TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just John

Rock Band Draft

Gorillaz_group.jpg

Gorillaz.

Dammit, I was hoping they'd slip under the radar, they were probably my next pick. And Jesus, I didn't even think of Sly & The Family Stone. Brutal one-two punch there.

... oh dammit. Usually I catch this sort of stuff even when not PMed since I track draft threads I'm in but this time I slipped up. Anyway, since Dethklok and Gorillaz have set a precedence for fictional bands that have actually released albums and tours, and I keep missing out on drafting Nigel Tufnel somewhere...

spinal_tap_wideweb__470x4610.jpg

Spinal Tap

Ok, I don't wanna be a band nazi here because ultimately, keeping these things moving is more important than arguing what qualifies and what doesn't, but we really need to stray away from picking funk bands as rock bands. I'm going to make Nighthawk re-pick.

As a litmus test for the future, if Wiki doesn't have some type of rock or metal listed as one genre of music for a given band, it ain't rock in here. That should keep it fairly open, but does provide clear limits.

Oh, and I pick Foreigner

foreigner.jpg

But they're listed as one of the most influential "rock" bands in a lot of publications. Same for Bob Marley and The Wailers, and Sly and The Family Stone. They're in the damn Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

The R/R HOF isn't a great barometer becuase they induct a lot of influential people who wouldn't generally be classified under rock. Aretha Franklin is in the R/R HOF, and I've never seen her work labeled as "rock."

We gotta have a cutoff somewhere, otherwise this slope's gonna get slipperier and slipperier.

The Rock N Roll HOF is pretty much the "Music in General HOF".

If being in the RnR HOF qualifies you as a rock band, then my next pick will be Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five.