TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest godthedog

Best Female Rock Vocalists

Guest godthedog

there was a 'best rock vocalist'-type topic here a while ago, and i don't remember any chicks getting mentioned. i think female vocalists tend to get lost in the fray, so here's your chance to name your favorite. and don't plead ignorance, cause i know all you guys were around for the big chick rock explosion of the early 90s.

my favorites: tori amos and hope sandoval (mazzy star)

runners-up: beth gibbons (portishead) and kim deal (i would like the pixies so much more if she'd been the lead singer)

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

I don't know if she could properly be called rock, but my favorite female vocalist is Diamanda Galas.

Also Lydia Lunch, Sheena Easton, and Siouxsie Sioux

Guest redbaron51

Tori Amos probably...

but none I mean none, does not have the best voice comparied to KELLY OSBOURNE

:rolleyes:

Guest Coffin Surfer

Annke from the Gathering, is simply the best rock vocalists out there period.

As well as the girl from Aghora.

And the growler from Arch Enemy. She's hot too.

Sorry, If I can't remember exact names at the moment. I could guess and misspell them, but I'd look even stupider.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
Annke from the Gathering, is simply the best rock vocalists out there period.

Damn you Danny, you beat me too it! When she took over vocal duties, they went from being good to bloody amazing. I love her, and them.

I'll second the votes for Tori Amos and Beth Gibbons, and also put one in for Liz Phair. She doesn't "sing" all the time, but she's got a great voice, and man, she kicks ass. Anyone who does a semi-nude pictorial based around the famous "5 shots or 6" monologue from Dirty Harry in the liner notes of her debut album is quite possibly the best person ever.

Guest Madmartigan21

The be all and end all to female rock vocalists is

Pat FUCKING Benatar.

End of discussion. There is not a single female in the history of rock that could or can sing better than Pat Benatar.

Guest PlatypusFool

"kim deal (i would like the pixies so much more if she'd been the lead singer)"

:o MY GOD, HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?! She added good vocals to the Pixies, yes, but her instead of Frank Black?! Are you MAD?! Frank Black is one of the most accomplished vocalists of the 90's, he could carry a tune with amazing ability, and the innovative things he did like the yelps, the screams and the rasping mexican styled vocals added SO much more than Kim Deal ever could have done.

Back on topic, the woman out of The Bellrays is meant to be pretty good. But the fact is, when it comes to people like Aimee Echo, females just don't work as well as males when it comes to fronting a heavy band, so my vote goes to Kim Deal or woman from Bellrays.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Joan Jett

Wendy O. Williams (The Plasmatics)

Chick from Arch Enemy

Chick from The Gathering

Chick from Lacuna Coil

Chick from Theatre Of Tragedy

Guest Kinetic

PJ Harvey, prior to 1999. I'd pinpoint that as the year where she turned into Chrissie Hynde. Oh, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that Bjork is a rock vocalist but...she rocks. And, uh, I really like Sinead O'Connor's voice. A lot.

Guest godthedog
Anyone who does a semi-nude pictorial based around the famous "5 shots or 6" monologue from Dirty Harry in the liner notes of her debut album is quite possibly the best person ever.

i've got the vinyl copy of 'exile in guyville', and i swear i can see a bit of nip on the cover photo too.

Guest Kinetic

::grabs CD::

Ha! I see it. Lower right-hand side. I can't believe I've always hated this cover.

Guest Incandenza

Better a partial nip shot from Liz Phair than PJ Harvey's whole right boob on the back cover of Dry, sez I. Harvey can make very sexy music, but I don't find her physically attractive at all.

Guest Kinetic

You can see full-frontal PJ Harvey nudity in the liner notes of Four-Track Demos, albeit wrapped in plastic. It might just be the sort of mentality that drives girls to be groupies, but I think PJ is fairly attractive.

Plus, she's a better vocalist than Liz Phair. But that's neither here nor there.

Guest saturnmark4life

yes, frank black is one of the best vocalists ever, the pixies wouldn't have been half as good if kim had sung ALL the songs. she's good, but no, GOD NO.

Guest Incandenza
You can see full-frontal PJ Harvey nudity in the liner notes of Four-Track Demos, albeit wrapped in plastic. It might just be the sort of mentality that drives girls to be groupies, but I think PJ is fairly attractive.

I'll have to pick that up one of these days, but the site of her anorexic body in underwear on the cover is none-too-thrilling.

Guest dreamer420

I'm going to say Sheryl Crow. She has more talent in her pinky than most musicians out there. I'd put Aimee Mann in second place.

Guest Kinetic

I'll have to pick that up one of these days, but the site of her anorexic body in underwear on the cover is none-too-thrilling.

It isn't really worth having if you've already got Rid of Me. It's just a lot inferior-sounding versions of the same songs.

On the Pixies thing: We've all heard the Breeders and they're not as good as the Pixies, so that should settle everything. The Pixies wouldn't be the Pixies without Black Francis. His howling and yelping are part of what made that band so good.

Guest redbaron51

Janis Jopelin(sp?) is a god awful singer that makes my ears bleed

Guest godthedog

black's yelping and howling just doesn't do anything for me. it's more effective for me if you just sing straight, without trying to do anything cute. and when he did sing straight, there just wasn't anything distinctive. vocally, the breeders sound better to me than the pixies.

i know i'm very much in the minority on this, so whatever.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

1. Lita Ford.

2. Joan Jett.

3. Chicks from Heart.

4. Pat Benetar

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

They're not exactly huge, but I just remembered another: based out of upstate New York, there's this melodic hardcore band named From Autumn to Ashes. They've got a ton of vocalists, and for a lot of their softer part, they use a really, really talented girl. I've got no idea of her name, but if you like hardcore tempered with a little bit of sweetness amidst the growling, she does great work.

Guest shlidgn90

heres my favorites:

tori amos

aimee mann

sarah maclachlan(what a great voice)

i am also starting to listen to joni mitchell lately.

Guest Downhome

I know that you all will think I'm crazy, but my pick is the one and the f*cking only, Jewel Kilcher. She is Gods gift to all that is music, and is my favorite vocalist of all time...PERIOD! :) :) :)

Guest swan
And the growler from Arch Enemy. She's hot too.

You mean her? (Look at sig)?

Guest Mark4steamboat

Wendy O. Williams

The Distillers...the singer from Rancid's wife.

Shirley Manson

Joan Jett