TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Worst Series of All Time

I know it's a stretch since it isn't a one on one feud but The Royal Rumble '95 thread in the 24/7 subfolder just reminded me of The Undertaker's absolutely terrible battles with The Million Dollar Corporation. Match with The Fake Taker? Terrible? Matches with IRS? Abysmal. Matches with King Kong Bundy? Awful. Matches with Kama? Boring as hell. I'm not sure if he had matches with "Nickel and Dime" Volkoff but they probably weren't very good either.

I'd argue that the feud was not only the low point of Taker's career (though he's had a career filled with them) but the low point of Ted DiBiase's career. He really just seemed like he was there for the pay check during his managerial run in the WWF. Even his evil laugh felt kind of half hearted. The only highlight was him humiliating Nikolai Volkoff. Because the thought of Nikolai Volkoff falling into hard times after the end of The Cold War and forced into indentured servitude can't possibly be not funny.

The image of a man wearing Ted DiBiase's $ tights with a cent sign is pretty great, but I think it ends there. I'm almost certain Sid was a member of the stable post Mania 11, but I can't think of why or any angles that involved him being there.

I can't really remember why Sid joined The Million Dollar Corporation either. All I know is it led to The Sid/Tatanka superteam at King of The Ring '95. Oh and I remember DiBiase siqued Sid on H.O.G. after Godwinn turned face by slopping DiBiase.

Edit: Looking up wikipedia, it appears Sid joined The Million Dollar Corporation to take Bam Bam Bigelow's place after he left. Makes sense since that would set up the aforementioned Sid/Tatanka Vs Diesel/Bam Bam Bigelow match.

One nice thing about the Million Dollar Corporation was it gave an excuse to use Ted's theme more often, including the Tatanka "Indian Warcry" remix.

I think all of Undertaker's awful feuds were the plot point of his Patented Russo Worked-Shoot Promo in 1998.

I remember, shortly after Nikolai sold out to DiBiase, telling my friends that we would probably see Virgil vs. Volkoff on the SummerSlam '94 card with Volkoff going over. His reaction was that of "Huh? Maybe on Superstars, but not at SummerSlam."

I was very wrong in this instance.

Yeah, UT's career sucked pretty hard in between the Yokozuna feud and the Nash feud. He did nothing at all for the entire year of 1995 except dick around in pointless matches with IRS, Bundy, Kama, etc. Oh and of course Mabel too.

Yeah but The Mabel feud did lead to The Undertaker's Phantom of The Opera mask...which was kind of cool, I guess...in a cheesy way, sort of.

I shudder to think that as bad as the Spring/Summer of '95 was for WWF, WCW was as bad and arguably worse during that time period. Given my lack of alternative options, it's no wonder why I abandoned wrestling for about a year.

Taker vs Orton does it for me. The reasons allready been given. The hiac was the worst i've seen since the Big Boss Man vs Taker at Mania that one year

The Edge vs Christian feud from 2001 didn't excite me that much either, that ladder match of theirs took ages

I'd like to throw in the 1996 Godwinns vs. Bodydonnas series, which seemed to be the WWF's counterpart to WCW's Harlem Heat/Nastys neverending tag team feud of suck. They feuded for the majority of the year and while the matches were never horrible, they quickly became boring and repetitive beyond belief.

I don't remember the workrate being wretched or anything, as I, memory aside, figure that Prichard and Candido would do just fine with the leadable Godwinns, but I might have a selective memory. Still, how can you dislike a championship program built around assflashing and pig slop?

I don't remember any of their matches being particularly good or horrible. Kind of boring but nowhere near the worst and didn't seem nearly as long as The Harlem Heat/Nasty Boys feud.

Plus the three way Godwinns/Smokin' Gunns/Bodydonnas feud led to the debut of Cloudy, which my non-wrestling fan dad still brings up to this day. He/she only made a few appearances but one of them just happened to be at the house show he took me and my brother to back in July '96.

I won't turn this into "what do your parents think about wrestling part deux" but the weird thing about my pops is the only things he likes on the weird times he watches wrestling are the exact things you think a non-wrestling fan would use as evidence that wrestling is retarded. The Stinkface (and anything Too Cool related), Chyna's mini-feud with Mark Henry, Cloudy, bra and panties matches. Dare I say that professional wrestling might be too high brow for my dad's tastes!

Kane vs. Big Show have feuded more than once and faced each other numerous times...not a good match in the bunch.

I loved when they tagged and I loved that match on a Raw a few years ago with them chain wrestling.

