TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Jay Leno to remain with NBC

I'm watching this on Countdown right now. NBC will be remaining with NBC and getting a new evening talk show at 10 pm. If I'm hearing this right, he'll be keeping Eubanks and all of his skits, and will still be the same format as the Tonight Show is right now. Meanwhile Conan still gets the Tonight Show, and Jimmy gets teh short end of the stick.

Thoughts?

Anything that screws Jimmy and keeps him off television cannot be seen as a complete negative.

However they are screwing over Conan pretty bad here since now the old Tonight Show fans will just watch the 10pm version and probably blow off Conan.

I wonder if Conan losing to Craig Ferguson in the ratings made them a little leery of making him the main man.

I think it was more NBC not wanting to loose a proven ratings draw, but I agree Conan is getting screwed. I have to ask, though- is there any name value left for 'The Tonight Show'?

So I wonder how long Conan will last on the tonight show before he jumps for Fox and Leno goes back? I give it 2 years tops.

Well, their 10pm monday and thursday shows weren't coming back next year and Dateline is on overload anyway..just means they have to shift the two L&O's back an hour. But Leno will get killed in the ratings when it comes to actual shows as competition..

My initial reaction is that they may have screwed things up big time here. Keeping Jay away from the other networks is probably a good move, but I think it makes his fan base less likely to watch Conan, and also puts him up against actual competition on the other 3 networks. It'll be interesting to see how this works out. Any reports on how much they're paying him?

So basically NBC is doing to Conan, what they did to Letterman all over again. Fuck NBC.

In a perfect world for me, Conan and Ferguson would be the only two talk shows on late night. Oprah would leave tv forever, Ellen would go bye bye and they'd bring back Tony Danza.

That...that right there is bullshit!

In a perfect world for me, Conan and Ferguson would be the only two talk shows on late night. Oprah would leave tv forever, Ellen would go bye bye and they'd bring back Tony Danza.

I actually watched and liked Tony Danza's show...

*looks around*

I also like Ellen's show.

Ferguson - ^_^ Ferguson has been on a roll, which is well deserved. Although he doesn't get the bigger guests, he often has a better show than Conan. There is also something just so simple, honest, and working man about the show. I hope he gains viewers not impressed by Fallon's show.

Conan - :angry: What a slap in the face for Conan. The Tonight Show is his in name only. As long as Jay is still on NBC, Conan will play second fiddle; not just on NBC as I see many viewers getting their fix at 10 and going to sleep after the news. The fact that there will be 3 shows taped in the L.A. vicinity is crazy.

Leno - B-) I've always liked Jay, not because he is the best host/interviewer but because I enjoy his monologue. I did think it sucked that they were getting rid of him, whilst being the most popular show on the air. Realistically, it seems like the Tonight Show moves down to 10. And although he may not admit it, this has to make him feel like a million bucks. The issue will be doubling the rating, as at the moment he only averages 6 million viewers.

Letterman - :D The possibility that he may ride off into the sunset atop the 11:35 rating is pretty much guarranteed. I've believed Conan would have to rebuild his show and his viewer-base at the new timeslot to compete against Letterman, but with the Jay Leno Show, I presume some of Jay's fans will not want to stay up.

Fallon - :( I can't say that I'm a fan of Jimmy, but his Behind-the-Scenes video blog is pretty cool.

Late Night w/ Jimmy Fallon

The Roots (yay), the MTV-type set(boo), and the BIG CURTAIN (yay) makes for an interesting mix. I'll give it a shot. I don't think the addition of a new show will affect his show's rating- the 12:30 audience is the differnet from the 10pm one- this does take attention away from his show.

"Jay goes on for an hour. And then the news. Then Conan for another hour. and then we are wrapping it up. People are going to be ready for another hour of talk."

NBC - The good news is that Jay's older audience will most likely join him at the earlier time, but that's only about 6 million which is about half of what they would like at that timeslot. Will the positiveness of the cost-cutting outweigh the harsh vibes that must be brewing on Conan's end?

Regarding Conan's situatuion, I read an analogy in USA Today that I agree with.

It's as if you've been promoted to company president after years of hard work, only to find out that the guy your replacing has been promoted to C.E.O. and will have more power than ever.

Regarding Conan's situatuion, I read an analogy in USA Today that I agree with.

It's as if you've been promoted to company president after years of hard work, only to find out that the guy your replacing has been promoted to C.E.O. and will have more power than ever.

Basically it's Jericho becoming Champion, but the big feud is HHH vs. Angle.

I have liked Leno for a while, and I'm happy he is still around. He seemed to make enough noise about it though. I remember hearing that he didn't want to leave the TONIGHT SHOW, but was almost forced out so Conan could do the show, and that he would have gone anywhere else to have another show. I think NBC didn't want someone like FOX picking up Leno to go head to head with Conan.

Fallon's gonna still be taking over Conan's current time slot, 2Gold.

A man can dream of a world without Jimmy Fallon on television for Christmas can't he?

Cause next year, that dream is dead.

I love how everyone is butthurt over Conan being disrespected when they were pretty much forcing Leno out because i'm assuming they promised the Tonight Show to Conan during a contract negotiation or something.

I love how everyone is butthurt over Conan being disrespected when they were pretty much forcing Leno out because i'm assuming they promised the Tonight Show to Conan during a contract negotiation or something.

That's pretty much what happened when Conan's contract was up a few summers ago.

So NBC is going to be happy with 3.0s every night??

This won't last very long.

No, mole. They obviously will do a bigger audience given that they're on a better timeslot.

Leno is the one who in 2004 said he wanted to announce his retirement 5 years in advance to avoid the whole Dave-Jay fiasco and to give Conan a seamless transition.

Guess not.

I for one see nothing really wrong with it as a viewer. I get to see Conan (whose show I like) an hour earlier. I never got to watch him at the 12:35 slot. And I would have missed Leno. Now I get to watch him at an earlier hour.

Of course Conan must be feeling dissed. But what can he do? It's not like he can threaten to jump to CBS.

I've always found part of Conan's charm is being an underdog who interviews people in Texas about his show airing at 2:35 am, airs bumpers from NBC that have a 30 second long Leno ad followed by a 1 second mention of his show, and stuff like "Kid's Drawings" that show Jerry Seinfeld with a wheelbarrow of money and Conan with one coin. Conan getting 'the big show' is like The Connors winning the lottery.

I've always found part of Conan's charm is being an underdog who interviews people in Texas about his show airing at 2:35 am, airs bumpers from NBC that have a 30 second long Leno ad followed by a 1 second mention of his show, and stuff like "Kid's Drawings" that show Jerry Seinfeld with a wheelbarrow of money and Conan with one coin. Conan getting 'the big show' is like The Connors winning the lottery.

I actually agree with this.

Plus, the Burbank crowd is gonna fuck everything up. There will be way more people and won't be like the NY crowd. Plus I'm guessing he'll have to tone down some of his stuff which means bye bye to masturbating bear, vomiting kermit, etc.

"Jay goes on for an hour. And then the news. Then Conan for another hour. and then we are wrapping it up. People are going to be ready for another hour of talk."

Is Carson Daly going away?

Isn't he on for like 10 minutes a night anyway? I'm shocked he's still on the air