TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jebus

2009 Golden Globes Nominations

I pretty much completely forgot it was Heath Ledger or that this "Heath Ledger" had died while I was watching the movie, so I'll agree.

Award shows are just about the worst ever, but I perceive the Golden Globes to be shittier than all of them. I think it has to do with the fact that it's generally a bunch of people sitting at round tables smirking. Tends to give off the vibe of either a night out to see Annie Get Your Gun at the local dinner theater, or a "Let's all enjoy the fine catering of Doubletree Hotel Conference Room C" moment at the end of a week-long business convention.

From what I've read btw, Bob's right, within the industry the Globes are seen as being on the approximate same level as an MTV Movie Award in terms of legitimate celebration of artistic greatness.

Where'd you read that??

From what I've read btw, Bob's right, within the industry the Globes are seen as being on the approximate same level as an MTV Movie Award in terms of legitimate celebration of artistic greatness.

Where'd you read that??

Again, I think this was pretty well known

^what he said. common knowledge. a couple years ago ebert said something to the effect of, "they're certainly not the oscars and just above the people's choice awards."

I dunno about that. Why is there so much coverage for it? Why do TV ads showcase a movie as being a GG winner? You never hear that for a People's Choice or even a SAG.

You guys might be right, but I just don't see it. Until I hear an actor/actress/producer say it, I'll think it means something to them.

HOWEVER, I watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona last night and by no means necessary is that a comedy. Just because it's a Woody Allen film, doesn't make it a comedy. I don't think I laughed once throughout the whole movie. I laughed more times through Gran Torino (which got shafted).

And I just noticed this, but James Franco got nominated for Pineapple Express? I loved the movie, I just didn't think it was award movie material.

I watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona last night and by no means necessary is that a comedy. Just because it's a Woody Allen film, doesn't make it a comedy. I don't think I laughed once throughout the whole movie. I laughed more times through Gran Torino (which got shafted).

And I just noticed this, but James Franco got nominated for Pineapple Express? I loved the movie, I just didn't think it was award movie material.

What does award movie material mean?

And Franco gave a great performance, totally playing against type and surprising everyone. A nomination in the comedy category was warranted.

They submitted Vicky as a comedy because it's an easier category to get nominations in. Rebecca Hall got a nomination, because she's set to be a breakout star, and they couldn't nominate her for Frost/Nixon, since she does nothing in the movie.

That's why the Globes are a joke. Eternal Sunshine was in the comedy category a few years ago, and if that was a comedy, than it sucked.

I liked her a lot, and think she's really hot, but no, a nomination was not deserved.

Penelope Cruz deserves one though, great performance. Also liked her in Elegy.

The SAG nods are a good precursor to the acting nominations for the Oscars, since a lot of them overlap membership.

I saw the Globes gave Winslet a double dip- that's probably what they're doing to ensure she doesn't split the vote and screw herself out of a nomination.

No, I haven't. I really want to, but I'm waiting for it to go wide so I can just combine it with a few other movies instead of trekking to the city. I saw Changeling, liked it a lot, though it had its flaws- it's ranked 17th on my list.

Because I'm competing with friends to see who can see the most 2008 movies, and January 9 is our deadline.

I usually make the second-third Friday in January my deadline, so I can finish up the year and finalise my list.

Huh. Guess I should watch Slumdog Millionaire.

Anna Pacquin?! She wasn't even the third-best actress on that show, let alone the best actress on any dramatic series anywhere on television.

Anyone else seen both The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road? Anyone else struck by the sharp disparity between the performances that won Best Actor and Best Actress? I mean, I adore Kate Winslet and I'm happy she went home with some loot, but this wasn't anywhere near her best work.

Yea, I think Winslet winning two was just because they felt sorry for her.

I thought she was great in Rev Road (as was Leo), but I couldn't get into The Reader.