pretty good.

I think once Bret realized it didn't matter how hard he worked he was never getting above a certain level, Bret just stopped doing more than he really had to. And I'd say that happened very quickly, when the program with Flair was curtailed for the usual political reasons.

How about Andre vs. Big John Studd?

Oh good lord yes. Another famous series in wrestling history that was absolutely horrible. Now their '83 and '85 matches weren't sights for sore eyes but I saw an MSG match from their brief feud in '89 that ranks amongst the worst matches I've seen from a major promotion. I was going to post it here for you to revel in its awfulness but it looks like it's not on YouTube or DailyMotion.

Of course, we also can't forget that match they had at The Spectrum (I think in '83) with the nine minute headlock.

The sad thing is if you cut 7-8 minutes of that facelock out, it was actually a pretty fun match.

Bret was a broken man in WCW. Some of it was him not being used properly but he didn't help matters by just dogging it and not having memorable matches. Vince got just about all out of Bret that there was to get by 1997.

Booker vs. Christian isn't something I recall being actively horrible but mostly uninspired. The problem with that feud is it's two guys who both need to be somewhat carried to something above average. Put either guy in with someone better than them and you get a solid match...put them against each other and it's mediocre.

JBL vs. Batista anyone?

I found enjoyment in some of Bret's WCW matches. Bret vs. Benoit from Mayhem was good as was the first Bret vs. Flair match.

I didn't mind JBL vs. Batista once they realized that 20+ minute matches don't work out well for them. They had one horrible, long match at GAB 05, and then they had two shorter, gimmick matches at Summerslam and on Smackdown. And their match at No Mercy of this year was even shorter and more to the point.

Since the discussion has moved to include the most boring series of all time, I think Matt Hardy vs. Gregory Helms on Smackdown in 2006 should get a mention. It was perfectly fine, even good, the first couple times. By the time we got to their tenth consecutive match with little or no variation in formula, I never want to see that match again.

I actually really enjoyed their pay-per-view outings, but I wasn't watching Smackdown on a consistent basis at that time so I probably missed another 6-8 matches between those two, so I didn't really get a chance to get sick of it.

The Booker T/Robert Roode feud in TNA was dreadfully boring. Apply that to any Roode singles feud, just can't give a damn about any of it.

Xavier and John Walters didn't do much for me in ROH. It was a feud of bland vs bland

Sucks to be you.

*shrug* Xavier never peaked my interested wrestling wise or entertainment wise.

The Booker T/Robert Roode feud in TNA was dreadfully boring. Apply that to any Roode singles feud, just can't give a damn about any of it.

Didn't Robert Roode feud with Eric Young for a full year or so from late 2006 into 2007?

God yes, and it was terrible. The whole Young/Roode/Traci Stalker thing went on for-fecking-ever and never made the tiniest bit of sense. Rather like the Lethal/Dutt/Val thing, come to think of it. Or the Angle/Styles/Karen storyline. TNA always seems like it has some damn love triangle epic saga going on which they stretch out for agonizing endless months on end, without ever giving it a proper resolution.

I always looked at the AJ/Kurt/Karen thing as Angle and some of the bookers saying "The original love triangle you had with Steph and Hunter was great, but everyone hated the ending, so we're gonna fix it and do it right!" and then I don't remember how it ended but I bet it was bad

Booker/Christian takes it for me. I was already a card-carrying member of the "Christian SUCKS!" Fanclub by that point, but the series of matches with Booker made me hate him even more along with face Booker. The series was just horrifically boring and they should've just scrapped it after the second match.

More recently though, I'd give the nod to Edge/Batista. Yeesh...

I like the Edge v. Big Dave series. Not great matches, but they were laid out well enough to be entertaining, and it was funny how Edge always won

Kane vs. Big Show have feuded more than once and faced each other numerous times...not a good match in the bunch.

I loved when they tagged and I loved that match on a Raw a few years ago with them chain wrestling.

Shane McMahon vs Kane.

Shane got the better of him WAY too much in the series for it to have any believability. And I know Shane gets credit for his bumps, but I always hated them. dude would work a program once or twice a year, take a stupid bump, and get praised for it. I thought it was selfish and took away from the guys that had to work every night.

Shane McMahon vs Kane.

Shane got the better of him WAY too much in the series for it to have any believability. And I know Shane gets credit for his bumps, but I always hated them. dude would work a program once or twice a year, take a stupid bump, and get praised for it. I thought it was selfish and took away from the guys that had to work every night.

Dear God YES!!!!!!!!

The worst part about it was that Kane was really getting over at the time, and this just killed his appeal.