The chain wrestling match was just bizarre, but quite funny. The only good, (actually great) match I can remember these two having was their Extreme Rules match for the ECW title in Summer 2006. One of the few Extreme Rules matches from the new ECW that actually brought back memories of the old ECW for me.

Kane vs. Big Show have feuded more than once and faced each other numerous times...not a good match in the bunch.

I loved when they tagged and I loved that match on a Raw a few years ago with them chain wrestling.

The chain wrestling match was just bizarre, but quite funny. The only good, (actually great) match I can remember these two having was their Extreme Rules match for the ECW title in Summer 2006. One of the few Extreme Rules matches from the new ECW that actually brought back memories of the old ECW for me.

The chain wrestling match...what the hell were they trying to prove. That was just weird.

Big show has probably done more heel/face turns than anyone else since his time in the WWE

As soon as I saw the title Undertaker / DDP came to mind. I loved Page's opening promo when he revealed himself and said that the whole stalker angle was just a way to get to Taker and make a name. I can't remember how long this lasted but then for no reason they resurrected it. DDP was back to worshipping the horseface Sara Taker which was unbelievable on it's own, but absolutely ludicrous when you think of what he had at home. But the matches themselves were what really killed this series. It was bad enough that Taker won every single match, but the fact that he sold nothing throughout the entire series was the worst thing. Even a nut shot was only partially sold and that wasa only after Taker realized that he had to sell it or it would bring his manhood into question.

As soon as I saw the title Undertaker / DDP came to mind. I loved Page's opening promo when he revealed himself and said that the whole stalker angle was just a way to get to Taker and make a name. I can't remember how long this lasted but then for no reason they resurrected it. DDP was back to worshipping the horseface Sara Taker which was unbelievable on it's own, but absolutely ludicrous when you think of what he had at home. But the matches themselves were what really killed this series. It was bad enough that Taker won every single match, but the fact that he sold nothing throughout the entire series was the worst thing. Even a nut shot was only partially sold and that wasa only after Taker realized that he had to sell it or it would bring his manhood into question.

I don't think these two even had a one on one match. Just DDP jumping Taker and Taker whooping his ass and the prolonged squash tag team cage match at Summerslam.

Followed by DDP jobbing to Sara Horseface. Dave Meltzer tells a funny story in the latest Observer about how during this time period DDP wrote out a move-by-move match plan (as he was known to do) for a match with Undertaker. He then faxed it to Taker who promptly threw it away without looking at it. I'm guessing that whole deal was a contributing factor on why DDP was so quickly written off as not knowing how to work.

To be fair, I could see why that'd go down badly with certain members of the older generation of wrestlers. Those guys'd be used to knowing if things go wrong your opponent's capable of improvising if they have to. To get basically a script via fax, kinda off-putting, you'd think.

Not to say DDP wouldn't be capable. But the very fact he'd be writing up these plans would lead you to think he needs them, else he'd get lost during matches.

To be fair, I could see why that'd go down badly with certain members of the older generation of wrestlers. Those guys'd be used to knowing if things go wrong your opponent's capable of improvising if they have to. To get basically a script via fax, kinda off-putting, you'd think.

Not to say DDP wouldn't be capable. But the very fact he'd be writing up these plans would lead you to think he needs them, else he'd get lost during matches.

I agree with you, and it was probably the kiss of death for him when you consider they were just looking for reasons for newcomers from WCW to fail.

On a side note, the fact that both DDP and Randy Savage were known for their meticulous match planning probably explains why their 1997 WCW series was so good, at a time when Savage had become really broken down.

About 2 years ago, William Regal and David Taylor had this awful feud with Kane for a couple of weeks on SD. It set up the return of The Bogeyman to team with Kane against Regal/Taylor as the big payoff. 'Nuff said.

About 2 years ago, William Regal and David Taylor had this awful feud with Kane for a couple of weeks on SD. It set up the return of The Bogeyman to team with Kane against Regal/Taylor as the big payoff. 'Nuff said.

That was really random and horrible. I think Kane was set to take time off for surgery after Wrestlemania 23, so they had Khali squash him, but then he stuck around so they needed a quick feud to re-establish him. I remember at the time trying to think of a less appealing match than Kane vs. David Taylor.

I never knew that DDP story about him faxing his match planning to UT. I wonder if the end result was something like "And for the finish, I hit you with the Diamond Cutter for the 1-2-3 in the center, daddy!"

DDP's meticulous planning is great for having a decent match with a mediocre worker (Bagwell, even David Flair, or as noted a washed up Savage circa 1997), but it tends to limit what a great worker can do.